I only slightly understand the whole merger thing. I'm watching my XM try to do it with Sirius, but there's something I don't understand about the VZW/Alltel one.

I read that:
    It comes at a price though, as Verizon will be required to divest their wireless holdings in 100 markets that span 22 states. According to Thomas Barnett, assistant attorney general in charge of the antitrust division, the divestitures required are among the most extensive required by the department in a wireless case and include the entire states of North Dakota and South Dakota, major portions of Colorado, Georgia, Kansas, Montana, South Carolina, Utah and Wyoming, and sections of Alabama, Arizona, California, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio and Virginia.
    What exactly does divesting wireless holdings mean? I have VZW in Georgia and don't want to loose my service or have to go back to Alltel. Heck, I just got over to VZW from Alltel in Feb this year. Can anyone explain what exactly is going on here?
    10-31-08 08:33 PM
    It means that VZW will give up areas that will still be covered after the merger. If you have service now, you will have service after the merger.
    10-31-08 08:37 PM
    To prevent a monopolization (cool word) they are requiring vzw to sell off overlapping areas in 100 markets.
    10-31-08 08:43 PM
    ^^^ On paper I think.
    10-31-08 08:44 PM
    I guess that makes since.... I just hope my service remains as good as it has been. Alltel had some bad spotty areas between the town I live in and the town I work in. Since I've had VZW, not one single issue. I guess I can only hope for the best!
    10-31-08 08:51 PM
    So are you people saying that Verizon will go away in these areas, as in pull out and they'll just have Alltel, or will Alltel simply change names to Verizon in these areas and service will stay the same? Clarify it for everyone.

My understanding based on the definition of divest is that the locations will be sold to a sub company of Verizon on paper to make it look like they no longer have a footprint in the area, while in actuality they still do.
    10-31-08 08:59 PM
    I highly doubt Verizon would buy up areas that they wouldn't be able to send service to, what would be the point?
    10-31-08 09:02 PM
    So are you people saying that Verizon will go away in these areas, as in pull out and they'll just have Alltel, or will Alltel simply change names to Verizon in these areas and service will stay the same? Clarify it for everyone.

My understanding based on the definition of divest is that the locations will be sold to a sub company of Verizon on paper to make it look like they no longer have a footprint in the area, while in actuality they still do.
    This maybe the case or they will sell locations that will still be covered by the assests picked up from Alltel.
    10-31-08 09:34 PM
    I guess that makes since.... I just hope my service remains as good as it has been. Alltel had some bad spotty areas between the town I live in and the town I work in. Since I've had VZW, not one single issue. I guess I can only hope for the best!

I noticed that you have the 8830 and I was wondering do you like it a lot. I have the curve 8330 and I was thinking of getting that one instead?

Thanks!
    10-31-08 09:48 PM
    I noticed that you have the 8830 and I was wondering do you like it a lot. I have the curve 8330 and I was thinking of getting that one instead?

Thanks!
    It serves its purpose. I like the Curve better. The 8830 was my first one. I had an 8703 after that and changed back because I liked the trackball and had owned one before.
    10-31-08 09:55 PM
    The ONLY areas sold will be in overlapping coverage markets.

VZW service will only get better!
    10-31-08 10:29 PM
    The ONLY areas sold will be in overlapping coverage markets.

VZW service will only get better!
    That's what I was hoping to hear! Thanks DJ!
    10-31-08 10:44 PM
    Just got home from my morning errands and noticed that a small independant dealer for Cricket and Alltel, change his signs to Cricket only. Also read that Dept of Justice approved the deal with diversement of thos 100 markets. The article also stated that the FCC is going to meet this week for final review.

Bye Chad?
    11-02-08 10:55 AM
    Chad and the "Can you hear me now" guy should do commercials together with "the network", lmao that would be sweet

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-08 12:52 PM
    I was thinking of the wizard making Chad disappear and saying oops my bad
    11-02-08 01:10 PM

This happened in VT as part of the Unicell buyout by VZW. What actually happens is VZW subs stay with VZW, Alltel subs would be sold off to another company (ATT most likely I think but since ALLTEL is CDMA it could be Sprint). This would ONLY happen in cases where VZW and ALLTEL both sold to users in the same area. If VZW had no presence already in a given area, those ALLTEL users would become VZW. If both ALLTEL and VZW sold in a given area then the ALLTEL users would be sold off to another company. It is NOT a paper transaction, the ALLTEL users in those areas both VZW and ALLTEL sold in would go to a new company (in most cases). Hope this is clear! This usually includes infrastructure (ie towers) that may be owned by ALLTEL, if they own them. In VT, Unicell users in Rutland, Burlington, Brattoboro and a couple of other towns will go to a new company (ATT) VZW users stay with VZW. Unicell users in the burbs go to VZW.
    Last edited by pete1118; 11-02-08 at 08:16 PM.
    11-02-08 08:07 PM
    lol @ talking so much about Chad. He and Jared can work on a side project together. OOhhhh to be the can you hear me now guy. He must get paid great!
    11-02-08 08:14 PM
    When the merger is 100% final they will more than likely stick with the VZW name (unlike Cingular adopting the ATT name when they merged).

As for the selling of divestitures what that means is VZW will have to sell something, most likely towers. This will probably happen in areas where the cell competition was Alltel and VZW primarily (or only), and so VZW will sell some towers to give other carriers a chance to enter that market. I wouldn't think it would effect service in that its probably happening in areas that had oversaturation of towers (too many Alltel and VZW combined).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-08 10:38 AM
    This happened in VT as part of the Unicell buyout by VZW. What actually happens is VZW subs stay with VZW, Alltel subs would be sold off to another company (ATT most likely I think but since ALLTEL is CDMA it could be Sprint). This would ONLY happen in cases where VZW and ALLTEL both sold to users in the same area. If VZW had no presence already in a given area, those ALLTEL users would become VZW. If both ALLTEL and VZW sold in a given area then the ALLTEL users would be sold off to another company. It is NOT a paper transaction, the ALLTEL users in those areas both VZW and ALLTEL sold in would go to a new company (in most cases). Hope this is clear! This usually includes infrastructure (ie towers) that may be owned by ALLTEL, if they own them. In VT, Unicell users in Rutland, Burlington, Brattoboro and a couple of other towns will go to a new company (ATT) VZW users stay with VZW. Unicell users in the burbs go to VZW.
    you are correct. for those who dont understand: if your alltel in area without verizon you will more than likely be verizon, if youre in a market that gets divested you go to the highest bidder.
    Last edited by rockstar323; 11-03-08 at 03:00 PM.
    11-03-08 02:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD