I want to get a new phone...I joined Alltel in May and I'm currently merged to Verizon. However, I'm not eligible for a phone upgrade for some time.

With all the new phones coming out (Droid, Storm 2, Tour) I really want to upgrade my phone.

It seems to me my cheapest option would just be canceling my service, paying my disconnect fee....then getting new service and a discounted phone.....or is there anything that would prohibit me from doing this?

200 + 175 for the storm 2.....375 is still cheaper than the purchase price.

Thoughts?
    10-28-09 10:10 PM
    I want to get a new phone...I joined Alltel in May and I'm currently merged to Verizon. However, I'm not eligible for a phone upgrade for some time.

With all the new phones coming out (Droid, Storm 2, Tour) I really want to upgrade my phone.

It seems to me my cheapest option would just be canceling my service, paying my disconnect fee....then getting new service and a discounted phone.....or is there anything that would prohibit me from doing this?

200 + 175 for the storm 2.....375 is still cheaper than the purchase price.

Thoughts?
    depends on whether or not you are willing to contact everyone you know and give them your new cell phone number to save 165 bucks.......

also, how much is your alltel plan, and what does it include?
    10-28-09 10:15 PM
    And I wouldn't be surprised if VZW required a credit deposit for you to "come back" to them. So add $200-$400 to your cost/benefit analysis.

Why not just add a line?
    10-28-09 10:17 PM
    And I wouldn't be surprised if VZW required a credit deposit for you to "come back" to them. So add $200-$400 to your cost/benefit analysis.

Why not just add a line?
    hmm

You mean add a line, then drop the line after getting the phone I want (and pay the term fee on the 2nd line) ?

that's better than canceling my whole account, correct

I'm on the Alltel Smart1200 plan....which all things said and done, is really more than I can use...especially with the 10 my circle #'s and 7 pm Evenings.

last few months I've used around 175-200 peak minutes....although I use my phone a LOT, it's all just to maybe 7-8 #'s
    10-28-09 10:19 PM
    hmm

You mean add a line, then drop the line after getting the phone I want (and pay the term fee on the 2nd line) ?

that's better than canceling my whole account, correct

I'm on the Alltel Smart1200 plan....which all things said and done, is really more than I can use...especially with the 10 my circle #'s and 7 pm Evenings.

last few months I've used around 175-200 peak minutes....although I use my phone a LOT, it's all just to maybe 7-8 #'s
    well, if you get a VZW plan, the cheapest plan is 40 +30 for BIS. 450 minutes N&W at 9, no Friends and family......
    10-28-09 10:21 PM
    well, if you get a VZW plan, the cheapest plan is 40 +30 for BIS. 450 minutes N&W at 9, no Friends and family......
    I'd be going on the one right below 1350 minutes, with 5 friends/family if I ever switched to a VW plan
    10-28-09 10:30 PM
    how much is the smartchoice plan? does it include texting?
    10-28-09 10:31 PM
    how much is the smartchoice plan? does it include texting?
    1200 anytime nationwide minutes
    10 friends and family #'s (I currently have a bonus, so actually I have 11)
    N/W @ 7 pm
    unlimited data/texting/mms
    BB service
    unlimited m2m to same people verizon has

$109

I also have a corporate discount with verizon that I was able to apply to my Alltel plan when I got switched over, so my bill (with fees/taxes) dropped from 129 to 100 (even though it was just a 17% base reduction, the fees were less with VW)

I really like my plan and everything the way it is...I just REALLY want a Tour or Storm 2 without having to pay 500-600 bucks for it
    10-28-09 10:34 PM
    that would be 110 without BES connectivity. I guess it all boils down to are you ok with losing your phone number?
    10-28-09 10:40 PM
    that would be 110 without BES connectivity. I guess it all boils down to are you ok with losing your phone number?
    bah.....I guess I could always pick up an original storm off craigslist for 100 bucks or so once the 5.0 update's out for it
    10-29-09 12:04 AM
    I'd add an extra line and then pay the $175 ETF if you're wanting it THAT bad...

THEN activate it on your Alltel line and you'll still have your Alltel pricing. As long as you're a converted customer you have access to the Alltel pricing.
    10-29-09 12:11 AM
    If you're the account owner (its under your SSN) and you disconnect your line and you try to get a new line within 90 days it will pick up your social on your new credit app and make you re-sign up your old contract..

Verizon has thought of this.
    10-29-09 02:37 AM
    If you're the account owner (its under your SSN) and you disconnect your line and you try to get a new line within 90 days it will pick up your social on your new credit app and make you re-sign up your old contract..

Verizon has thought of this.
    thanks..that is the info I was looking for.

When I add a 2nd line...wouldn't I be required to change to a family plan? even if I'm planning on ditching it asap?
    10-29-09 08:13 AM
    thanks..that is the info I was looking for.

When I add a 2nd line...wouldn't I be required to change to a family plan? even if I'm planning on ditching it asap?
    Yes you would.
    And to add on think of it this way if you plan on dropping that 2nd line after 30 days.
    179.99 for storm 2
    175.00 for ETF
    30.00 for month of data
    10.00 for the extra line.
    35.00 in Activation fees...
    429.99$
    plus tax
    10-29-09 08:17 AM
    Yes you would.
    And to add on think of it this way if you plan on dropping that 2nd line after 30 days.
    179.99 for storm 2
    175.00 for ETF
    30.00 for month of data
    10.00 for the extra line.
    35.00 in Activation fees...
    429.99$
    plus tax
    yeah.....it's rapidly approaching "just buy the damn thing at the outright buy price" territory
    10-29-09 08:21 AM
    You can't add a line to an individual account. Therefore no 9.99. I believe its more like 20-30....maybe a little bit more

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-09 08:23 AM
    yeah.....it's rapidly approaching "just buy the damn thing at the outright buy price" territory
    LOL thats what I was thinking
    10-29-09 08:23 AM
    You can't add a line to an individual account. Therefore no 9.99. I believe its more like 20-30....maybe a little bit more

Oh yeah I'm talking if he switches to a fam plan
    10-29-09 08:27 AM
    But when you switch to a family plan your plan jumps like 20 or 30 not 10. That's what I was trying to point out.

To the op, even if this would work and they wouldn't make you resign your same contract, it would be worth the 500 bucks for a berry to me just to not have to change my number. Just something to think about.

10-29-09 09:12 AM
    But when you switch to a family plan your plan jumps like 20 or 30 not 10. That's what I was trying to point out.
    Oh ok yeah I get that but is it not 10.00 for the xtra phone on top of the price plan change?
    10-29-09 09:47 AM
    I think the first 2 lines are included in the base rate. I would have to look at dads bill to be sure though. Its him and my sister I'm on my own

10-29-09 11:39 AM
    I may be off a touch on numbers, but it works out pretty close to this:

Single line (450 min) is $39.99

Family plan (700 min) is $69.99 for first two lines. Additional lines are then $9.99 each.

Add features (text/data/etc.) to each line as needed.

10-29-09 02:17 PM
    I may be off a touch on numbers, but it works out pretty close to this:

Single line (450 min) is $39.99

Family plan (700 min) is $69.99 for first two lines. Additional lines are then $9.99 each.

Add features (text/data/etc.) to each line as needed.

yeah buddy!
    10-29-09 02:29 PM
    This is also assuming you have no prorated overages...
    10-29-09 05:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD