Can you add a BlackBerry device to a family plan?
    I am planning to get a BlackBerry when my two year upgrade comes around. I have never owned a smartphone before but a series of touch screen phones. So I have a few questions.

1. Can you add a BlackBerry device to an existing family plan?
    2. Will my current data plan which gives me unlimited texting migrate over?
    3. Are there new fees I will be looking into having to pay?
    4. Will my current data plan covering over the air migrate over?

When is the Bold expected to release because I am not getting the upgrade untill 2/09 but looking into it early. If not is the Pearl better or worse in your opinion then the Curve.
    Last edited by kda2011; 08-10-08 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Updated Information
    08-10-08 05:02 PM
    1) Yes, you can add a BlackBerry to any plan...

2) Yeah. Your plan will remain the same, texting and all. But you may wanna add a data plan for your Berry

3) Data Plan

4) If you do not have a BlackBerry data plan... switch from your old data plan to a BlackBerry data plan

Welcome to CrackBerry!
    08-10-08 05:05 PM
    little hard to answer without knowing what carrier you have service with. typically the family plan covers the voice portion of the service, and the data plan covers the BB side. I have 4 BB's on my family plan, and it has never changed my family plan for voice, I've just had to add the BB data plan for each BB as it was added to the account. AT&T works same way == but you'll have to check with your own provider to confirm -- but you'll probably be ok. Some carriers are looking for any way possible to break the grandfather clause on older and attractive family plans so ask lots of questions.

Your BB data plan will prob cost you ~~$30. Sprint throws in unlimited text messaging, AT&T charges for text plan in addition, ymmv.

BB data plans are uniquie to the BB, but whatever old data plan you have will go away with the old device.
    08-10-08 05:08 PM
    What am I looking at as for as pricing for BlackBerry data plans? The Verizon Wireless Website doesn't show the data plans without voice (unless someone has a link).
    08-10-08 05:12 PM
    What am I looking at as for as pricing for BlackBerry data plans? The Verizon Wireless Website doesn't show the data plans without voice (unless someone has a link).
    Verizon BIS data is $30, if I remember correctly
    08-10-08 05:15 PM
    Verizon BIS data is $30, if I remember correctly
    Sorry for my ignorance but what does "BIS" stand for?
    08-10-08 05:19 PM
    Blackberry internet service
    08-10-08 05:29 PM
    Blackberry internet service
    Is that unlimited/and cover emails?
    08-10-08 05:33 PM
    This is most likey the service you need to set up email. You will pay for the data usage under the BB data plan. This is 29.99 per month
    08-10-08 05:35 PM
    yes it is unlimited and it does include email
    08-10-08 05:35 PM
    Also including applications I assume.
    08-10-08 05:39 PM
    Yes, the data plan give you unlim data on the device for anything that uses data. Applications, web, email. The only exception is tethering - this is when you use the BB as a modem while connecting to a computer
    08-10-08 05:42 PM
    Also including applications I assume.
    Yes... Blackberry Internet Service includes email, data, etc and is unlimited on the $30 Verizon plan!

On BIS you can use apps that need data...
    08-10-08 05:44 PM
    Can you add a BlackBerry device to a family plan?
    I am planning to get a BlackBerry when my two year upgrade comes around. I have never owned a smartphone before but a series of touch screen phones. So I have a few questions.

1. Can you add a BlackBerry device to an existing family plan?
    2. Will my current data plan which gives me unlimited texting migrate over?
    3. Are there new fees I will be looking into having to pay?
    4. Will my current data plan covering over the air migrate over?

When is the Bold expected to release because I am not getting the upgrade untill 2/09 but looking into it early. If not is the Pearl better or worse in your opinion then the Curve.
    Yes you can add a blackberry to an existing family plan. I have 2 blackberrys on my family plan and they just add the blackberry service to the plan.($29.99each) All your existing texting plans are the same, as the blackberry is a separate plan. I just changed my family plan to the select plan which gives all users unlimited texting/pics/video instead of adding to each phone. But if you are a user of Get it Now and the music/video feature it doesn't work with blackberrys. I even asked about their premium plan which has everything...unlimited texting, mobile web, Get it Now and navigator, they said that I still would have to get the blackberry service added. The data plan(internet) and blackberry plan are different. Don't get me wrong, I love my blackberry but if I knew all that I might have gotten a different phone, like the Glyde or Dare. Hope this helps ! Still
    08-11-08 02:22 AM
    the other posters sum it up
    08-11-08 08:10 AM
    1) Yes, you can add a BlackBerry to any plan...

2) Yeah. Your plan will remain the same, texting and all. But you may wanna add a data plan for your Berry

3) Data Plan

4) If you do not have a BlackBerry data plan... switch from your old data plan to a BlackBerry data plan

Welcome to CrackBerry!
    you are so correct and as for wich bb to get its all up to you...... you wont be disapointed with any of the bb
    i love my curve
    08-11-08 02:42 PM
    Yes to all your questions I had a palm prior going to berry!
    08-12-08 12:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD