09-02-09 10:21 PM
31 12
tools
    I signed up for Verizon about three weeks ago. I bought my phone and service from Amazon. Thinking that service would definitely be good, I have already given the phone number out to all of my friends and family. Unfortunately, I get bad service both at home and in my office. ATT gets better service in both of those places, so I am thinking about switching. However, I do not want to lose my new phone number.

Since I am within the 30 day trial period, I can still cancel my Verizon account without incurring the early termination fee. But can I also keep my new phone number, or would I lose that if I cancel? I was thinking I could probably just switch the phone number over to ATT, thereby canceling the Verizon account, but that I should still be safe from the ETF since it is within 30 days.

Anybody know? Thanks.
    08-31-09 11:07 PM
    You can port the number as far as I know. However, since you bought service through a 3rd party retailer you may still be charged fees if you cancel.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-09 11:11 PM
    Really, the 30 day worry free guarantee goes out the window when you buy 3rd party.
    08-31-09 11:14 PM
    you purchased through a 3rd party, so you'll have to find out amazon's return policies...i'd go to their site, and email/chat/call or whatever, they will have different policies than VZW...
    08-31-09 11:15 PM
    Port it out to the new carrier. You're within the first 30 days so all you'll have to pay is the cost of your usage during the time you've had the service. You won't get charged an ETF. You will have to contact the third party you pruchased the phone from to get return info. You'll probably have to send your phone back but you can buy a new one from att at a reduced price with a contract.
    08-31-09 11:22 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I think Towlie is right, because Amazon sent a little card that said if I want to cancel, all I have to do is cancel first with Verizon and then send the phone back.

I was just curious if anybody had firsthand experience with canceling within 30 days, but still keeping your phone number.
    09-01-09 09:01 AM
    i work for Verizon. You would not be able to take your number. BUTTT since u bought from Amazon. who knows lol
    09-01-09 09:48 AM
    Bowl: so even though Verizon has a 30-day period in which you can cancel without an ETF, I would not be able to take the number? What would happen if I just went to ATT, ported over the number, and then canceled the Verizon? Would they charge me an ETF despite the 30 day period?
    09-01-09 10:41 AM
    You were able to do that before when Verizon had the "Test Drive" promo but as far as I know you will not be able to port the number.

09-01-09 11:32 AM
    It wouldn't make sense if you couldn't port your number. Nothing is technically stopping the port process.

Plus it's the LAW:

Under the Federal Communications Commission’s (FCC’s) “local number portability” (LNP) rules, so long as you remain in the same geographic area, you can switch telephone service providers, including interconnected Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) providers, and keep your existing phone number. If you are moving from one geographic area to another, however, you may not be able to take your number with you. Therefore, subscribers remaining in the same geographic area can now switch from a wireless, wireline, or VoIP provider to any other wireless, wireline, or VoIP provider and still keep their existing phone numbers.

If you want to change companies:

Do not terminate your service with your existing company before initiating service with the prospective new company.

Contact the new company, which will start the process of porting your number by contacting your current company. Be prepared to provide the new company with your 10-digit phone number, customer account number, five-digit zip code, and passcode, if applicable.

Be aware that when terminating service with a wireless company, you may be obligated to pay any early termination fees under your existing contract. Also, when terminating service with any company, you are usually required to pay any outstanding balance owed. Review your bill or contract to determine what fees or charges apply. Once you request service from the new company, however, your old company may not refuse to port your number, even if you owe money for an outstanding balance or termination fee.

You may request service from a new company at any time.
    Source: Keeping Your Telephone Number When You Change Your Service Provider
    Last edited by tsguy52; 09-01-09 at 11:42 AM.
    09-01-09 11:40 AM
    Large ETF with Amazon separate from VZW.

If the number is relatively new, dump it - there are issues with ported numbers. Native switch exchanges are preferable.

09-01-09 11:59 AM
    yeah, porting gets sticky, and causes lots and LOTS of problems....

RE: post about "its the law"

the MTN/MDN is owned by the carrier, porting is not a right, it's a privledge

and even if you port, regardless of the 30 days (since i believe test drive has been modified since i last read/heard about it) you're charged an ETF

i believe porting isn't treated the same as a disconnect

for further clarification, call the carrier, and talk to amazon
    09-01-09 02:16 PM
    Correct - and in some instances, trial periods are excluded from porting.

09-01-09 03:38 PM
    So you are saying VZW can choose whether it wants to follow the ruling? As long as it is in the same geographical area according to the FCC - you can port your number.

Sure that line range is "owned" by the carrier, but it is given to them by the same group that regulates porting (FCC). Is that not true?

Not sure how it isn't a right in this case?
    Last edited by tsguy52; 09-01-09 at 03:46 PM.
    09-01-09 03:44 PM
    So you are saying VZW can choose whether it wants to follow the ruling? As long as it is in the same geographical area according to the FCC - you can port your number.

So not sure how it isn't a right in this case?
    Don't confuse rights with services & arbitrary laws. Allowing porting after having a number for only a couple weeks could open the door to abuse of the system.

09-01-09 03:47 PM
    Don't confuse rights with services & arbitrary laws. Allowing porting after having a number for only a couple weeks could open the door to abuse of the system.

Well that's where I am having a hard time finding exceptions to the ruling. I don't see anywhere it gives the carrier an amount of time to deny porting.
    09-01-09 03:51 PM
    Well that's where I am having a hard time finding exceptions to the ruling. I don't see anywhere it gives the carrier an amount of time to deny porting.
    the customer can request the port from their new carrier, but it's up to VZW to approve and release the port...i'd say that the WFG window is protected by some agreement, i can't think of it off of my head, but if you read the customer agreement i'm sure it'll clarify for you, in the most vague and ambiguous jargon available
    09-01-09 03:56 PM
    Okay - just got off the phone with my AT&T guy - my VZW person was at lunch - he said 30 day trial periods are effectively ended with a port to another carrier - in other words, the minute they receive a port order, an ETF is applied.

The main reason for this is that to comply with the terms of any trial period, you must cancel with your carrier directly & not through any sub-process. For LNP to work, you cannot cancel your service first.

So yes - you may get service, then port a day later - but you will be charged an ETF and you will be required to pay it.

In the case of VZW, that'll be $175. Cha-ching!

09-01-09 04:11 PM
    If you want to hear stupid, we are Alltel, going to be Verizon, yet I had a person who wanted to port her number over onto her bf account, but Verizon would not release the number! And she is out of contract!
    09-01-09 04:16 PM
    yeah, it's stupid...however, there are system limitations in a merger that prevent stuff like that from happening...

can she convert her account to a VZW plan, then do an AOL same day?
    09-01-09 04:18 PM
    what may seem stupid and unnecessary or in the way of productivity to you might make really good business sense.

consider that due to sites like this and others, the knowledge of "loop holes" with carrier agreements, how many people attempt to take advantage of the system.

it's the basis of the whole "adam & eve" "fruit of knowledge" yadda yadda....with knowledge and power comes the potential for abuse of that knowledge and power...

don't mean to start a political or religious debate, but that's the only example i could come up with right now...low blood sugar or something...
    09-01-09 04:21 PM
    If you want to hear stupid, we are Alltel, going to be Verizon, yet I had a person who wanted to port her number over onto her bf account, but Verizon would not release the number! And she is out of contract!
    Port her VZW number over to an Alltel account that is about to be converted back to VZW? lol.. the things people do to get Alltel pricing...
    09-01-09 04:33 PM
    don't mean to start a political or religious debate
    Allow me to cover both for you - what is the only thing God & Obama have in common?

Neither has a birth certificate.

As for the Alltel comment, you cannot normally port numbers with a company. Exceptions might be taking a Verizon wireline number to a VZW line. But you cannot "port" from VZW-Alltel to VZW.

09-01-09 04:36 PM
    same thing happened with that prepaid company that closed down...since the numbers belong to VZW you'll have to do an AOL...there will be a department eventually, if it's not set up already...
    09-01-09 04:39 PM
    you'll have to do an AOL....
    There is NEVER a good reason to do that.

America Online sucks - always has & always will.

Posted from my SA-Berry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-09 05:09 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD