does anyone know that if someone buys a blackberry from someone previously with verizon that has not paid their account in full, would someone have any problems getting new service on it?

ie:
    i want to buy a curve from someone that was with verizon but didn't pay their final bill.
    04-25-09 09:01 PM
    It should be blacklisted.
    04-25-09 09:06 PM
    It should be blacklisted.
    what do you mean by blacklisted?

the device is rendered "no good" until the bill is paid?

so it's a paper weight 'till the account shows current?

thanks in advance
    04-25-09 09:08 PM
    Right. I'm not sure HOW past due it would need to be or if it is immediate, but I wouldn't take the risk. If you call with the ESN, they will be able to tell you if it can be activated on a different account.
    04-25-09 09:10 PM
    Right. I'm not sure HOW past due it would need to be or if it is immediate, but I wouldn't take the risk. If you call with the ESN, they will be able to tell you if it can be activated on a different account.
    ok thanks for the follow up and knowledge
    04-25-09 09:13 PM
    one more thing came to mind for "just in case", would that account for an early termination fee as well?
    or would that just be on the previous owner?
    04-25-09 09:14 PM
    Well, in order to remove that phone and use it elsewhere, assuming it is blacklisted for being past due, the account would need to be current, and if the person intends to cancel the account it would require the early termination fee. However if the account is back to being current and the phone was sold to you and then that person cancelled their account early, that's not your issue anymore.

I may be misunderstanding your question so if I am let me know!
    04-25-09 09:18 PM
    Well, in order to remove that phone and use it elsewhere, assuming it is blacklisted for being past due, the account would need to be current, and if the person intends to cancel the account it would require the early termination fee. However if the account is back to being current and the phone was sold to you and then that person cancelled their account early, that's not your issue anymore.

I may be misunderstanding your question so if I am let me know!
    yes you got me perfect. thanks

i'm glad i thought to ask before i jumped on the purchase
    seems like i have some talking to do with this person first
    thanks again
    awesome help
    04-25-09 09:23 PM
    You're welcome. As long as Verizon allows you to activate the phone, what that person does with their account afterward shouldn't be your issue anymore.
    04-25-09 09:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD