Hi all,

I'm moving to a different country in August for one year, and that place is unfortunately not very well covered by Verizon international plans (there is no data, and calls are at least 1.50 a minute).

However, I just got the Storm in November so ideally what I would do is put the verizon plan on hold and unlock the storm and use it with a local cell carrier for local calls and skype for international.

So, is it possible to "hold" a plan? My berry with data is just one line on a large family plan so I don't know if I can take myself out without messing up my contract.

Thanks!
    02-25-09 07:20 PM
    Is this a military deployment?
    02-25-09 07:41 PM
    Is this a military deployment?
    No, it's a temporary teaching position.
    02-25-09 07:46 PM
    I'm interested to hear how this works out-not that I'll ever travel out of country.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-09 07:53 PM
    Sounds like a great oppertunity. I would call VZW CS and ask what options they avail for your situation. 800-922-0204
    02-25-09 07:55 PM
    Isn't there some clause that releases you if you end up in an area without VZW service?

Although the fact it is part of a Family Share may complicate that.

Frankly, Mr. Alexandrk, we don't care you're heading to Lower Elbonia for a year long teaching assignment under the Pope by order of the President of Outer Slobakia. You can surely find another Friend or Family member to pay your portion of the bill, ya cheapskate!

Oh wait - you said to call VZW customer service, not Sprint CS.
    02-25-09 08:57 PM
    Yes, if you go to an area that does not have VZW coverage you can terminate your contract without ETF.

Now for those of thinking about calling to do this, VZW will require proof of your new address before this get approved
    02-25-09 10:14 PM
    Well this is good info to know if ever in that situation! Tks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-09 10:55 AM
    I saw on my online account you can temporarily stop service ; I do not know how long that lasts but I would think a year is to long for that service. Your best bet would be to call verizon.
    02-26-09 05:57 PM
    You can suspend service for six months w/o billing. Longer if it's for deployment or relocation. If you have proof (address/utility bill and renters agreement) that you're moving you can fax it over and Verizon will waive your termination fee but when you come back you have to get a new number, new contract, new activation fee.. sometimes it's better to see if you can work out an extended suspension w/o billing.
    02-26-09 06:11 PM
    You can suspend your line for $5 per month and for each month your line is suspended your contract end date is extended by that amount of time.
    03-02-09 05:40 PM
    You can suspend your line for $5 per month and for each month your line is suspended your contract end date is extended by that amount of time.
    It is not $5 per month. The suspend fee is $15 for up to 90 days and you can do it twice in a 12 month period.
    03-03-09 01:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD