I'm thinking of studying abroad in Sydney for 6 months beginning next July. What I want to do is set up a skype account to call back home at a very low cost. I heard about Mobile 3's skype phone, however I don't want to pay $150 for a phone that I will only use for half a year. What I would like to do is get the new BB Tour and just use prepaid sim cards once I get outside the US and add a skype application to the BB. I think I have a good understanding of how unlocking and using a verizon global phone works, but there are still a few things I am not sure of.

Once I unlock the phone, I am able to use any carrier's sim card. Will I still need to pay verizon wireless $65 a month for the data plan (or $30/month if I dont go to the global data plan) or can I switch my number to a non-BB phone and then pop in a sim card if I don't plan on using Verizon at all? Or do you still need to have a data plan to have the option to use any network?

If anyone is familiar with skype for BB, then thats what the last part of my post is about. I heard a skype app should be out soon. It looks like it will use a combination of data and local voice. Are there any carriers which will sell sim cards (prepaid or non) that have unlimited data or BB plans and also include a small amount of local minutes? With the prepaid sim cards will I also get a local number.

Thanks for the help. If anyone has any ideas or has past experience with skype on mobiles while abroad, any info would be appreciated.
    06-26-09 08:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD