Hey all you people knowledgeable about Verizon...

To make a long story short, I am switching to another carrier from Verizon and canceling my contact early. Reasons for switching are not because I have been unhappy with the service, I have been with Verizon for many many years and have had nothing but good times, my company is no longer covering my cell phone bill and it is cheaper for me to switch services, pay the cancellation fee, and jump on my parents family plan where I only have to pay $30/month for a data plan. This kicker is that I need to take my number with me to the new carrier, so....

My question is that how long does it take for the number to be released from Verizon so it can be used with another carrier?
    09-23-09 11:08 AM
    Do your parents have VZW? It sounds like they do, if not, keep the number active, and you are going to need the account information that you have rght now, and it should go through right away.
    09-23-09 11:12 AM
    Do your parents have VZW? It sounds like they do, if not, keep the number active, and you are going to need the account information that you have rght now, and it should go through right away.
    I will be switching to AT&T, on my parents family plan that has my mom, dad, and sister on it. On a separate note the only other people I call are on AT&T as well...

So your saying if I cancel the line today, then walk into a AT&T store, I will be able to use that number immediately?
    09-23-09 11:17 AM
    i would go to the att store and have them start the port process. that will cancel your line and ensure that you keep your number.
    09-23-09 11:19 AM
    No, I think you need to activate your account with ATT and tell them of you want to import your number from Verizon. When they do that it will automatically cancel you account with Verizon and you will be hit with the fees.
    09-23-09 11:21 AM
    Do the port first it automatically cancels your contract then. Don't do it first or you won't keep your number.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-09 11:21 AM
    I will be switching to AT&T, on my parents family plan that has my mom, dad, and sister on it. On a separate note the only other people I call are on AT&T as well...

So your saying if I cancel the line today, then walk into a AT&T store, I will be able to use that number immediately?
    Yes, granted that the other info is verified on the account. Best to just take a bill with you, so the transition is seamless.
    09-23-09 12:55 PM

DO NOT cancel before porting!!! Go to ATT first to start the porting process.

i just wanted to reiterate what the other posters have said, because they're right.

Port first, do not cancel!
    09-23-09 03:25 PM
    DO NOT cancel before porting!!! Go to ATT first to start the porting process.

i just wanted to reiterate what the other posters have said, because they're right.

Port first, do not cancel!
    Got ya, the account itself will not be canceled because there are other lines on it, just my line will get moved.

So I will go to the AT&T and ask for the line to be ported over onto my parents family plan everything will be good.
    09-23-09 04:54 PM
    Got ya, the account itself will not be canceled because there are other lines on it, just my line will get moved.
    That makes it seem there are other lines tied to your current Verizon account. Is your number the master account? If that's the case, porting your number will probably also cancel the other lines. I'd call both Verizon and AT&T to be absolutely sure before you port your number. I could be mistaken...sorry if I am.
    09-23-09 09:37 PM
    Each line on an account is a separate contract so if the primary line is cancelled one of the remaining will need to be made the primary line. The remaining people on the account will need to call and set one to the primary line.

09-23-09 11:06 PM
    Also if the vxw account is not in your name your may have trouble porting that number unless the name on that account gives them permission

09-23-09 11:19 PM
    i would go to the att store and have them start the port process. that will cancel your line and ensure that you keep your number.
    Porting your number elsewhere cancels your current line?
    09-24-09 07:49 AM
    Porting your number elsewhere cancels your current line?
    Good catch. NO IT DOES NOT! you will still have to call your carrier to cancel. I just remembered that when i ported from AT&T to Alltel, i started the process in the alltel store and cancelled Att when my billing cycle ended. sorry for misinforming.
    09-24-09 07:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD