Or anyone that may know the answer!

I always use to keep my old phone after getting a new one just incase something would happen to my current because I never wanted to pay the 5$ a month for insurance on the crappy phones I use to buy.

Now that I have the Storm I immediately added the insurance on once the phone arrived and was just wondering if Verizon buys back your old phones by chance? I'm just wondering because I know they offer refurbished so I figured it may be a possibility?

Thanks in advance! I just figured it'd be easier than setting up and shipping through eBay or Craigslist.
    04-15-09 12:06 PM
    You may still be able to take advantage of the BB trade up program. There is a time limit.

The BlackBerry Trade Up Program gives you cash towards the purchase of a new BlackBerry Smartphone: Home

You can trade in several phones at once.
    04-15-09 12:08 PM
    I need TwinXdad to explain to this guy why Verizon insurance is a joke. You are better off insuring the phone yourself.
    04-15-09 12:10 PM
    I'll look into the trade thing, thank you!

And is that so? If that's the case I certainly believe you I'd just appreciate an explanation How would I insure it elsewhere then? Would I go through RIM directly?
    04-15-09 03:06 PM
    I insure my phones through my house insurance. Its like $20 a year and they will cover the phone up to $250 with $0 deductible. I find it to be a much better deal than insurance through carriers (asurion) I believe you can get higher amounts as well but $250 is enough for me for now.
    04-15-09 03:32 PM
    I need TwinXdad to explain to this guy why Verizon insurance is a joke. You are better off insuring the phone yourself.
    I insure my phones through my house insurance. Its like $20 a year and they will cover the phone up to $250 with $0 deductible. I find it to be a much better deal than insurance through carriers (asurion) I believe you can get higher amounts as well but $250 is enough for me for now.
    There are so many better options than the carrier plans. The carrier plans will only promise a refurb device and will not even promise a like device. Your refurb replacement may have cosmetic defects, including scratches, scrapes & cracks. Your BlackBerry might be replaced with an LG flipper & there isn't a thing you can do about it.

For little or no added cost, homeowner, renter and even auto insurance can cover you, providing a new device of equal or less value, with little or no deductible.

For me, if I lose or damage a phone, I call VZW, order a new phone at full price. They add it to my bill. When it comes in, I fax my claim form, along with the invoice copy & they mail me a check. The check usually gets to you before the bill from the carrier does.

Mine costs about $70/year on top of my regular insurance but also includes coverage for my laptops, desktop computers and other personal electronics. If I didn't want computer coverage, the phones are covered at no charge.

If you don't have normal insurance channels, personal article insurance is available from many old-line, full range insurance companies.

Carrier coverage is a joke.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-09 04:12 PM
    Or anyone that may know the answer!

I always use to keep my old phone after getting a new one just incase something would happen to my current because I never wanted to pay the 5$ a month for insurance on the crappy phones I use to buy.

Now that I have the Storm I immediately added the insurance on once the phone arrived and was just wondering if Verizon buys back your old phones by chance? I'm just wondering because I know they offer refurbished so I figured it may be a possibility?

Thanks in advance! I just figured it'd be easier than setting up and shipping through eBay or Craigslist.
    I guess it would help if I read the OP!

VZW does not buy back phones. They do occasionally offer recons/refurbs, but these are generally devices returned during Worry Free.

04-15-09 04:32 PM
    I got my dare stolen and got brand new one from asurion

No vzw does not buy back phones but you can donate it to hopeline..

04-15-09 04:37 PM
    I got my dare stolen and got brand new one from asurion
    This was good for you - then again, have you looked under the battery for stickers?

Nah - never mind. What do you know, anyway - you live in ARIZONA!

Coming to the Tea Party tonight?

04-15-09 04:41 PM
    Thanks Twin!!!!

You p@@P facts!!!
    04-15-09 10:55 PM
    BB trade-up that ****
    04-15-09 11:05 PM
    This was good for you - then again, have you looked under the battery for stickers?

Nah - never mind. What do you know, anyway - you live in ARIZONA!

Coming to the Tea Party tonight?

I checked and I also can check ESN history. It was a new one, I requested a new piece of equipment when I ordered it. The lady said she couldn't guarantee it, so I spoke to a manager who could . I told her when I file an insurance claim on any other piece of equipment I do not get a refurbished piece of equipment .

No, unfortunately I did not. I protest taxes by buying online
    04-16-09 01:59 AM
    OH MY GOODNESS!!! I stopped right in the middle of reading here, and called my agent!! They're checking on it for me!! YAY! That would be awesome if I can do that on my policy!!!
    04-16-09 01:43 PM

For me, if I lose or damage a phone, I call VZW, order a new phone at full price. They add it to my bill. When it comes in, I fax my claim form, along with the invoice copy & they mail me a check. The check usually gets to you before the bill from the carrier does.

Mine costs about $70/year on top of my regular insurance but also includes coverage for my laptops, desktop computers and other personal electronics. If I didn't want computer coverage, the phones are covered at no charge.

If you don't have normal insurance channels, personal article insurance is available from many old-line, full range insurance companies.

TwinsDad, I'm assuming you aren't receiving ridiculous rates upon renewal, right? I would assume it wouldn't be like filing a claim on your car or house. Is it a policy 'rider' or something?

I'm SOOOOO EXCITED!!
    04-16-09 01:47 PM
    There are so many better options than the carrier plans. The carrier plans will only promise a refurb device and will not even promise a like device. Your refurb replacement may have cosmetic defects, including scratches, scrapes & cracks. Your BlackBerry might be replaced with an LG flipper & there isn't a thing you can do about it.

For little or no added cost, homeowner, renter and even auto insurance can cover you, providing a new device of equal or less value, with little or no deductible.

I also have coverage through my house insurance on laptops/tvs/computers and other electronics, although that I have at a $100 deductible for a cheaper rate. I can't remember how much it is, but it was very reasonable being bundled with my house insurance instead of going through asurion and other insurance carriers for all the personal electronics. For laptops for example accidental damage is normally about $150 to $200, with this its covered. Plus if it gets damaged I just buy a replacement and mail my invoice to the insurance agent and they reimburse me up to whatever my amount is. (I can't remember what I did but its somewhere around $3000 I think)
    04-16-09 02:07 PM
    TwinsDad, I'm assuming you aren't receiving ridiculous rates upon renewal, right? I would assume it wouldn't be like filing a claim on your car or house. Is it a policy 'rider' or something?

I'm SOOOOO EXCITED!!
    It is a policy rider - many have it & don't realize it. Read your policy or see your agent for details. I am sure that if I made too many claims, my rate would increase, but if you make more than two Asurion claims in a calendar year on the same line, they cancel you until your next new phone.

04-16-09 02:21 PM
    While I won't argue that coverage through an outside insurer may be a better option for people that currently have homeowner insurance or other insurance policies, the other information in this quote is misleading. It does say in the Asurion policy that devices may be refurbished and have cosmetic defects, but as an employee I can tell you for a fact that if you receive a refurb and it actually does have some kind of issue with scratches or cracks on arrival we will definitely send out a reshipment at no charge, and that reship will likely be with a brand new device. The bit about replacing the blackberry with an lg flipper is hogwash. The only instance where the phone is not replaced with the same make/model is if that make/model is not in stock, and in that event, a comparable device is offered, not just some generic flip phone. The comp model has to be of like kind and quality. The "there isn't a thing you can do about it" part is simply untrue. Asurion is very understanding with their customers and will bend over backwards to keep a customer happy. That being said, exceptions do happen, but it is rare.

As far as coverage with Asurion being a joke, it is actually a very good option for most people. Not everyone has homeowner's insurance or other insurance that a rider policy can be tacked on to.
    04-16-09 04:48 PM
    While I won't argue that coverage through an outside insurer may be a better option for people that currently have homeowner insurance or other insurance policies, the other information in this quote is misleading. .....
    As far as coverage with Asurion being a joke, it is actually a very good option for most people. Not everyone has homeowner's insurance or other insurance that a rider policy can be tacked on to.
    First, a statement. Not all plans require homeowner/auto/renter coverage.

Okay - now I have a question for you. If Asurion were to hold to their published agreement, can people refer to your statement as overriding that agreement? Are you in a position to make or change written policy? I mean, you did admit the info I referenced is in fact, published and I know it is legally binding.

When push comes to shove, that printed agreement & terms is all the customer has. The smart consumer would go by what is in writing and not what the company practices today, as those practices could change tomorrow. Even though Asurion is a part of Liberty Mutual, I would not trust what is said by a representative of the company - only what is written & verifiably advertised. Being part of Liberty tells me Asurion is likely to be there tomorrow, but in the current downward state of political affairs, maybe not the next day.

Besides, all of the consumer groups strongly oppose purchasing carrier insurance, ranking it down there with extended warranties, attorneys & politicians.

When you can prove to me that not only do you have policy authority AND have changed the policies & terms, come back & let us know. Until then, you could be anyone - from a call-center rep to a 7-11 clerk and not the Asurion policymaker.

Sorry - I am not trying to be mean or nasty - just realistic. As such, I will stand by (and defend) my position on the really poor financial choice carrier insurance is.

04-16-09 05:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD