Hi everyone,
    Have the following question: is Q10 and so Z10 globally unlocked out of the box?

I saw lot of Verizon Q10 here in Vietnam being sold brand new for like 400 usd, that means they have the cost-price even lower. While the officialy world model (with 18months warranty) being sold for 750-800 dollars.

If they sell the brand new Q10 VZ in here for 400$ (wich includes all the shippings + profits etc) then the purchase price should be around 200$ which is the price for a 2-y contract VZ Q10. If they buy this kind of fones then they are OK to sell at 400-450$, so is the VZ Q10 unlocked out of the box even if purchased along with the contract?

If yes then the possibility of being locked again in the future is very high, even tho they warranty the life-time unlocked status.

I have checked their fones and the statuses were Unlocked for real (in settings - security - sim, everything Unlocked)

Shocked with the price.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 04:02 AM
    Hi everyone,
    Have the following question: is Q10 and so Z10 globally unlocked out of the box?

I saw lot of Verizon Q10 here in Vietnam being sold brand new for like 400 usd, that means they have the cost-price even lower. While the officialy world model (with 18months warranty) being sold for 750-800 dollars.

If they sell the brand new Q10 VZ in here for 400$ (wich includes all the shippings + profits etc) then the purchase price should be around 200$ which is the price for a 2-y contract VZ Q10. If they buy this kind of fones then they are OK to sell at 400-450$, so is the VZ Q10 unlocked out of the box even if purchased along with the contract?

If yes then the possibility of being locked again in the future is very high, even tho they warranty the life-time unlocked status.

I have checked their fones and the statuses were Unlocked for real (in settings - security - sim, everything Unlocked)

Shocked with the price.

Posted via CB10
    Not sure what is happening there, but the Verizon model is not unlocked out of the box. I asked when the white came out because I wanted to use it with AT&T and they said that no, it was not unlocked. I would have had to get the unlock code.
    hieupham likes this.
    09-23-13 04:10 AM
    All Verizon smart phones now are mandated to come unlocked by the FCC. My white Z10 is unlocked out of the box.

Sent from my iPad
    hieupham and 00stryder like this.
    09-23-13 05:58 AM
    All Verizon smart phones now are mandated to come unlocked by the FCC. My white Z10 is unlocked out of the box.

Sent from my iPad
    So by this, they can just by the contracted fone for like 199$ and then just ship and sell here?

Also I have noticed this problem of the battery door

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...attery-852465/
    09-23-13 06:21 AM

Sent from my iPad
    Are you SERIOUS?!?!?!? I've been wanting a white Q and even asked here and the salespeople at Verizon told me it would not work on AT&T!!!!
    09-23-13 06:33 AM
    The fact that VZW is required to have devices unlocked because of the 700MHZ spectrum needs to be stickied somewhere around here. Not many people seem to know, which is very sad.

Are you SERIOUS?!?!?!? I've been wanting a white Q and even asked here and the salespeople at Verizon told me it would not work on AT&T!!!!
    hieupham likes this.
    09-23-13 04:56 PM
    The fact that VZW is required to have devices unlocked because of the 700MHZ spectrum needs to be stickied somewhere around here. Not many people seem to know, which is very sad.
    Do I understand correctly that the VZ handsets are unlocked globaly directly out of the box? if true, then I can be buying one of those Verizon handsets in here and never worry about the lockings?

As per this: BlackBerry Q10 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    the SQN1 and 5 do also have LTE 700mhz

But if the handset was purchased, let's say for 199$ with 2Y Contract then after moving here to Vietnam, it will have the risk to be locked again in the future right?
    09-23-13 09:14 PM
    Just left VZw and they REFUSED to sell it to me unlocked.

Sent from my beautiful white iPhone 5 on iOS7 using Tapatalk
    09-24-13 09:47 AM
    They'll do anything to convince you that they are your only option.
    00stryder likes this.
    09-24-13 09:54 AM
    From what i remember, they are unlocked. Having said that, you need to check the frequency phone supports. I remember readings somewhere that VZW will not support 4G on ATT or TMobile but 2G might work. I would say if anyone wants to buy it should do their homework about the new carrier and frequency they use.
    09-24-13 09:55 AM
    Sadly I walked out without a phone and with my blood pressure WAY HIGH!!!

They refused. Even with the manager.

09-24-13 09:55 AM
    Hi qbnkelt,

Sorry to hear about the treatment you received at the Verizon store. Is buying it from the Verizon website an option for you? Coincidentally, I have a brand new Verizon Q10 that I (or rather, my fiancee, she won it) want to sell, but it's black and not white so I doubt you'd be interested.

Regarding Verizon Q10 devices working on AT&T, it will indeed work and they are all sold fully unlocked, but you won't get LTE-speeds. Currently you'll only get up to HSPA, which isn't bad, but at the same time isn't the best either, if that's an issue for you. But, Verizon and AT&T recently made a deal where VZW swapped access to its LTE network in some areas for AT&T in exchange for cash, so depending on where you live you might actually achieve those speeds.

Posted via CB10 on my white Z10 & lovin' it!
    09-24-13 11:29 AM
    Hi there
    I can't do it from the web without an account/plan. ๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข

I guess it's just a matter if going to the right VZW store???? They treated me like I was a criminal. I've never been looked up and down like that.

That you for mentioning the one you've got but I do want white. And I want to be able to return it to a store of something happens. That's the only reason I don't go to Amazon. They're there.

I'm so depressed....

09-24-13 11:37 AM
    Hi there
    I can't do it from the web without an account/plan. ๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข

I guess it's just a matter if going to the right VZW store???? They treated me like I was a criminal. I've never been looked up and down like that.

That you for mentioning the one you've got but I do want white. And I want to be able to return it to a store of something happens. That's the only reason I don't go to Amazon. They're there.

I'm so depressed....

I'm sorry... Yeah I don't know why they're being so stingy with the Q10, it's not like it's at launch and it's not exactly flying off the shelf... The only suggestion I would make, if going to another store doesn't work. is finding a friend with a Verizon plan and going to the store with them. They can ask to buy the phone off-contract (for whatever reason, like they want to activate it on their line later or something) and then you pay for it. It shouldn't actually be associated with their account so it shouldn't be a problem to return if need be, but their presence at the store should get you past the boneheadedness.

One last alternative would be to buy from a Canadian carrier or have a contact you know up there send you one, though tax and shipping might kill that deal...

09-24-13 11:51 AM
    I'm sorry... Yeah I don't know why they're being so stingy with the Q10, it's not like it's at launch and it's not exactly flying off the shelf... The only suggestion I would make, if going to another store doesn't work. is finding a friend with a Verizon plan and going to the store with them. They can ask to buy the phone off-contract (for whatever reason, like they want to activate it on their line later or something) and then you pay for it. It shouldn't actually be associated with their account so it shouldn't be a problem to return if need be, but their presence at the store should get you past the boneheadedness.

One last alternative would be to buy from a Canadian carrier or have a contact you know up there send you one, though tax and shipping might kill that deal...

Yeah I'm thinking of asking my program manager. She's on VZW so that shouldn't be a problem. I hope.

I just need to bring her Crumbs cupcakes.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    00stryder likes this.
    09-24-13 01:20 PM
    A lot of the unlocking issue in the USA revolves around current laws here. The USA is one of the few major markets that has enforced locked devices so aggressively - basically outlawing the practice unless the carrier chooses to do otherwise.

There was a short time that that law was set aside due to the way a governmental agency chose to interpret the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, but that exemption ended in January of this year.

Say Goodbye to Legal Unlocking | iFixit

However there is a movement to abandon that legal prohibition for good, I believe legislation is currently working through Congress on that.

Then you have the other issue which is what air interfaces a particular model supports, and the VZW Z10 is pretty much the most limited in terms of working on "foreign networks" of any of the Z10 models. The Q10 is slightly better, but still from what I can see won't support HSPA on most GSM networks, which means you will likely be restricted to 2G data on most non-VZW networks.

Not really a very ideal device to roam with.
    09-29-13 02:00 AM