Everyone,

I had a very interesting trip today. We go to the Verizon store and my wife's contract is up on April 11th, so we asked if we could do the BOGO and he said that because she isn't due he has to request it via email to someone or another. But he says that if we buy 6-7 accessories it will only help this situation.

So we add 7 accessories, we're talking almost $150 here, and he comes back after a bit and says they won't go BOGO. What they will do is have me buy mine at the $299, and I will receive a $100 GC rebate, and then I would need to pay $179 for my wifes, and I would get a $100 GC rebate, equaling $79 for hers. I kinda stood ther for a second and was like $150 for the accessories plus the $79 for hers for moving her date like 6 weeks, No Thanks.

We then went to Sams club to get some food, etc... and they have a Cell Desk there and they are now selling the Droid for $129, no rebates, no nothing, $129 out the door. We just have to wait until the April date. So I think we will go that route, when our date gets here, because I was assuming I would pay $199 for the phone, not $299, and then get a $100 GC. Rebates are not my thing. If I do renew at that time via the Cell Desk in Sams Club, do I have to pay attention to anything? It's crazy that they have it for $129 out the door, where Verizon it's $299 with a $100 rebate gift card. What do I need to know?

Who knows, maybe something better will be out by then.

Thanks!
    02-21-10 04:37 PM
    It sounds like the salesman at the store was trying to milk you for all the money he could. Yet another reason I don't step foot inside a store. Now if it would have worked, I would have walked back in after activating the new phones and returned all those accessories. I have had better luck getting 611 to move my upgrade dates up.

As for Sams club, sometimes you have to read the fine print of the contract. At times they will have in fine print to charge you like $300.00 if you change anything on your plan for the 1st 6 months be it raise or lower your minutes or change phones because you broke one. I always get my phones from 611, don't have to deal with waiting at a VZW store for an hour and I get all the rebates instant. Plus I don't have to worry about all those stupid fees because I changed my plan just to save a few bucks at a place like Sams or Walmart.
    02-21-10 07:25 PM
    Something better WILL be out by then.
    02-21-10 07:33 PM
    Here is a question I have:

I have three lines, and one is due for upgrade on April 11th. (Odd I know, but it's the same date as the OP) The line that is due for upgrade is my mom's line, and she doesn't want/need a new phone, so I read on VZW's website that I can transfer the upgrade to another line. If I do that, will it reset the date of upgrade on my line too, or just hers? Or would it be easier to just upgrade it on her line, and then reactivate her old phone and move the new one to my line?
    02-21-10 07:54 PM
    Here is a question I have:

I have three lines, and one is due for upgrade on April 11th. (Odd I know, but it's the same date as the OP) The line that is due for upgrade is my mom's line, and she doesn't want/need a new phone, so I read on VZW's website that I can transfer the upgrade to another line. If I do that, will it reset the date of upgrade on my line too, or just hers? Or would it be easier to just upgrade it on her line, and then reactivate her old phone and move the new one to my line?
    You can use the upgrade. If they do it right it can ordered on her line and activated on yours. SHould not reset your upgrade date
    02-21-10 08:21 PM
    Well I will try 611 tomorrow then.

Another question if you don't mind. When I try this, and since I will be renewing, can I change it to be a 1 year contract at that time? I don't mind paying a little more to change it to a 1 year. I am thinking this would allow me to update my phone to the latest and greatest more often

Or can I only renew for the 2 year contract like I have now?
    02-21-10 08:31 PM
    As far as that goes, I don't think you can do a 1 year contract and still get discounts for upgrades. I know they do the New Every 2, which is how I'll be upgrading in April, but it requires signing a 2 year contract.
    02-21-10 08:41 PM
    Well I will try 611 tomorrow then.

Another question if you don't mind. When I try this, and since I will be renewing, can I change it to be a 1 year contract at that time? I don't mind paying a little more to change it to a 1 year. I am thinking this would allow me to update my phone to the latest and greatest more often

Or can I only renew for the 2 year contract like I have now?
    Yes, you can do a 1 year, but the cost of the device can be quite a bit more.
    02-21-10 08:52 PM
    I also have another question:

If I upgrade from the Crackberry store (where it is WAY cheaper) are there any weird limitations, and will they be able to do as you described for me above, Lastraid?
    02-21-10 09:16 PM
    Well, nevermind that last question of mine, I just found a Storm 2 on walmart.com for free with 2 year upgrade!! Are there any hitches with ordering from walmart that I need to know?
    02-22-10 12:33 PM
    I would defiantely call customer service see if they could work anything out for you, the worst that they could say is no.
    02-22-10 12:52 PM
    No, but make sure you look at all the fine print. Sometimes if you work through a 3rd party to upgrade, they have their own cancellation fees and return fees. It is also harder to get replacements from Verizon Corp. Stores. Actually, you can't. You will be told to take it to Wal-Mart to get a replacement. I have always found it better to just order directly from Wal-mart.
    02-22-10 02:07 PM
    Thanks Mark! As far as cancellations go, no issues there. I love big red. I also don't deal with corporate stores since the closest one is over 30 miles away. Hopefully wal-mart will keep them at this price!
    02-22-10 03:26 PM
    Well I called CS and was told they could put in for a recommendation for early upgrade on my wifes line, and that I would buy the 2 phones and then the manager would make a determination on the early upgrade. I asked if they could decide before I spend $400, and she said that they make the determination once it has been ordered. Again, I am leery on making a determination after the fact - even though she said she has never seen one declined.

What she did say was that the offer is good for 30 days after purchasing the first - to get the second. So if I purchase my phone, on say March 12th or 13th, then I can call on the 11th, when hers is up for renewal and get the free one shipped. I then called back again to verify with a totally different person to make sure that was true, and that person said yes. So looks like I will wait a couple of weeks for mine, then order my wifes a few weeks after that.
    02-22-10 04:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD