Ok, here's the deal. I've had phones with verizon for about 6 or 7 years now, and I've always been on a plan with my mom. Right now I'm on a family plan with my mom and sister, and my father has his own plan. I've been waiting for a while for the storm to come out, and now it's finally here, and that is what I plan on upgrading to, seeing as how I am currently available for an upgrade.

I was planning on getting the storm when it came out, and then renewing the contract for my line with my dad, because my mom's bill is always high and with the data plan, and extra things I want I don't want to rack up charges on her bill(I will, however be paying for texting, insurance, and data plan). So I just checked vzw website just to double check and make sure I am available for upgrade(which I am) but the contract isn't up until february. Here is my main question, If I go in friday, or any day soon to upgrade to a storm with the new 2 year agreement discounted price, am I going to have to renew the contract with my mom's plan, or will they let me switch over to my dad's?

Anytime any of my family members try and do something with verizon they always **** you around and tell you can't do this, can't to that. However, I did manage to get them to give my dad $100 towards a new phone one time simply because I won't take no for an answer when I know I'm in the right. Now I can already see this switch thing being a problem with them and I plan on going in to a store some time this week to talk to somebody. In the meantime, anybody have any idea if this will work, or am I going to have to wait until february if I want to switch my line over to my dad's plan?
    11-16-08 09:59 PM
    i have two possible scenarios for you...

1) they won't allow you to renew onto your dad's account from your mom's because, by definition, that's not really "renewing".

2) if you speak to someone (i.e.: a manager) who isn't a complete ****, I'm sure they'll work something out with you...and threatening to go across the street to get an iphone with AT&T never hurts, heh. (they won't often call your bluff on that one.) seriously though, if you go to one store and they blow you off, just go to another - rules or no rules, these people work on commission and sooner or later someone will hook you up. I also believe that it's only fair to hook them up and if they offer you insurance or a bigger text plan or some other BS like that (assuming you don't want that stuff to begin with), you should take it to help out that particular guy/girl's sales numbers and then just cancel it 1-2 months later. *trust me - this method takes some persistance and patience and a whole lot of cheerfulness, but it works. I've gotten my NE2 date moved up, free replacement batteries, etc.

try to cut these people some slack though - this weekend's gonna be rough for verizon employees being bombarded with complete a$$h*les trying to wiggle their way into getting the storm when they're not entitled just yet. the storm is the only viable iphone alternative in our consumer-based society and every self-important over-entitled ***** in this country is gonna try to scumbag their way into landing one.

good luck!
    11-17-08 01:29 PM
    I am a Verizon rep. I will ignore the comments about how you think we mess everything up and tell you what you need to do...

All you have to do is to ask for an assumption of liability. Well, your Dad actually needs to be the one to ask for it. Your Mom will need to give the ok for your Dad to assume laibility for your line. Your Dad will have to submit to a credit check for the new line, but that's usually just a formality if he's already got a VZW account. The accounts will have to be current. If the credit check is ok and the account is in good standing then the rep will be able to move the line from your Mom's account to your Dad's account. You portion will be pro-rated and advance billed once it is on your Dad's account because it is a new account for that line. Your Mom's account should get a credit back for the advanced month and anything for the unused portion of the month.

As far as the upgade itself, it doesn't matter if you do it before or after the AOL. I would recommend doing it on the same day though for billing reasons.

Hope that helps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-08 02:02 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I stopped by the store today after work and talked to a rep, and she said that I'll be able to do that no problem. Now I just need to get to the store nice and early friday to make sure I get a storm!

And don't take that crack on the people at verizon personally, it's just what we've dealt with a lot in the past with the store we use.
    11-17-08 04:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD