I recently acquired a perfectly new blackberry from a friend of mine. As of right now I have the enV VX9900 from Verizon as well and I am on the cheapest plan you can get. What I really want is to just call up the Verizon number, and activate the phone just like I did with the enV. The problem is that I read around and I saw that you can;t own a blackberry without having a data plan (I don't have one.) so is it possible for me to call up the Verizon phone activation number (228 or something like that...) and continue using the phone as if nothng ever happened? After all, that's what I did with the enV, I just want to make sure I can do t he same with the blackberry curve. Thanks a lot in advance!
    04-13-09 02:48 PM
    No. If you do *228 and activate it will transfer you. There is no way to get a blackberry without a data plan. Really, no way.
    04-13-09 02:50 PM
    Really? That's ridiculous. All I want to use it for is the contacts and maybe take down some notes every once and a while. What a waste of a perfectly good black berry then. There is no way I'm paying any extra money for a data plan I will never use
    04-13-09 02:59 PM
    Oh trust me if you had the data plan you would use it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-09 03:02 PM
    How much exactly is the data plan? What does it include? Serously, If I want to browse the web I will go to my computer and browse the web. I don't really have time for a data plan.
    04-13-09 03:04 PM
    I second grandpa. Even my laptop useage has decreased since I got my blackberry.

This is the beauty of SIM cards, and why I will never switch to a carrier that doesn't have them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-09 03:06 PM
    Okay well then I guess I'll just sell the phone on ebay. No point in using a phone I can't afford.
    04-13-09 03:10 PM
    The data plan is a $1/day or $30 a month. It gives you unlimited email and web. I'd say give it a try, there is a reason why they call them "crackberries." There are other phones that have contact lists and had calendars.
    04-13-09 04:11 PM
    If you have any other friends that have a BB then you can BlackBerry Messenger with them, the best push e-mail, a ton of different apps(even some free), tons of themes, if it is a 8330 you can picture text message which you can't do with the iPhone, and on and on. I really like my BB and wouldn't give it up for anything else.
    04-13-09 05:02 PM
    My wife came into the Blackberry fold with much kicking, screaming and gnashing of teeth. Now you would have to pry the "crackberry" from her hands. She is hooked, there is a reason why they call them "Crackberries".
    04-13-09 05:06 PM
    *228 will not work, but 30 dollars a month or unlimited email and internet is not that bad of a deal.
    04-13-09 05:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD