I already posted this question in another (incorrect) folder, but I'm posting it again here for further feedback and to help anyone else that may have the same question.

I am on the $59.99 per month plan with 5 GB of data. Well, when I got my first bill, my data usage was $190 OVER, so my actual bill just for the PC Card was more like $250!!! I thought that the PC card offered unlimited internet access, and the data usage was based on the size of the files I download that month. Now I'm confused...how is data usage actually calculated, and how can I keep my bill low each month?

(I did keep my PC Card connected 24 hours per day, but I was told that the internet access itself was unlimited and the 5 GB limit was for downloads only).
    10-31-08 12:14 PM
    I was told that the internet access itself was unlimited and the 5 GB limit was for downloads only).
    The data usage adds up anytime you are connected to the internet. If you have not paid your first bill yet you can visit the store in which you activated the device and tell the manager (calmly) that you were completely misinformed about the 5gb limit. Because you are new and have another line of service, it is possible they will grant you an overage credit that will apply on your NEXT bill. VZW has been bending, and giving these more often (though only in the first month) since they moved from true unlimited data on pc cards to the 5gb limit because of miscommunication.
    10-31-08 12:36 PM
    Also, check to make sure you weren't prorated for a partial month. Usually on first months, they sometimes double up on your bill. However, if it was overages, you must have gone seriously over you 5GB limit. How did you use your air card? Do you remember download a bunch of stuff? You honestly cannot expect to use an air card to replace your home Internet service if you're a big bandwidth hog. You will get killed on overage charges. BTW, you can check your usage online under your account for that line. Just log into VZW's online account page and it'll be there under usage for the respective line. It's an easy way to keep an eye on things.
    10-31-08 04:16 PM
    ALso the newer version of VZAm have the option to monitor data right from the software kinda like dialing #data
    10-31-08 08:53 PM
    If you leave your computer on with windows updates you will most certainly go over. If you use your air card as your primary internet you absolutely must turn off ALL auto updating software.
    These cards are NOT good for primary internet but fantastic for use on site for snagging a document for work or uploading one back to the main office. Otherwise I would highly reccomend you call customer service and tell them you were misinformed about the contract and see if maybe they'll let you out of it. Doubtful but worth a shot.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-08 03:27 PM
    do they offer some sort of unlimited usage for a price?
    11-01-08 08:17 PM
    do they offer some sort of unlimited usage for a price?
    THere is no unlim for data cards anymore. There is a 10GB plan, but quite a bit more expensive.
    11-01-08 08:56 PM
    THere is no unlim for data cards anymore. There is a 10GB plan, but quite a bit more expensive.
    Oh great. So when I lose my Alltel unlimited internet, I'll have caps with verizon. sheesh. This just keeps getting worse for me lol.
    11-02-08 08:36 PM
    Not sure how that will set up no details yet. I have seem where mergers have to honor prior agreements till tat contract is up and some that do not. Will have to wait till all the details become available.
    11-02-08 09:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD