10-14-09 08:29 AM
278 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Exactly. Its against the rules to identify yourself as an employee involving anything that's not company sanctioned.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I can't find that in the code of conduct?
    08-25-09 03:29 PM
    Agreed. I will posting less & less.
    As a VZW customer who has been happy with the availability and enthusiasm of the reps in this forum to provide answers I hope you *all* continue posting.
    Not everyone is so eager to dismiss your assistance.
    However, if you do decide it is not in your best interest to post here, it is understandable. You will be missed.
    08-25-09 03:33 PM
    Because its not. You can't identify yourself ad a representative OF the company. Nothing against saying you work there.

08-25-09 03:34 PM
    Let us all know I'm digging and haven't found anything as of yet. I know that we represent VZW as soon as we say we are reps but being on here as anyone else shouldn't be against any rules...
    08-25-09 03:43 PM
    The only thing I see that may apply is "Misconduct off the job" but that deals more with criminal acitivity I think.
    08-25-09 03:49 PM
    True like company secrets/emails/contacts/info that was leaked...
    08-25-09 03:50 PM
    As a VZW customer who has been happy with the availability and enthusiasm of the reps in this forum to provide answers I hope you *all* continue posting.
    Not everyone is so eager to dismiss your assistance.
    However, if you do decide it is not in your best interest to post here, it is understandable. You will be missed.
    That's appreciated, thank you.
    08-25-09 04:06 PM
    IMO there's a huge difference between saying where you work, and acting as a representative of the company. There's always a link back which makes it unwise to do or say anything "discreditable" (which would get you busted anyway if you did it in office time) but everyone has the basic right to do what they wish in their non-employment time and should be responsible for their actions. Employers don't expect off duty staff to represent/promote the company any more than they should bash the company. Come to think of it... CrackBerry doesn't allow either behavior. Everyone is here on their own personal account.

Having said that, any employee from any industry has to be careful about his status while online. You're either in-work-time hat-on official, or off-the-clock hat-off private-individual. If there is doubt and it is important to the topic, mention it in the post or put it in a signature. "I'm in My Time. Anything I say here is my opinion and may not be approved policy of my kids, dog, wife, employer, government or anyone else" kind of thing. We do the same as moderators from time to time.
    08-25-09 04:22 PM
    You "Verizon reps" are appear delusional and somewhat paranoid. One guy writes on PFB that he is upset with one thread on CB and you guys take it to mean that everyone on here is out to get you because of the help you offer customers. That is a lonnnnnnng stretch. Had you stuck with JUST giving advice and help I believe that the only people calling you on bad or misinformed advice would be the other VZWs.
    However, some of you decided that you should blow off steam because you are in such a pressure job and start a lets trash some crazy customers for a chuckle. I can assure you that there are jobs with higher pressure than yours whose employees don't do what you do in a public forum.
    To me this thread is funnier than the one about you guys that was locked because some got their feelings hurt. Keep it up.
    08-25-09 04:29 PM
    You "Verizon reps" are appear delusional and somewhat paranoid. One guy writes on PFB that he is upset with one thread on CB and you guys take it to mean that everyone on here is out to get you because of the help you offer customers. That is a lonnnnnnng stretch. Had you stuck with JUST giving advice and help I believe that the only people calling you on bad or misinformed advice would be the other VZWs.
    However, some of you decided that you should blow off steam because you are in such a pressure job and start a lets trash some crazy customers for a chuckle. I can assure you that there are jobs with higher pressure than yours whose employees don't do what you do in a public forum.
    To me this thread is funnier than the one about you guys that was locked because some got their feelings hurt. Keep it up.
    1st Thank you I was getting bored.
    2nd We Verizon reps are appear delusional? You must be delusional.
    3rd We can start threads just like anyone else. We don't trash customer's by name we share stories of our day. Much like you going home from your job at McDonald's and explaining to your coworkers a customer was rude in the drivethrough. And I have never said that are jobs are difficult. Its people like you who make it difficult. We come on here and post because we would rather do it here than have some clown come in to a store/call in.
    08-25-09 04:33 PM
    IMO there's a huge difference between saying where you work, and acting as a representative of the company. There's always a link back which makes it unwise to do or say anything "discreditable" (which would get you busted anyway if you did it in office time) but everyone has the basic right to do what they wish in their non-employment time and should be responsible for their actions. Employers don't expect off duty staff to represent/promote the company any more than they should bash the company. Come to think of it... CrackBerry doesn't allow either behavior. Everyone is here on their own personal account.

Having said that, any employee from any industry has to be careful about his status while online. You're either in-work-time hat-on official, or off-the-clock hat-off private-individual. If there is doubt and it is important to the topic, mention it in the post or put it in a signature. "I'm in My Time. Anything I say here is my opinion and may not be approved policy of my kids, dog, wife, employer, government or anyone else" kind of thing. We do the same as moderators from time to time.
    I worked in HR in a different industry and I will tell you that the NLRB does not have the same opinion as you. There are many instances in which an employee's actions off the clock led to his/her termination which was upheld by the Board. Also, many of these employees on here are probably "at will" employees that can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law e.g age, sex, religion, etc.

To everyone, here is an example:
    Employee Fired by Starbucks Over Blog - Blogcritics Culture

You can google "employee fired for comments" (leave out the quotes) and see examples of employees fired for what they write on the internet, even in private sessions. I post this not as a threat but damn good advice
    08-25-09 04:52 PM
    I worked in HR in a different industry and I will tell you that the NLRB does not have the same opinion as you. There are many instances in which an employee's actions off the clock led to his/her termination which was upheld by the Board. Also, many of these employees on here are probably "at will" employees that can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law e.g age, sex, religion, etc.

To everyone, here is an example:
    Employee Fired by Starbucks Over Blog - Blogcritics Culture

You can google "employee fired for comments" (leave out the quotes) and see examples of employees fired for what they write on the internet, even in private sessions. I post this not as a threat but damn good advice
    Which is why I posted in the thread about customers that I have loads of stories but I would rather keep my job

I worked in publishing for 10 years for an HR publication. He is correct.

Check this out bob:

Shop Talk (Phone Scoop)
    Last edited by MrButthead007; 08-25-09 at 05:06 PM. Reason: adding info
    08-25-09 05:00 PM
    The only thing I see that may apply is "Misconduct off the job" but that deals more with criminal acitivity I think.
    Tidbits from the Verizon Code of Conduct:

You must obtain approval from both your director-level or above supervisor and the business unit’s highest level senior officer prior to serving on a board or committee of a public company, or acting as a representative of Verizon on a board or committee of any outside organization.
    -----

You must not selectively disclose (whether in one-on-one or small discussions or meetings) any material information regarding Verizon, its securities, business operations, plans, financial condition, results or any development or plan. You should be particularly careful not to disclose such information if you make presentations or proposals to customers, business providers, investors or to any other third party.

-----

You may never disclose nonpublic company information to Internet forums (including “blogs”, chat rooms or electronic bulletin boards), selected shareholders or financial analysts.

-----

If you discover or suspect any misrepresentation, misstatement, misunderstanding, omission or other mistake by yourself or another employee, you must immediately disclose it to the Legal Department so that the company can take prompt steps to remedy the situation

-----

And, closest to this subject, an excerpt of what Weekendbum referred to. It applies to ALL conduct off the job & goes on to mention what to do if an employee has a legal issue off the job.

Misconduct Off the Job
    Employees must avoid conduct off the job that could impair work performance or affect the company’s reputation or business interests.

I will put in more later, if needed.

08-25-09 05:14 PM
    And Jahoobob speaks the truth - most VZW centers are in right-to-work states. Union representation is not required & employment is at will.

We recently saw a local police department terminate a veteran officer because of things his wife was doing online. Another issue with another officer (Chandler, AZ, if I recall correctly) where he & his wife posted some things regarding their private lives - he was terminated. Union couldn't save either of them & courts refused to reinstate either. I will have to see if I can find the news information.

If you really believe your employer cannot fire you for things you do on your own time, you need to check your naivete at the door & enter the world of reality - because they can, even in union states.

And, while VZ Comm employees can usually have IBEW or CWA representation, I don't believe VZW call center reps have that luxury (or bane, depending on your political persuasion).

08-25-09 05:22 PM
    Hmmm, seems like there are more Boise reps here then just me lol... sweet i am not alone!
    08-25-09 05:42 PM

[snip]

Misconduct Off the Job
    Employees must avoid conduct off the job that could impair work performance or affect the company’s reputation or business interests.
    Yup, I think we have the same play list. That's the one I hinted at with "discreditable". What falls into this category depends on employer policy, but it is usually fairly obvious and it doesn't take a stroke of genius to find out. Most of the other categories are also pretty obvious and some are even derived from law.

And.. noting your response and ready to exchange views and clear some issues with you when you are ready.
    08-25-09 06:03 PM
    I've said something similar to this letter in previous posts. I think that anyone representing any company needs to do so in the same way they would do if they are on the clock. For one, if you couldn't say it to a customer without getting fired, don't say it here. Sure, you're likely very safe, but every time we do this, we jeopardize our livelihood. I try to refrain from remarks about some of the ****head patients I transport because if I talk bad, it makes us ALL look bad.

Just because you are justified in your statements does not make them ok. Being an employee of a company holds some certain standards to follow, including biting your tongue.
    -

Remember, regardless of whether you are venting or not, you have chosen to represent your individual company(not jsut say you work for X company) and because of this you need to remember that your actions reflect on your company and your coworkers.
    08-25-09 06:14 PM

You must obtain approval from both your director-level or above supervisor and the business units highest level senior officer prior to serving on a board or committee of a public company, or acting as a representative of Verizon on a board or committee of any outside organization.
    -----
    Irrelevant, we're not acting as representatives.

You must not selectively disclose (whether in one-on-one or small discussions or meetings) any material information regarding Verizon, its securities, business operations, plans, financial condition, results or any development or plan. You should be particularly careful not to disclose such information if you make presentations or proposals to customers, business providers, investors or to any other third party.
    We don't do this, we already know you can't disclose secret information.

You may never disclose nonpublic company information to Internet forums (including blogs, chat rooms or electronic bulletin boards), selected shareholders or financial analysts.
    Same as above.

If you discover or suspect any misrepresentation, misstatement, misunderstanding, omission or other mistake by yourself or another employee, you must immediately disclose it to the Legal Department so that the company can take prompt steps to remedy the situation
    Don't really see how this matters.

Misconduct Off the Job
    Employees must avoid conduct off the job that could impair work performance or affect the companys reputation or business interests.
    Can you post the whole sentence please? I don't have access to to CoC right now I'm not at work. I believe this is dealing with criminal activity. Not posting on a public forum. I think that is taken out of context.

We're also trying to find where it says that you can't even say you're an employee.

Thanks.
    08-25-09 06:17 PM
    1st Thank you I was getting bored.
    2nd We Verizon reps are appear delusional? You must be delusional.
    3rd We can start threads just like anyone else. We don't trash customer's by name we share stories of our day. Much like you going home from your job at McDonald's and explaining to your coworkers a customer was rude in the drivethrough. And I have never said that are jobs are difficult. Its people like you who make it difficult. We come on here and post because we would rather do it here than have some clown come in to a store/call in.
    YOU may not trash customers by NAME, but many reps on this site are VERY disrespectful directly to customers on THIS site. There is no difference, especially in the eyes of your customers AND your employers. I can assure you if your employer was able to identify each individual from the "stupid things customers say" thread, they would go bizerk. I say these things over and over because it is only a matter of time before someone comes in here with an "i lost my job because some dumb customer figured out who i was and called my boss" thread. Why risk it? If people are saying it here you should consider listening to it. They could actually be right.... for once.
    08-25-09 06:22 PM
    YOU may not trash customers by NAME, but many reps on this site are VERY disrespectful directly to customers on THIS site. There is no difference, especially in the eyes of your customers AND your employers. I can assure you if your employer was able to identify each individual from the "stupid things customers say" thread, they would go bizerk. I say these things over and over because it is only a matter of time before someone comes in here with an "i lost my job because some dumb customer figured out who i was and called my boss" thread. Why risk it? If people are saying it here you should consider listening to it. They could actually be right.... for once.
    How could someone figure out who I am if I never post my name... Sure I work at a Utah Callcenter but look around. Anyway, I'm in the privacy of my home now so I think my job is somewhat secure. I see that there are a lot of valid posts about this however and can agree to "try" to not be rude... Thats what this is about some pissant got mad that he got flamed. I could really care less. I like posting here because I work with bb's all day. Knowing the ins and outs are a huge help, and I use the search button at least once a day.
    08-25-09 06:51 PM
    I don't like to post on that thread because anonymity goes out the window.

The chances of one of the people that ends up on that thread reading a post about themselves is... slim?
    08-25-09 06:54 PM
    I agree with that article 110%... Obviously the only reason VZW was singled out was because the person who wrote it has had probs with so called VZW employees, if they had a different service I'm sure it would be the same complaints.
    I feel as though some people on CB & other sites whether they are real employees of a service provider or not are sometimes rude & condescending just because they can.

08-25-09 07:43 PM
    That's fine.

Like others, I won't be around as much. I'll still be available via PM if someone needs me though.
    08-25-09 07:51 PM
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Blue sent you a PM if you're about...
    08-25-09 07:57 PM
    That's fine.

Like others, I won't be around as much. I'll still be available via PM if someone needs me though.
    Reps never die, they just get upgraded
    08-25-09 08:16 PM
278 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD