I am think about nixing the Comcast internet at the house because I can not justify spending 70 bucks a month on internet. I have been looking at the MiFi setup from Verizon and like the fact that you can take it anywhere ( Justifies 60 bucks a month). I know that it runs off of the network and do not have the best of service at the house with my phone. My question is will the MiFi get a better signal or is my phone a solid indicator of the signal the MiFi will get or does it have a more powerful receiver? ( The XM phone in my truck gets a signal everywhere, even when I don't have a signal on my Storm due to a more powerful receiver)

Should I bother?
    11-24-09 05:55 PM
    there's always the 30 day return policy
    11-24-09 06:23 PM
    I am think about nixing the Comcast internet at the house because I can not justify spending 70 bucks a month on internet. I have been looking at the MiFi setup from Verizon and like the fact that you can take it anywhere ( Justifies 60 bucks a month). I know that it runs off of the network and do not have the best of service at the house with my phone. My question is will the MiFi get a better signal or is my phone a solid indicator of the signal the MiFi will get or does it have a more powerful receiver? ( The XM phone in my truck gets a signal everywhere, even when I don't have a signal on my Storm due to a more powerful receiver)

Should I bother?
    Why would you want to drop your $70 per month internet that gives you unlimited internet usage to go to VZWs $60 a month plan that only allows you to use 5GB of internet usage and download?
    11-24-09 06:44 PM
    Why would you want to drop your $70 per month internet that gives you unlimited internet usage to go to VZWs $60 a month plan that only allows you to use 5GB of internet usage and download?
    That's true, but the OP stated he wanted to be able to travel with it. Not that great of a benefit, but still valid.
    11-25-09 01:13 AM
    I need to purchase a mobile modem for my laptop while I am on the job site. I can't afford to have both a home based line and mobile line so I figure the MiFi would be the best of both worlds. I just want to know if I will get a better signal with the MiFi device device or would it be the exact same signal strength as my BB?
    11-29-09 08:12 AM
    I need to purchase a mobile modem for my laptop while I am on the job site. I can't afford to have both a home based line and mobile line so I figure the MiFi would be the best of both worlds. I just want to know if I will get a better signal with the MiFi device device or would it be the exact same signal strength as my BB?
    It's hard to say, you will get 30 days to see if it works for you. I say try it; if you like, keep it, no like, take it back.
    11-29-09 10:06 AM
    Yes the MiFi works off the network. So the signal that you are getting with your phone is going to be the same with the MiFi device give or take a bar or so just because every device works different. You also may want to think about teathering your device. You will get just about the same speed and only pay an extra $30 or $15 depending on what BB plan you have. Might save you money doing it that way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-09 10:15 AM
    Yes the MiFi works off the network. So the signal that you are getting with your phone is going to be the same with the MiFi device give or take a bar or so just because every device works different. You also may want to think about teathering your device. You will get just about the same speed and only pay an extra $30 or $15 depending on what BB plan you have. Might save you money doing it that way.
    Agreed on the tethering. If you can handle not talking and surfing at the same time (when you tether, you disable your phone).

The tethering will give you the same speed as the MiFi, but you may get a better data connection with the MiFi as it's built specifically for that use. Plus, as Twins often says, Blackberry radios aren't the best so the MiFi might work better.

Do what everyone else said ... try it for 30 days. If you don't like it, return it. Pretty simple.
    11-29-09 10:44 AM
    Since the mifi is wireless you could put it by a window and it may get better signal. You won't know till you try it out.

11-29-09 11:13 AM
    I don't know who your local phone company is, but if it's AT&T you night consider their DSLXtreme, which also gives you access to their WiFi spots (Starbucks, Airports etc). That will run you way less than what you're paying Comcast now.

Or, if you're in a rural area, check and see if the local utility is doing anything. My old power company in Western Kentucky was running fiber and setting up WiFi all over town. Maybe worth checking out.

11-29-09 02:57 PM

Agreed on the tethering if it works to your satisfaction. Saving $360/year tethering vs mifi might be worth it.
    11-30-09 12:41 PM
    We tried tethering our devices and found the throughput to be slow and unstable. The Mifi devices are rock solid, and I would recommend them.
    11-30-09 01:17 PM
    The signal will be the same, but the good news is you can move the device to the spot in the house with the best signal, and still have it able to reach your computer due to the wifi connection.

Pretty handy when bluetooth tethering as well.
    11-30-09 03:59 PM
    MiFi is a great concept, but the data cap from the providers kills it for me. I mean, I can see why it's done, but it doesn't work out for everyone, depending on what you do online.
    11-30-09 04:00 PM
    Gaming seems to be one of the safest fun "things to do" on a cellular connection. Just stay off the Ventrilo/skype/teamspeak and you'll be fine.
    11-30-09 04:04 PM
    The XM is satellite and that's why you get a good signal with it.

12-13-09 05:09 PM
    I would go with the mifi. I have heard good things about it. It also does have wifi so you don't have to have it right next to you when you want to use internet like you would if you used tethering on your BB.

As someone said before, the mifi is designed for doing this and only this so it will probably be better at it that tethering on a BB. It should have a more stable connection that a BB. It probably also has a better radio and will get a better signal as it can use more power for the radio.

12-14-09 02:04 AM
    Keep in mind the effective range of MiFi is only about 50 ft, versus ~ 300ft with a true wireless router. Generally wouldn't be an issue for most people, but with obstructions that 50 feet could be much less.

For example, I have a standard wireless G router connected to my DSL line. I can take my laptop to my neighbors house across the street, and next door on one side without issues, but in my kitchen (about 30 feet away) I have nearly no signal because the furnace is between me and the router. A lower power/range unit would be affected even more.

That said, the 30 day trial mentioned several times already is good advice.
    12-17-09 01:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD