I have asked this question in another post on here but got no response so here it is again. Why when using a CDMA device i get a roaming indicator when i travel outside my city? I have had a Cingular phone (not blackberry) and the phone never showed a roaming indicator no matter what state i traveled to. Again i am assuming that this is a CDMA issue seeing that a friend of mine has a t-mobile blackberry and his phone never shows the roaming indicator either. I have nationwide coverage so i figure if the phone gets service the roaming indicator should be a non issue. Does anyone know what the deal is with this?
    06-04-09 03:30 PM
    It means your roaming on another carriers system that Verizon has a roaming agreement with. I suggest you update your PRL when you are in your home area using *228 option 1. Do not do this anywhere but in your home area.
    06-04-09 04:01 PM
    thanks for the response, i know what it means but my question is why do we need it? i could understand for people with regional plans (if they still have those) but for someone with a national plan, it should not matter if your roaming or not. im sure att has roaming agreements with other carriers but their phones dont show a roaming indicator. i guess, im just trying to figure out if the whole roaming indicator is a CDMA limitation or what. They say the battery dies faster when your roaming but i get the same amount if im roaming or not.
    06-04-09 05:44 PM
    The info you mention is really outdated. With no-roaming within North America, you don't need it.

With the older dual mode devices, where you might roam onto an analog network, battery life would suffer. Since you're all-digital now, you don't need it.

If you wander into Canada or Mexico, picking up their towers, you might need it.

If you have network issues, VZW (or whatever CDMA carrier you might subscribe to) might point to the fact you're roaming to distance themselves from the issue, so they would benefit from it.

The GSM carriers can program the phones to simply indicate where you are in an extra-cost roaming area. This is a little more difficult to pull off with CDMA, but it is possible. The CDMA carriers probably decided to give you as much info as they can, in case they need to point fingers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-09 06:07 PM
    Thanks for the info. Hope they remove that indicator on LTE devices. Except for the outside US use

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-09 06:32 PM
    I just got a new prl through alltel/verizon and now the roaming indicator is gone
    06-08-09 07:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD