I was reading up on the differences between MMS and SMS. I read somewhere that SMS uses texts from your text plan and MMS just uses data from your data plan. Is this true? Would that mean that if i sent an MMS from my storm, it wouldn't discount a text from my plan versus sending SMS's and using texts up?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-09 02:58 AM
    Being a snooty att rep, I can tell you that MMS are still deducted from your messaging plan (or charged .30 per message domestic pay per use). But the internet protocol is required for the MMS to actually travel to/from the phone. Otherwise you'll get error messages out the wazoo! Now, as i'm only a snooty rep from att, I can't guarantee that's how it is for the rest of the carriers, but it makes perfect sense if that is the standard.

01-04-09 06:41 AM
    Dpeneds what your plan and feaures are. SMS uses the voice side of the network and MMS data. If you have SMS plan great, MMS will not take messages from there and if you have an MMS plan MMS takes it from there. MMS will use you data plan for the transport of the MMS. IF you have no plan then it is a pay per use of both SMS and MMS.
    01-04-09 08:00 AM
    Interesting. I have Verizon with a data and text plan. The mms messages I send/recieve always get deducted from my messaging plan. As I understand it, the only messages not deducted from a messaging plan are pin messages (which is for BB to BB only). I was told by Verizon that text messages are not included in the data plan.

01-04-09 02:45 PM
    When it comes to VZW's messaging plans they cover SMS/MMS/FLIX (txt/pix/video), so if you have a messaging plan any messages will come from that allotment. MMS/FLIX because they are sending more than just text also use data, so if you don't have a data plan it will pull from your airtime minutes (usually no more than 1min/msg).
    01-05-09 11:22 AM