Hey you guys, hopefully somebody can help me out and give me a solid answer. I'm traveling to Japan in about nine days (I'll be in Tokyo for ten days), and this'll be the first time I take this phone over there. I've heard of the 9630 working flawlessly in Japan, after calling up Verizon and activating the SIM card in the phone and placing the global plan on the phone. Is this all I have to do? How does the global plan work? The reps I asked, did not give me a solid answer. In fact, I got three different answers. If somebody can break it down for me, I'd greatly appreciate it!

I'm going for less than 21 days, and I know VZW has the Occasional Traveler's Plan. I'd really like this broken down as well, so I have no problems when I leave in a few short days.

Thanks guys!
    12-29-09 12:08 AM
    Here's what I posted elsewhere:

"I used my 8830 in Europe and mostly in Italy this past summer. I opted for the GLOBAL PLAN. It replaces your standard BIS plan on a pro rata basis. You pay approx $69 and stop paying $30 for the month. Divide both as appropriate for your time there. The data is UNLIMITED. Calls in/out are $0.99/minute including to/from US.

I believe I saved apprx $300 for 3 weeks.

If you want local sim cards, data is more problematic and you must call verizon and get the sim slot UNlocked. "

Those call costs were in Europe. Japan might have different rates per minute.

Have a great trip.
    12-29-09 12:15 AM
    Hey you guys, hopefully somebody can help me out and give me a solid answer. I'm traveling to Japan in about nine days (I'll be in Tokyo for ten days), and this'll be the first time I take this phone over there. I've heard of the 9630 working flawlessly in Japan, after calling up Verizon and activating the SIM card in the phone and placing the global plan on the phone. Is this all I have to do? How does the global plan work? The reps I asked, did not give me a solid answer. In fact, I got three different answers. If somebody can break it down for me, I'd greatly appreciate it!

I'm going for less than 21 days, and I know VZW has the Occasional Traveler's Plan. I'd really like this broken down as well, so I have no problems when I leave in a few short days.

Thanks guys!

So the Global plan for 64.99 will cover unlimited data e-mail and BBM.
    You will pay 1.99 a minute for calls
    Text is .05 to rcv .50 to send

You dont need the Global Travel program if you have a Global phone, the rates are the same. Hope that helps.
    12-29-09 12:19 AM
    When you get to Japan, you will likely have to manually configure your GSM settings. Just select GSM/UMTS once you get there and select SoftBank as the network. DoCoMo works too but when I was there for three weeks, SoftBank seemed to be a bit more robust, but I was in Hokkaido most of the time, so YMMV. If you leave your network setting at Global, you will pick up CDMA signals there, but they're 1X only and spotty, not all data worked. The GSM/UMTS in Japan is virtually everywhere. It's pretty awesome.

Have fun. I love Japan.

edit to add: one set up, everything worked, email, BBM, Yahoo IM, browsing, phone. Good stuff.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Gawain; 12-29-09 at 02:05 AM.
    12-29-09 02:02 AM
    Just a clarification question:
    When you're signed on for the global data plan (or data+voice for $69.99), you DON'T pay the monthly portion of your data plan for the US?

Right now I have just voice service with VZW, with a global phone for when I'm traveling for work. When I go to Europe, I just add the $4.99 voice option to get the reduced per minute rate.

I'm looking to upgrade to a BB plan, but I'm going to be moving to Germany in about 5 months, so I'm trying to decide if it's worth keeping just the voice plan. A sales rep at a VZW store told me I'd be paying the regular US voice and data price plus the global rate. I wouldn't go for that, but if they drop part of the US rate then it might be worthwhile.

Thanks!
    12-29-09 09:07 PM
    Just a clarification question:
    When you're signed on for the global data plan (or data+voice for $69.99), you DON'T pay the monthly portion of your data plan for the US?

Right now I have just voice service with VZW, with a global phone for when I'm traveling for work. When I go to Europe, I just add the $4.99 voice option to get the reduced per minute rate.

I'm looking to upgrade to a BB plan, but I'm going to be moving to Germany in about 5 months, so I'm trying to decide if it's worth keeping just the voice plan. A sales rep at a VZW store told me I'd be paying the regular US voice and data price plus the global rate. I wouldn't go for that, but if they drop part of the US rate then it might be worthwhile.

Thanks!
    The 69.99 data plan includes the Voice Value plan, and you do have to have a plan active, but it can be suspended for up to 3 months two times for 15.00 each time.
    12-29-09 09:47 PM
    The 69.99 data plan includes the Voice Value plan, and you do have to have a plan active, but it can be suspended for up to 3 months two times for 15.00 each time.
    Thanks! That's great to know and will help in my planning.
    12-30-09 06:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD