I'm planning to purchase a Blackberry Pearl 8130 on Ebay (new or lightly used for somewhere in the $220-$280 range), and I had a few general questions and didn't know how to go about digging through other threads:

1) Will the manufacturer warranty still be valid even after a change of ownership?

2) I like the Black version Sprint has a little more. Is it possible to activate it on Verizon's network? Is so, is this process difficult?

EDIT: 3) One More.. This concerns Questions #2. I've played around alot with my girlfriends Silver 8130. Is the black Sprint version identical outside of the color and branding?

3) Is it more practical to purchase it new from a retail store (I think I qualify for the ADC discount, but my NE2 is still about a year or so away)?

4) I would be transitioning from a full QWERTY (LG VX9900). Will be difficult to adapt to Suretype? Has anyone made a similar transition?

Thanks in advance for the help
    04-15-08 05:04 PM
    I cannot answer all your questions but if purchasing from eBay ensure the seller has had the device PIN released from their Blackberry Internet Service account with their provider. This is needed to enable you to activate an account.

Find out what it would actually cost to buy new and compare. New will give you full warranty, not sure about eBay.

Suretype just takes a little while to get used to, I actually prefer it now to multi tap.

Welcome to CB!
    04-15-08 05:29 PM
    Get one from vzw, online rebate, adc, 2 year pricing and warranty, it'll be less than what you are willing to spend on eBay, and you won't have to worry about getting ripped off.
    PLUS, if you do it now and don't like SureType, you can exchange it for a curve..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-08 06:22 PM
    Buy your BB in store. And if you need accessories go on at ebay for good price.
    04-15-08 07:20 PM
    Id say your better off checking out what verizon can offer you. if you havent ever upgraded early, you qualify for an early upgrade(after having previous phone for 1 year), and that price will probably be better then ebay for you.
    04-15-08 07:24 PM
    Make sure before you check into upgrading, you have an online account set up. Seems to be a big deal in upgrading after a year with your present phone.
    04-15-08 09:08 PM
    If you purchase it from a source other than Verizon or an authorized reseller such as ebay, the warranty will be void.
    04-15-08 09:15 PM
    However, if you have insurance on your account ($5/mo i think) it IS covered under that. I used my insurance to replace my ebay bought 8703e which I dropped on the concrete.
    04-16-08 10:33 AM
    Personally speaking since I work for a cellular company and seen this happen so many times. The unit that you are buying you really never know if it is already reported Lost/Stolen, on a fraudulent account or even previous owner never paid bill and on a NON PAY account. Most times these units end up being a really expensive paperweight. It is very sad because people are paying good money for these devices and once they receive them and try to activate they run in to more problems than it worth.
    04-16-08 10:42 AM
    Some of this information is trying to scare you into buying new only from a store. If you are not up for an upgrade and would need to but the phone out right i would use ebay. I have sold many phones on there because I got tired of the phone or wanted the new one that was out. You are not always going to get ripped off. check feedback that sometimes help. If the price is to good to be true well it usally is. I will have a verizon pearl for sale with all the box and papers that it came with when i got it a few months ago. I am going to sell to get the curve mine will be out on ebay or craigsl;ist
    04-16-08 11:02 AM
    Are all phones on a plan eligable for an early upgrade if you have never done it. I want a Pearl now since I have been fooling with my wifes.
    04-16-08 12:15 PM
    I got my Pearl 8130 from Ebay brand new still sealed in the box. Its covered under my protection plan. I've bought several electronics off of Ebay and I've never had a problem.
    04-16-08 12:16 PM
    If you are a Verizon customer, why not wait a couple more weeks and get the Curve for about the same price. Just my $0.02 worth.
    04-17-08 11:17 AM
    I got my Pearl 8130 from Ebay brand new still sealed in the box. Its covered under my protection plan. I've bought several electronics off of Ebay and I've never had a problem.
    I got mine on Ebay too and have had NO problems.
    04-17-08 03:46 PM
    I recently bought mine off Ebay from Zendoo Electronics. 136 shipped and it works like a charm. for about hte last 5 years I have always replaced my phone about every 3 months from ebay. had an issue once with Zendo, but a quick call and it was fixxed iwth a different handset shipped next day air. dont be scared of Ebay, just do your homework first about the seller. look at feedback, pull history and look at other items sold and how those transactins went.
    04-24-08 01:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD