As you all know all of us Alltel subscribers will soon be Verizon subscribers. With that being said i wanted to know how does verizon handle roaming? I remember when i was with Cingular and i even believe with Sprint i never had a roaming indicator show up on my phone with a national coverage plan and thought it was kind of strange with Alltel but, and here is the question, does verizon handsets show a roaming indicator when your not in your home area? Thanks in advance.
    01-14-09 01:29 PM
    Yes, it looks like a triangle. It's rare though that you'd be roaming anywhere in the US with Verizon these days...
    01-14-09 01:46 PM
    I'm an Alltel sub and wondered the same thing. I was previously with Sprint and they never showed the roaming indicator like Alltel does in the nationwide freedom plans. It was always kind of annoying to leave the home area with Alltel and the roaming indicator would pop on. I travel a lot for work, and see it all the time.

So Verizon shows the indicator just as Alltel? That's a bummer.
    01-14-09 01:52 PM
    I'm an Alltel sub and wondered the same thing. I was previously with Sprint and they never showed the roaming indicator like Alltel does in the nationwide freedom plans. It was always kind of annoying to leave the home area with Alltel and the roaming indicator would pop on. I travel a lot for work, and see it all the time.

So Verizon shows the indicator just as Alltel? That's a bummer.
    yeah, it is a bummer considering they say when your phone roams it drains your battery faster.
    01-14-09 04:04 PM
    Not true on digital CDMA as long as your signal strength remains good. You may be thinking about the old dual/tri-mode phones where roaming could mean an analog signal. Battery life should be fine.

On VZW you will get into "Extended Network" when roaming. Most current plans guarantee no roaming charges, so you should be fine.

The only times I've ever had an issue was right next to an international border, inadvertently snagging a Canadian or Mexican signal at call initiation - the few times this happened, VZW removed the charges without issue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-09 05:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD