Hi All,

I am an iPhone and Android user who has never used a Blackberry much before. I bought a Playbook when it came out, and am so impressed with that device (except for the lack of native email and general poor state of the tablet's version of AppWorld, which is frustrating) that I am very interested in getting a BB Bold 9900/9930. I actually purchased prepaid BB Curve 3G from US Virgin Mobile to use with the Playbook, and whilst I liked the BlackBerry itself and want to see more, that particular device was slow and underpowered, and I was not impressed with Virgin's coverage either. In addition, the BB Bridge connection to the Playbook was very unreliable (I have heard Bridge is much improved lately, though). So, I returned the Curve.

However, I have heard and seen so many good things about the BB Bold 9900/9930 that I am seriously considering purchasing one. I am currently using an HTC Thunderbolt on US Verizon (a phone with no small issues itself....) and so I went to a Verizon store to look at the Bold 9930. I was very impressed, to say the least. I have a few questions, and would appreciate if very much someone here would be able to take the time to answer for me. I could (and will) ask Verizon the same questions, but I would love to take advantage of the collective knowledge, experience and perspective of those in this forum beforehand!

1) I notice the Bold 9930 in addition to US CDMA bands also has GSM Quad-band and UMTS European/Non-US bands. Although I'm living in the US, I am originally from Scotland, and travel there frequently, and have local UK SIM cards I would like to use whilst over there. Does anyone have experience of getting an unlock code for a Bold 9930 from Verizon? Do you know their unlocking policy? Would it depend on how I bought the phone (contract, full-retail, or prepaid)?

2) Speaking of prepaid - the sales card next to the phone in the store mentioned a prepaid price of US$449.99. I take that to mean that the phone could be purchased on their prepaid plans - however on their website does not offer this option. I am wondering if it's an in-store-only deal, or else an error on the sales card? Does anyone have any experience buying one on prepaid from Verizon?

3) Verizon's prepaid plans offer an "unlimited" data plan for Blackberrys - does anyone know if this is truly unlimited - or if there are hidden caps? Unfortunately, no unlimited Blackberry data option seems to be offered on their contract plans anymore.

3) Does anyone have experience of using Google Voice on a BlackBerry? I would be using Google Voice mainly for voicemail, and international calls. In the medium to long term however, I may switch to using my Google Voice number as my main number (since I have too-many-phones-itis)...

Thank you very much in advance for any help and advice!

Craig
    08-27-11 01:06 AM
    Quite honestly these are more so Verizon related questions then Bold 9930 related questions.. I'm gonna move this to the Verizon forums, you'll likely get more answers there about VZW service offerings.
    08-27-11 01:31 AM
    Anything google works better on a android device than a blackberry. If you are a google user I suggest you stick with android. I left android and came back to blackberry for communications reasons not that its a better device. I can do a lot more on my android device than my blackberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-11 07:40 AM
    1) I've heard that if you use a verizon world phone then while you may be able to switch out the sim card, you will only get 2g data while out of America (very slow data speeds)

2) The best way to answer this would be to ask a sales clerk

3) If it is unlimited on Verizon there is usually a 5GB soft cap (they will throttle your speeds down after 5GB) but I wouldn't worry about this because I use Pandora alot and surf the web everyday on my blackberry and I've never went over 2GB because of Blackberry's data compression

4) You put 3 twice lol but anyways Google does have a google voice app for blackberry and for my light usage of it, it works fine for me. Of course it was already posted that any thing google will work better on android so if you want the absolute best google voice experience you'll have to go android.
    08-27-11 10:17 AM
    As far as unlocking it, if you look in the unlocking section of the forum you will find a good resource of very cheap codes or even free if you look hard enough. As far as prepaid vs. postpaid, you truly would get unlimited which it wouldn't be bad but having to shell out 500 smackeroos for a phone is scary for most people. Honestly even though I don't like it, the 2GB plan is more than enough for the Bold Touch. But you wouldn't be tied to a contract with prepaid so maybe compare to see if it would be cheaper in the long run. Another option would be to get it on like Sprint or AT&T or T-Mobile and see if their coverage/plans would work better for you too.
    08-27-11 01:54 PM
    I'm currently with Verizon with my unlocked Bold 9650 (bridged with my PB!) and have used the Bold in England, Italy, Hong Kong, and the Philippines, so I think I can answer some of your questions based on my experiences during the past year.

1) Verizon unlocked by Bold for free after I upgraded to it from the Tour 9630 last year. Back then, the rep told me that they do that as long as I've been with Verizon for at least 6 months and am in good standing (i.e., payments have been on time). I can't tell you if that policy is for contract, full-retail, and prepaid, but I'm on contract. Oh, and just a quick thing on the other response regarding only getting 2G coverage overseas, I don't believe that's correct. In all places I've gone to, I was able to get 3G coverage and the Bold only switched to 2G in bad coverage areas. However, I understand that if I switched to AT&T or T-Mobile here in the U.S., kept my Bold 9650, and just put the AT&T SIM into it, then I would only get 2G (at best) anywhere in the U.S.

2) I have no experience with prepaid, so I can't answer this.

3) I'll answer your last comment/question first, so that you can ignore the rest of the answers about the unlimited plan since it may not apply to you. The reason you don't see any unlimited BB data plans is because Verizon has switched to tiered plans. If you are currently on one like me, you can keep it even as you upgrade your phone as long as you don't make changes (e.g., switching from BIS to BES) to it. So, if you're still wondering about the unlimited plan...I've heard that Verizon's "unlimited" plan is technically a 5 GB plan, meaning that if you start using more than 5 GB per month, they'll do "something". Reading these forums, that "something" could be a warning, automatic cancellation of your unlimited plan, or getting charged *a lot* for that month. With that said, even after I got my PB and used it bridged with my Bold, I have yet to go over 500 MB. I use both a lot, but I have wi-fi at work and at home, and I don't (regularly) stream movies or download large files, so your mileage may vary. It's possible that my usage would go up now that the bridge allows me to use practically any app on my PB even without any wi-fi (Have you read about that with the latest PB OS update? AWESOME!), but I'd be surprised if I start going above 1 GB on a regular basis.

3b) My only experience with Google Voice on my Bold is for v-mail...or really visual v-mail the way I use it. I have it configured so that any calls that I don't answer on my Bold get routed to my Google Voice v-mail, then use their v-mail with transcription services to get a quick idea of what the callers said. The transcription is a bit inconsistent with its accuracy, but at least I can skip around and listen to just the v-mails I want to. Based on that experience, it's worked for me fine (not including the accuracy of the transcription). But, as was said in the other response, Google services work best on Android phones. Google Voice is just better integrated with my wife's Droid Charge than it is to my Bold, where it definitely feels more like an third-party app.

Hope that helps!
    08-28-11 09:25 AM
    There is a way to get SMS working with Google Talk which may not be a bad option (have to Google) if you do use GV. Just FYI.
    08-28-11 01:26 PM
    Can't speak to the 9930 specifically, but I contacted VZW Global Services and they they walked me through the steps to unlock a Storm 1 (9530). As long as the phone currently has, or had VZW service in the past, and you are a VZW customer in good standing, then this unlocking service is free.

The "World" phones such as the 9930 do not support GSM 3G in North America. Only voice and EDGE data here (once they are unlocked). But they support GSM 3G overseas just fine. GSM providers use a different frequency for 3G in Europe than in North America.
    08-29-11 12:13 PM
    Anything google works better on a android device than a blackberry. If you are a google user I suggest you stick with android. I left android and came back to blackberry for communications reasons not that its a better device. I can do a lot more on my android device than my blackberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Huh? Gmail syncs just fine, maps work well, sync work just fine. There is no reason to downgrade to Android if you are a Google user.

9930 is a great phone.

I have been unlocking all my World Blackberries and used'em in Europe with local SIM cards without any trouble. Just did that with my new 9930.
    09-01-11 07:12 PM
    Huh? Gmail syncs just fine, maps work well, sync work just fine. There is no reason to downgrade to Android if you are a Google user.

9930 is a great phone.

I have been unlocking all my World Blackberries and used'em in Europe with local SIM cards without any trouble. Just did that with my new 9930.
    When using a "local sim card" do you get both phone AND DATA? Or just phone? If both, how pricy is the combo?

The last time I was in Europe, Verizon has a very reasonable UNlimited plan which has since been eliminated. So I'm interested in alternatives IF I get over the pond again sometime.

Thanks in advance.
    09-02-11 12:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD