i have recently just upgraded my phone to a bb tour (thus resetting my new every two contract), however.. i would like to get the storm 2 when it comes out. is there any possible way to get that phone without paying the retail price?

thank you in advance
    09-25-09 08:13 AM
    No, there isn't.
    09-25-09 08:18 AM
    i have recently just upgraded my phone to a bb tour (thus resetting my new every two contract), however.. i would like to get the storm 2 when it comes out. is there any possible way to get that phone without paying the retail price?

thank you in advance

yes...you have to options: either take the tour back within the 30 day trial period and just wait for the S2 to come out or just open another line on your account....
    09-25-09 08:23 AM
    yes...you have to options: either take the tour back within the 30 day trial period and just wait for the S2 to come out or just open another line on your account....
    You say this like VZW has a release date for the Storm 2...
    09-25-09 08:26 AM
    haha, generally speaking.. just thought id use s2 as an example
    09-25-09 08:41 AM
    I never said it was coming soon or gave a date i just told him to wait......
    09-25-09 08:43 AM
    haha, generally speaking.. just thought id use s2 as an example
    I'm understanding I think... You want to know if there's anyway. LIke tute stated you could open another line on your acct. Don't know why then you have to pay 9.99 for 2 years on that line alone...

I never said it was coming soon or gave a date i just told him to wait......
    I'm with you now...
    09-25-09 08:56 AM
    Add a line to your account. Then put the S2 on your current line and the Tour on the second line. Then when you get home dig up an old dumb phone and do an ESN switch on the website and take the Tour off and drop the second data line. Depending on the rep you have they may do this for you, but you could get charged for the ESN change or the rep may tell you that you can't do that when in fact you can.

If you are already on the family share plan then another line will cost you only $10 a month x 24 months. so $240 and assuming the S2 launches at $199 and the full retail ends up at $499 or so like the Storm and Tour, you still save $30-60. If you are not already on a FSP in the long run it may be more expensive but more palatable to you since you pay it a little at a time instead of all at once,

Before anyone chimes in here let me assure you that I am 100% sure you can do this because I have done so more than once.
    09-27-09 02:01 AM
    You could always wait a few months for the price to come down and get a Tour from eBay or CL as well. I waited 3 months after the Tour came out and was able to snag one Brand New for 200 off CL
    09-27-09 02:06 AM
    Add a line to your account. Then put the S2 on your current line and the Tour on the second line. Then when you get home dig up an old dumb phone and do an ESN switch on the website and take the Tour off and drop the second data line. Depending on the rep you have they may do this for you, but you could get charged for the ESN change or the rep may tell you that you can't do that when in fact you can.

If you are already on the family share plan then another line will cost you only $10 a month x 24 months. so $240 and assuming the S2 launches at $199 and the full retail ends up at $499 or so like the Storm and Tour, you still save $30-60. If you are not already on a FSP in the long run it may be more expensive but more palatable to you since you pay it a little at a time instead of all at once,

Before anyone chimes in here let me assure you that I am 100% sure you can do this because I have done so more than once.
    Along these lines, I've been trying to piece together the full story from bits I've read here and there. My contract isn't up for another 9 months and I'm sick of the (almost) memory-less Pearl. My question: I'm looking at the S2 (just like everyone else) -- rather than switching the S2 to my current line and being stuck with the unused "dummy" 2nd line for 2 years, could I flip it around? Put my current phone number on the 2nd line with the S2 and make my current line/contract (expiring in 9 months) the "dummy" one?
    Golly, I hope that made sense.....
    Thank you!
    10-03-09 11:24 PM
    Along these lines, I've been trying to piece together the full story from bits I've read here and there. My contract isn't up for another 9 months and I'm sick of the (almost) memory-less Pearl. My question: I'm looking at the S2 (just like everyone else) -- rather than switching the S2 to my current line and being stuck with the unused "dummy" 2nd line for 2 years, could I flip it around? Put my current phone number on the 2nd line with the S2 and make my current line/contract (expiring in 9 months) the "dummy" one?
    Golly, I hope that made sense.....
    Thank you!
    Yes, but you will lose your number I think. What about signing a 1 year contract...slightly more for the phone up front, but $120 cheaper when you cancel the dumbphone in 12 months vs 24.
    10-04-09 12:23 AM
    Yes, but you will lose your number I think. What about signing a 1 year contract...slightly more for the phone up front, but $120 cheaper when you cancel the dumbphone in 12 months vs 24.
    A possibility, thanks.
    For that matter, why not just cancel and pay the $175 instead of the $240 (plus fees/taxes) it'd be for 24 months? (Shh....)
    10-04-09 01:00 AM
    You're forgetting taxes and fees on the 9.99 per month.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-09 09:57 AM
    A possibility, thanks.
    For that matter, why not just cancel and pay the $175 instead of the $240 (plus fees/taxes) it'd be for 24 months? (Shh....)
    I don't know for sure, but if you cancel within a certain time frame, i think they charge you for your phone/demand you give it back. I could be wrong but...
    10-04-09 11:00 AM
    Nice. Although that makes sense; otherwise they'd have a problem with people doing just that! Obviously it'd have to be outside of the 30day window.
    Re: 12 month instead of 24, I answered my own question shortly after posting it: with the 12 month, you pay more for the phone! Doh.
    Edit: For those not on the Family Share plan (myself included), the cheapest plan is $40/month...... :-\
    Last edited by Psychological; 10-04-09 at 03:54 PM.
    10-04-09 02:48 PM
    You're forgetting taxes and fees on the 9.99 per month.

Yeah I also didn't mention the sales tax on the phone . . . it's only a couple bucks more. You still save quite a bit of money.

I'm pretty sure the phone number is permanently linked to the contract so I don't think what Psychological mentioned would work.

Another thought . . . you could port in your home phone number and kill that saving about$20/month if you dont use it much and/or get good reception in your home.
    10-08-09 01:30 AM
    The sales tax on the phone is far lower than taxes plus surcharges on the monthly service.

10-08-09 11:35 PM
    The sales tax on the phone is far lower than taxes plus surcharges on the monthly service.

Even if you do the math at about $12 (which is about what the taxes and surcharges figure outt o be, between $2 and $3 per line) or so per month for the line it is still cheaper.
    10-08-09 11:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD