I signed up on a plan with my family a few months ago and got a storm. Since I am not the primary person on the account does that mean I have to wait like 2 years to get a new phone without paying like $600 (full price) ?
    05-05-09 04:01 PM
    Doesn't matter if u are or aren't the primary person. You'll have to pay full ret
    ail unless your eligible for a upgrade. I'm with you I'm disappointed with the storm so I need a new sort phone I was thinking one of the htc ones but there 500 out of contract.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-09 04:06 PM
    Yea i want to know how long I have to wait, this storm is so bad compared to other smart phones (iphone, pre) and with the new phones coming out later (omnia HD, storm 2 etc.) storm will suck even more.
    05-05-09 04:40 PM
    Yea i want to know how long I have to wait, this storm is so bad compared to other smart phones (iphone, pre) and with the new phones coming out later (omnia HD, storm 2 etc.) storm will suck even more.
    Curious as to how you know the storm is "so bad" compared to other smart phones, and you list the Pre, which has yet to come out.

The Storm certainly isn't for everyone, but there are also PLENTY on this forum who love their Storm. I had an 8830 and now have a Storm and am very happy with mine.

You have a bunch of options for getting a new phone:

1: If you really think the iPhone or Pre is so much better, why don't you just go to AT&T or Sprint (when the Pre debuts), get it, and pay the ETF? Would it be worth it to you to get a refurbished iPhone (for $100 savings), and pay $150 in ETF?

2: Go into Verizon and pay full retail for a new phone, if you'd prefer to have another phone but want to keep Verizon service.

3: Wait until you've had the Storm for a year and upgrade to a new phone for the promotional price, if you re-up your 2-year agreement.

4: Wait until you've had the Storm for 20 months, pay your bills on-time, and get a new phone and save $100 over the promotional price with the NE2 program.

5: You can go into the store and talk to a manager, or call customer service and talk to a manager. Sometimes if you have a legitimate concern as to why the phone isn't working (like I had a Palm Treo 650wx that was so slow, it would start ringing, and by the time the screen was able to show a call was coming in, it had already gone to voicemail), they may be willing to consider a switch to another model. I was able to get an 8830 after having the Palm for 6 months by being nice and asking the right questions.

I wish you luck, but at the end of the day, you can always get a new phone. It just depends on what you're willing to do and how you go about it.
    05-05-09 04:54 PM
    I signed up on a plan with my family a few months ago and got a storm. Since I am not the primary person on the account does that mean I have to wait like 2 years to get a new phone without paying like $600 (full price) ?
    Well what exactly are you trying to do?

A couple things to note ... when you get on a Family Share plan, only the primary account holder is able to get NE2. All other phones are not subject to the $100 upgrade discount in NE2 (which really should be NE20 for 20 months). Now I'm the primary account holder for my family plan, and I haven't tried to upgrade one of the secondary phones yet, so I'm not sure if those phones are elligible for the Annual Upgrade or not. VZW Rep?

I will tell you this. Why don't you try to find out if anyone else in your Family Share is almost done (or exceeded) their 2-year committment. Then they can trade their phone in and get a new one, and maybe you can convince that family member to take your Storm in exchange for whatever they get. On the family plan, the 2-year committment is linked phone-to-phone, not the overall contract.

A final suggestion. You can always try to buy an old VZW phone on ebay/craigslist and upgrade that way. Then you activate the "new to you" phone, and sell your Storm on ebay/craigslist.

Good luck!
    05-05-09 04:59 PM
    On a family share plan, all lines are eligible for an upgrade every 2 years...or within 4 months of the end of your contract. You may have to pay an early upgrade fee. The primary line on a family share plan can upgrade every year. It does not show usually online, but a year from your sign up date, you can upgrade with discounted prices. You also receive a small credit as well (50 or 100 dollars). The reason why is because the primary line is the one paying the "money." The secondary and other lines are only 10 dollars in addition every month.
    05-05-09 07:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD