I bought my curve 8330 in November of 2008. i signed up for a 2yr contract. when i look at my account it says i can update in july. what does that mean as far as pricing? i thought that Verizon got rid of helping customers out when it comes to a new phone. this is what it says below my upgrade bar."Eligible for New Every Two discount on 7/28/10. Eligible to upgrade with discounted pricing on 7/28/10. If you prefer, you can upgrade today at full retail price. Your contract end date is 11/28/10 "

please help me make sense. i want a new phone. thanks
    06-19-10 08:53 PM
    Your New Every 2 gets you discounted pricing after 20 months (7/28/10). Your 2-year contract ends on 11/28/10. If you order before 7/28, you'll be paying full retail price for a new Blackberry. If you need exact pricing, go to their website.
    06-19-10 08:57 PM
    This means that on 7/28/10 you will be able to walk into a Verizon Wireless store and pick out a new device at a discounted rate. The rate will depend how long you sign back into contract for (1 or 2 years) and you will on top of that also get your new every 2 credit, which I believe is an additional $50 off the price of the device. This will then lock you back into contract for 1 or 2 years from the day you go to the store.
    06-19-10 08:57 PM
    thanks for asking this question and for the people who answered. i actually bought my phone in nov of 2008 and wondered the same thing. i asked a vzw online and they had no idea how to answer my question...go figure.
    06-20-10 12:46 AM
    Ugh waiting that month (until the 28th) is gonna kill me! I am craving a new phone. One more thing since I signed my contact before the made the changes to the NE2, I don't get the NE2 discount that I was told I got when I signed up? Thought maybe there was. Thanks for all the advice and if you have any more please post it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-10 10:11 AM
    Ugh waiting that month (until the 28th) is gonna kill me! I am craving a new phone. One more thing since I signed my contact before the made the changes to the NE2, I don't get the NE2 discount that I was told I got when I signed up? Thought maybe there was. Thanks for all the advice and if you have any more please post it!

i thought you still get the NE2 like 100 dollars off because it was before they changed it?
    06-20-10 02:28 PM
    i thought you still get the NE2 like 100 dollars off because it was before they changed it?
    They may, I am not 100% sure, so I figured always error on the side of caution and go with current rates, so that way if the OP gets the 100, its a present
    06-20-10 02:30 PM
    I bought my curve 8330 in November of 2008. i signed up for a 2yr contract. when i look at my account it says i can update in july. what does that mean as far as pricing? i thought that Verizon got rid of helping customers out when it comes to a new phone. this is what it says below my upgrade bar."Eligible for New Every Two discount on 7/28/10. Eligible to upgrade with discounted pricing on 7/28/10. If you prefer, you can upgrade today at full retail price. Your contract end date is 11/28/10 "

please help me make sense. i want a new phone. thanks

Help customers get a new phone? Why should Verizon "help people get a new phone?" Why do people feel that are entitled to discounts? You are getting a 500 dollar phone for 100-200, that is a discount already.
    06-20-10 03:56 PM
    Geez. What's your problem. There the ones that offer to help out, so I am only taking them up on that. The didn't save me any money with their changes in Feb, so I should get my 100's off and if they want to stay with their company.

06-20-10 04:08 PM
    Help customers get a new phone? Why should Verizon "help people get a new phone?" Why do people feel that are entitled to discounts? You are getting a 500 dollar phone for 100-200, that is a discount already.
    That attitude is rather uncalled for. The OP was asking a question, and rightfully, they are entitled to that $100 because that was their terms of service at the time. It has since changed, and since the OP has yet to use it, they are still able to redeem it, and then they roll into the new program of the discounts.
    06-20-10 04:11 PM
    That attitude is rather uncalled for. The OP was asking a question, and rightfully, they are entitled to that $100 because that was their terms of service at the time. It has since changed, and since the OP has yet to use it, they are still able to redeem it, and then they roll into the new program of the discounts.
    Why are they "entitled" to it? The phone is discounted like 300 bucks with a 2yr contract. Are they entitled to it because they pay their bill every month? Or because they dont cancel service? Its a perk, not something that is required by Verizon to offer. Its basically free money, if it was an extra 20 dollars off customers should be happy because its a free 20 dollars. My attitude may be "uncalled for" according to you, but your attitude is unrealistic and ridiculous.
    06-21-10 10:30 AM
    Why are they "entitled" to it? The phone is discounted like 300 bucks with a 2yr contract. Are they entitled to it because they pay their bill every month? Or because they dont cancel service? Its a perk, not something that is required by Verizon to offer. Its basically free money, if it was an extra 20 dollars off customers should be happy because its a free 20 dollars. My attitude may be "uncalled for" according to you, but your attitude is unrealistic and ridiculous.
    Mobile phone companies provide the basic service of transferring information, whether that be in the form of phone calls, text messaging or internet data plans. However, the method in which they charge for these services is not so basic. By coupling various services into packages and failing to disclose specific details, these companies make it difficult to understand exactly what you are paying for, and exactly how much you are paying for it. With messaging and phone calls, both the sender and the recipient are being billed, doubling the charge on the transfer of the same data. When we took a look into exactly how much data is being transferred, and how much it is costing the customer, we found that each service is each being charged at relatively high and largely different rates.

source: Dissecting The Mobile Phone Plan Markup markup/

With that said, "consumer beware" when any retailer intentionally makes it hard to pin down billing and cost mark up, its consumer vs. said companies. When you enter into an agreement, you have the oppurtinity to read the agreement contract and you may actually understand it if you have recently passed the bar exam. The question is since they jack up the cost of said equipment to turn around and "discount" said equipment to make the consumer think they are getting a bargain. This is bullsh*t and everyone knows it. Therfore take advantage of any oppurtinity you can to get what you need from your retailer, provider, etc. short of commiting a crime.
    06-21-10 02:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD