I listen to pandora from my handheld sometimes and I checked my data usage today on my line and it's through the roof!!

I checked the FAQ section regarding data usage and it said that pandora, slacker, and iheartradio aren't prohibited and that they don't violate the TOS, but then why would my data usage be so high? Can someone explain what that's all about?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-09 04:58 PM
    Describe through the roof?

I've been using Pandora a good bit, and my usage for this month so far is a measly 200 MB.
    07-18-09 05:17 PM
    I listen to pandora from my handheld sometimes and I checked my data usage today on my line and it's through the roof!!

I checked the FAQ section regarding data usage and it said that pandora, slacker, and iheartradio aren't prohibited and that they don't violate the TOS, but then why would my data usage be so high? Can someone explain what that's all about?

Streaming audio is data intensive. But as long as you aren't tethering, your data use is unlimited.

07-18-09 05:29 PM
    It shouldn't be that high I assume. The data is recorded in kB. I average about 145,000 kB a month. That's close to 145 MB. I think the cap is around 5 GB. So I'll never come close to that mark.

07-18-09 05:34 PM
    I looked today and just since wednesday the 8th it's almost 400 mbs (371,000 kb). So 400 mb in about a week and a half. If it's unlimited then why does it show up on my account? Is it supposed to do that?

And no I'm not tethering.

Last edited by bacon.jay; 07-18-09 at 05:39 PM.
    07-18-09 05:36 PM
    I looked today and just since wednesday the 8th it's almost 400 mbs (371,000 kb). So 400 mb in about a week and a half. If it's unlimited then why does it show up on my account? Is it supposed to do that?

And no I'm not tethering.

Yeah, I suppose it's just for reference. They claim it's unlimited, but I believe they will cut you off after a certain amount. It's basically impossible to get that high though if you're not tethering.
    07-18-09 05:43 PM
    Not impossible, at all. I do it all the time and I know several people who do too. If you're on a smartphone and not a BB, it is even easier.

It shows as a remnant of pay as you go data plans and as a part of the same tracking that an aircard uses.

To think they show it to you intending on charging you, you had better get worried about those Sat and Sun calls. They track those too.
    I do anywhere from 7 to 12GB per month. No tethering and no extra charge. Don't sweat it.

07-18-09 06:22 PM
    400mb a week is fine. There's no cap. Don't worry

07-18-09 07:17 PM
    Not impossible, at all. I do it all the time and I know several people who do too. If you're on a smartphone and not a BB, it is even easier.

It shows as a remnant of pay as you go data plans and as a part of the same tracking that an aircard uses.

To think they show it to you intending on charging you, you had better get worried about those Sat and Sun calls. They track those too.
    I do anywhere from 7 to 12GB per month. No tethering and no extra charge. Don't sweat it.

What are you doing on your phone to reach 12 GB per month? I'm on mine everyday and I average about 145 MB per month. I haven't even come close to reaching 1 GB.
    07-18-09 07:26 PM
    Weekend bum is right and it is unlimited unless you are tethering.

Considering VZW just decided to push out slacker radio to handsets, I find it hard to believe they would come back at you for data charges/usage.

Now data cards are an entirely different story
    07-18-09 09:11 PM
    Ok, I was just worried about it because it showed up on my data usage field on my verizon account and wasn't sure. I won't worry about it anymore.

I guess I got a little paranoid when pandora asked me the second time if I really wanted to use it because it was data intensive, and then coupled with what I saw on my account...

What I don't get though is why on the verizon account page it shows that data is still charged at 1.99 per mb when you have the BIS blackberry plan...

07-18-09 10:29 PM
    Ok, I was just worried about it because it showed up on my data usage field on my verizon account and wasn't sure. I won't worry about it anymore.

I guess I got a little paranoid when pandora asked me the second time if I really wanted to use it because it was data intensive, and then coupled with what I saw on my account...

What I don't get though is why on the verizon account page it shows that data is still charged at 1.99 per mb when you have the BIS blackberry plan...

Pandora asks that question because some carriers do not offer unlimited plans. Those are mainly the ones in Canada, if I'm not mistaken.
    Dumb phones are on the $1.99 per MB plan. Verizon used to count your data usage against your minutes. When I had a dumb phone I would do most of my internet surfing after 9 PM and on the weekends. I guess Verizon Wireless got hyped and changed it to per MB usage.
    As long as you have the BlackBerry unlimited plan, you're good to go.

07-19-09 12:07 AM
    ummmm i have about 22 gb from using berryscanner!!!!
    07-19-09 12:30 AM
    ummmm i have about 22 gb from using berryscanner!!!!
    22 GB of usage from a cell phone application that transfers data over the air? I don't think this is even possible to compile that much data within a month. Are you sure you're computing your data usage correctly?

07-19-09 10:30 AM
    Yeah I'm pretty skeptical as well. You'd have to be running that 24/7 and even then it's a stretch.

07-19-09 10:32 AM
    no biggy its unlimited...
    07-19-09 02:39 PM
    22 GB of usage from a cell phone application that transfers data over the air? I don't think this is even possible to compile that much data within a month. Are you sure you're computing your data usage correctly?

Berryscanner isn't optimized yet and is very data happy. Could probably hit those numbers in about 50 or 60 hours of listening.

Fun app though.
    07-19-09 04:16 PM
    I listen to it all the time and haven't had a problem. You get unlimited data according to the customer service rep I asked. Hope this helps.
    07-22-09 01:04 AM
    Berryscanner isn't optimized yet and is very data happy. Could probably hit those numbers in about 50 or 60 hours of listening.

Fun app though.
    Very true, I think its 10MB just to buffer up the scanner to listen to anything.
    When I use it on a high amount of time, I can notice my usage rising really quick.

Used to think it was FlyCast 2.0 because its in beta, until I stopped using it so much and still saw the same thing. Turns out it was BerryScanner.
    Nice app though. The one on the iPhone (Emergency Radio I beleive) is .99 cents and this one is free.
    I guess it evens out when WeatherChannel is 3.99 on BBs but Free on iPhones. Pfft.
    07-22-09 02:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD