I have a Storm through Verizon. My friend bought one at full retail through Verizon to use on Att network. Well when he bought it he told them what he was going to do and they said the warranty would still be good for one year. It is acting up and he needs it replaced now. When he called they said they could not warranty it because it is not on their network. They said for him to go through Rim but it will take longer to do that as he has to prove he bought it from verizon and he doesn't have his receipt anymore. Can I call and get a replacement and send his back in its place? And don't get the thief police on me because this is not stealing as he bought it from them and they are getting a phone back. But do they actually look at the ESN when it is returned to make sure it is the right one or do they just make sure it is a storm?
    05-03-09 02:46 PM
    Yes, they actually look at the ESN. It will not work. I would tell your friend to speak to an AT&T Supervisor.
    05-03-09 03:10 PM
    Verizon has no obligation to support it. RIM is likely your friend's only option. However, I bet he could get a copy of the receipt from the store where he bought it. Or, use a copy of the credit card transaction.
    05-03-09 03:53 PM
    What on earth would tell anyone that an unlocked phone, used on another carrier would be covered by Verizon? The warranty is through RIM, when you are a Verizon subscriber they provide a courtesy of warrantying the phone for you, and they in turn send it back to RIM. If he isn't paying Verizon for service, why would they spend money to provide a service to him? I'd be willing to bet that AT&T wont help out either (since the phone is branded Verizon and all), and he will have to go directly through RIM.
    05-03-09 03:58 PM
    What on earth would tell anyone that an unlocked phone, used on another carrier would be covered by Verizon?
    The Verizon Rep he bought it from. They told him it is covered through them for 1 year even after he told them he was unlocking it to use on Att....
    05-03-09 05:33 PM
    Yes, they actually look at the ESN. It will not work. I would tell your friend to speak to an AT&T Supervisor.
    what would the AT&T supervisor do?????
    05-03-09 05:43 PM
    I believe his only recourse is to contact RIM directly but they are difficult to reach by phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-09 05:48 PM
    I have a very distinct feeling your friend lied. #1, we would never sell an unlocked device. We want it kept on our network. #2, No way would we ever support a device on another network.
    05-03-09 05:53 PM
    If it sounds too good to be true, IT IS!
    05-03-09 06:00 PM
    Yea, if someone came in...had no existing account info and just wanted to basically buy the phone, we wouldnt even be able to sell it. We arent supposed to sell phones through the "item sale" screen and that would have been the 1 and only way to do it if you friend does not have a Verizon account.
    05-03-09 06:07 PM
    I have a very distinct feeling your friend lied. #1, we would never sell an unlocked device. We want it kept on our network. #2, No way would we ever support a device on another network.
    Well he didn't lie... You say "WE" like you control what every person at every verizon store does... It happened, believe it or not...
    05-03-09 06:36 PM
    Yea, if someone came in...had no existing account info and just wanted to basically buy the phone, we wouldnt even be able to sell it. We arent supposed to sell phones through the "item sale" screen and that would have been the 1 and only way to do it if you friend does not have a Verizon account.
    You say you "wouldn't be able to sell it", Then say there is a way to do it but you are not suppose to do it? Well that must be what that one person did. But if you say there is a way, I wouldn't suggest saying that you wouldn't be able to do it.
    05-03-09 06:40 PM
    what would the AT&T supervisor do?????
    Authorize a warranty replacement. I bought phones off ebay unlocked when I was on T-Mobile before Verizon and had no problem getting warranty exchanges even if they were not T-Mobile branded.

I realize this is a different company, but, I'm sure AT&T is just being difficult. When you're a GSM provider you need to realize people do this.
    05-03-09 08:01 PM
    verizon tracks the fru replacements by esn, send back a different esn and get charged a nice full retail fee.
    Best bet is to just call blackberry but he would need a receipt.
    Also how would AT&T get a replacement for a phone they don't carry?
    05-04-09 03:02 AM
    This thread is really quite funny. The OP knows he really can't have VZW warranty the phone so why are you all responding and arguing about this. The answer is NO your friend is SOL.
    05-04-09 09:43 AM
    authorized dealers in orlando have been selling storms at full retail. I even heard they were unlocking them for the customers. They were also uploading leaked software on them. with that being said, and if that were indeed the case, your friend was not told he had a 1 year warranty from a Verizon rep. He was probably told that by some asshat that works for wireless zone or cellular sales.

No corporate rep would even want to sell a person a full retail phone. There is absolutely nothing to gain by doing so.
    05-05-09 01:23 AM
    I could be wrong but the 1 yr warranty might be the 1 yr manufactures warranty not a verizon warr.
    05-05-09 03:11 PM
    um, you're kidding, right? since when is unlocking the SIM card become tampering?
    05-05-09 04:36 PM
    Yeah, I do not think unlocking the phone voids your warranrty. If you can show me a link that says that, I'd like to see it.
    05-05-09 04:39 PM
    I dont know, I bought a storm from a verizon store with leaked software. It has the new 5.0 on it and works perfectly!! I wouldnt use it with out it!!
    05-05-09 04:48 PM
    I dont know, I bought a storm from a verizon store with leaked software. It has the new 5.0 on it and works perfectly!! I wouldnt use it with out it!!
    what "verizon store" did you get this device from? First off, Verizon wouldn't sell a Storm with any OS that wasn't official, and 5.0 what? OS v 5.0 isn't out for the Storm yet...
    05-06-09 08:25 AM
    I don't see why Verizon wouldn't be the place to go for answers. They sell service, however, they are also a store and if I read correct, he bought the phone at full retail. Last time I check, when something goes wrong with a product you buy at a store, you go back to the store. Not sure why this is any different. If I bought a Monster cable through radioshack that wasn't working right, I'd go back to radioshack first, I wouldn't be calling monster as my first option.

Now I do agree that they would probably redirect it to rim and their warranty, but as a retailer selling products independant of service, I'm sure its worth it going to them to see what their return policy is on defective products.

No store (be it verizon or whatever) can sell a product and then look the other way after the fact...
    05-06-09 09:16 AM
    How many times does verizon has to replace your phone before they will let you get another new phone/brand/type of compariable price???
    05-08-09 03:29 PM
    ^ around 3 in a 90 day period and you'll get to mulit-fru. Some managers will let you do it after two if you've got some lines and a high tier plan. The key is the amount of time between the replacements not how many over all.
    05-08-09 10:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD