10-15-09 06:49 PM
55 123
tools
    I recently upgraded to a new phone at a Verizon Wireless authorized reseller. I did not like the phone, and I returned it. I did not enjoy my customer experience either. What exactly is the advantage to a customer who buys from an authorized reseller, opposed to an actual Verizon Wireless store, or the Verizon Wireless Web site?
    10-13-09 05:26 PM
    Some authorized resellers offer different deals for customers, or can offer different accessory bundles. Generally easiest to buy from the carrier directly though.
    10-13-09 05:29 PM
    They won't let u bill accessories to your account................
    At least in my area. L.A.
    10-13-09 05:42 PM
    There are some ex-CONS working in them?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-09 05:56 PM
    Sometimes the phone costs less. As for the cons, you told us that yourself.

10-13-09 05:56 PM
    Wife got a storm when they first came out for 150 thought that was pretty good
    10-13-09 06:27 PM
    yeah, i really see no advantages to it. only disadvantages. i'd encourage everyone never to buy from an "authorized reseller". verizonwireless.com offers free overnight shipping on upgrades anyway. i did not know this until after the fact.

a week or two after i upgraded at the authorized reseller, i mailed in my rebate because i liked the phone (enV touch), but then it started acting up, and i heard the storm2 was coming out a couple months later, so i tried to return it, but i couldn't get my money back because i had already sent in the rebate. i was able to return the phone, but i lost 100 bucks in the process AND my upgrade is listed online as only $50 when it should be $100. although, i contacted Verizon about that, and they said that if i got $100 credit the first time, i'd be able to get it again the second time. they just have to do it manually, which means that i'll either have to go into the store, or call customer service and order over the phone when i'd really prefer to just order it myself online.
    10-13-09 06:28 PM
    Pro - Good deal
    Con - If something goes wrong and you go back pray to whatever god you believe in they care about you.
    Pretty sure we've all heard/seen/experienced the true horror or authorized resellers.
    10-14-09 07:34 AM
    Other than the store possibly being in a convenient location to where you live, and possible discounts, I don't see any real benefit of buying from an authorized retailer. If you have any trouble at all, it's much harder to get the problem resolved. I would always always go through a corporate store.

10-14-09 08:44 AM
    There are no pro's. End of story.

If you want to count "cheaper phone" as a pro, keep in mind your "cheaper phone" probably isn't new even though you were told it was. I'd be a happy person if VZW closed all indirect/authorized agents.
    10-14-09 01:03 PM
    Pro - Good deal
    Con - If something goes wrong and you go back pray to whatever god you believe in they care about you.
    Pretty sure we've all heard/seen/experienced the true horror or authorized resellers.
    Other than the store possibly being in a convenient location to where you live, and possible discounts, I don't see any real benefit of buying from an authorized retailer. If you have any trouble at all, it's much harder to get the problem resolved. I would always always go through a corporate store.
    I can see the points, but it may depend on the retailer & even the location.

Get a phone from Walmart, BestBuy or WirelessToyz around here & have issues with it, they will take it back within a similar window. Warranty goes through VZW & manufacturer.

Some retailers will give you more than the corp stores, including more of a window to return the devices, but they can't bill your device, so have your payment ready.

There is usually a much shorter wait at retailers, but sometimes the selection of devices is reduced, too. The retailers don't have to carry all devices. The employees are generally nicer & more helpful at the retailers, compared with many of the overworked corp store people.

Just some things to keep in mind.

10-14-09 01:41 PM
    There are no pro's. End of story.

If you want to count "cheaper phone" as a pro, keep in mind your "cheaper phone" probably isn't new even though you were told it was. I'd be a happy person if VZW closed all indirect/authorized agents.
    There are a lot of pros, as indicated above.

And the phones are new in box with factory seals.

The local Wireless Toyz chain has a better BBB rating than do the local VZW Corp Stores. Costco & Sam's Club here do better by customers, too.

You shouldn't make blanket statements, as there are a lot of retailers that put the corp stores & their often shabby treatment of people to shame.
    Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 10-14-09 at 01:48 PM.
    10-14-09 01:46 PM
    Cons, all cons. I didnt read any posts but being a corporate rep and having to deal with people coming in after they have been to the authorized and its nothing but a headache. They have their own policies on returns (even though they are supposed to be on track with us) and depending on the phone you are buying you might be getting a used phone. Yes, they sell used phones which is against company policy.
    10-14-09 01:50 PM

The local Wireless Toyz chain has a better BBB rating than do the local VZW Corp Stores. Costco & Sam's Club here do better by customers, too.

You shouldn't make blanket statements, as there are a lot of retailers that put the corp stores & their often shabby treatment of people to shame.
    At the same time (depending on your area) the corporate stores make the indirect agents look like garage sales. My area to be specific, no one is happy with the agents around here but all of the corporate stores give the customers GREAT customer experiences.
    10-14-09 01:53 PM

Perhaps they are better by you, but all of the ones in my area are nothing but headaches. I'll use it as a blanket statement for all of them around me, because you're right....it is different everywhere.

Around here they're nothing but headaches and issues.....the indirect reps tick off the customer and then say "I can't do anything for you, go to a corp store". Cleaning up the mess of people who lie is not my idea of a good time.

As for the sealed boxes....I've seen quite a few phones that came as "new in the box" that had been active before. Some up to a year prior.

I know some people like them, but I'm speaking from my own personal experience.
    10-14-09 02:00 PM
    At the same time (depending on your area) the corporate stores make the indirect agents look like garage sales. My area to be specific, no one is happy with the agents around here but all of the corporate stores give the customers GREAT customer experiences.
    As I said...

but it may depend on the retailer & even the location.
    But I would wager that, in some cases - Costco, for example - VZW corp stores can't compete regardless of location. Their member service & extended customer protections are far & away better. Even BestBuy, which I despise, does better than the average VZW store - and I've been in VZW stores in every region.

For info, the corp stores may be hard to beat, but the demeanor & the corp types is often difficult to swallow.

10-14-09 02:17 PM
    I'll put this up front: I am an indirect agent.

Here are the benefits you would get for dealing with us:
    -Best protection in the industry. My company offers a protection plan for all our phones that is significantly cheaper than asurion, and you get a Brand New replacement. The upfront cost varies on the retail cost of the phone. Let's use blackberries. To protect your blackberry for 2 years, you would pay $100 up front. This covers it against everything, lost/stolen/damaged/destroyed. If something happens, you come back to one of our stores (approaching 200) and you get a brand new blackberry (the same model, or the updated model) for 39.99. You can also do 2 battery claims. $15 a pop instead of retail. Compare that to asurion ($7.99 a month, $90 deductible for a refurbished device)
    -We will explain every feature on your bill or on your phone for you. I you have a feature on your plan, you'll leave our store knowing what it is, what it does, and what it costs (if anything).
    -We don't add features to your plan without your ok.. the corp store near here puts everyone on the 44.99 BES and the Tethering plan on every blackberry, they add vcast to any phone (when the vcast was on promotion). etc. I know not every corp store is like this, but the one near here is notorious for it. They also will do next to nothing for upgrade customers.
    -No Restocking fee (providing you return both the phone and the box in Like new condition within 30 days)
    -better one on one experience

we offer the same phones (although a slightly smaller collection), the same prices (or better), and obviously the same plans. We are local, typically friendlier, and my company takes pride in hiring people who are very knowledgeable about the phones and service, so while we don't have Flextronics employees in store, we can fix a lot of common issues.

"disadvantages:"
    -Some smaller companies can be shady, but these tend not to last long (we are almost 20 years old as a company)
    -We don't have an in-house tech department, so we can't do warranty exchanges directly in store, however, we can get the warranty phone shipped to your house, and we have machines to to transfer your contacts/pictures to the new device.
    -we can't view notes on the account, so when that rep on the phone tells you he is going to note your account so you can upgrade ___ months early, we can't see it. Now, sometimes we can push these through, but sometimes we can't.
    -We don't have a payment kiosk, and the system verizon gives us to accept payments on sight charges the customer 3 dollars, but payments are posted immediately.
    -if you buy something online, you cannot return it in our store, or if you buy something at corp you can't return it here either (just you can't return stuff you buy here in a corp store)

I can tell you that at least with the customer's I've dealt with, most prefer dealing with us, both because of the things that we offer differently (the protection plan, no restocking fee, etc) and because of the service we provide to every customer.
    10-14-09 03:17 PM
    I'll put this up front: I am an indirect agent.

Here are the benefits you would get for dealing with us:
    -Best protection in the industry. My company offers a protection plan for all our phones that is significantly cheaper than asurion, and you get a Brand New replacement. The upfront cost varies on the retail cost of the phone. Let's use blackberries. To protect your blackberry for 2 years, you would pay $100 up front. This covers it against everything, lost/stolen/damaged/destroyed. If something happens, you come back to one of our stores (approaching 200) and you get a brand new blackberry (the same model, or the updated model) for 39.99. You can also do 2 battery claims. $15 a pop instead of retail. Compare that to asurion ($7.99 a month, $90 deductible for a refurbished device)
    -We will explain every feature on your bill or on your phone for you. I you have a feature on your plan, you'll leave our store knowing what it is, what it does, and what it costs (if anything).
    -We don't add features to your plan without your ok.. the corp store near here puts everyone on the 44.99 BES and the Tethering plan on every blackberry, they add vcast to any phone (when the vcast was on promotion). etc. I know not every corp store is like this, but the one near here is notorious for it. They also will do next to nothing for upgrade customers.
    -No Restocking fee (providing you return both the phone and the box in Like new condition within 30 days)
    -better one on one experience

we offer the same phones (although a slightly smaller collection), the same prices (or better), and obviously the same plans. We are local, typically friendlier, and my company takes pride in hiring people who are very knowledgeable about the phones and service, so while we don't have Flextronics employees in store, we can fix a lot of common issues.

"disadvantages:"
    -Some smaller companies can be shady, but these tend not to last long (we are almost 20 years old as a company)
    -We don't have an in-house tech department, so we can't do warranty exchanges directly in store, however, we can get the warranty phone shipped to your house, and we have machines to to transfer your contacts/pictures to the new device.
    -we can't view notes on the account, so when that rep on the phone tells you he is going to note your account so you can upgrade ___ months early, we can't see it. Now, sometimes we can push these through, but sometimes we can't.
    -We don't have a payment kiosk, and the system verizon gives us to accept payments on sight charges the customer 3 dollars, but payments are posted immediately.
    -if you buy something online, you cannot return it in our store, or if you buy something at corp you can't return it here either (just you can't return stuff you buy here in a corp store)

I can tell you that at least with the customer's I've dealt with, most prefer dealing with us, both because of the things that we offer differently (the protection plan, no restocking fee, etc) and because of the service we provide to every customer.

Please explain how your indirect agent can do the 100 dollar up front, 39.99 deductible and then issue a "brand new phone." Did your boss tell you its brand new or do you know this for sure? Do you actually pull a phone off of your shelf and issue that? Unless you do that, i will bet anything the replacements you issue are not brand new. That is a huge loss of money for a company if you really are issuing brand new devices off of your shelf.

Unless you have worked at a corporate location as well, saying that you guys offer a better 1 on 1 experience is unfair and not an accurate statement. What we do here in my area is take pride in helping the customer 100% and making sure thier instore experience is the best. NPS is a HUGE thing here in the midwest.
    10-14-09 04:07 PM
    we pull them off our shelves and hand them to the customer, new in box. And we get these phones shipped to us from Verizon not from some other location. They are the same stock we use for new customers for upgrades and new acts.

Remember, we have nearly 200 stores in 12 states.

and my statement on customer experience coming from a longtime customer myself (before I worked here) and also from our customers who deal with both our store and the corp one. NPS is huge here as well.
    10-14-09 04:34 PM
    we pull them off our shelves and hand them to the customer, new in box. And we get these phones shipped to us from Verizon not from some other location. They are the same stock we use for new customers for upgrades and new acts.

Remember, we have nearly 200 stores in 12 states.

and my statement on customer experience coming from a longtime customer myself (before I worked here) and also from our customers who deal with both our store and the corp one. NPS is huge here as well.
    Having 200 stores in 12 states just makes it more of a loss if you really are pulling brand new phones off the shelf to hand out. Is the customers contract being extended when this is done? If not, this is a HUGE loss. If you look at the simple math involved...

Retail price on a Storm is 499.99

Lets say you guys sell it at the 149.99 price point + 100 insurance. You are at 249.99. Then they lose it 1 month later and pay 39.99 to get a new one, you are now at 289.98. So Thats 2 Storms at 499.99 a piece totaling 999.98 That you guys "sold" for $289.98. Thats a 710.00 loss for the company each time it happens. Lets just say that it happens at half of your 200 stores in 1 week. Thats a $71,000.00 dollar loss for the company in 1 week. I dont believe that is how business is done at your indirect agent, sorry.
    10-14-09 04:46 PM
    Your math may be a little off. The average claim rate per location is around 15% to 20% and I assume that is the same with our entire company. You are also forgetting about the commission that is gained when the original handset is sold. That should be part of the equation. It's like any insurance / protection company, you are more protected when you sell more insurance / protection because the claim percentages gradually go down. The handsets are brand new out of the box off our shelf! Promise. If they still want protection after the initial claim they need to repurchase the protection at full cost. If the store manager feels that the individual is abusing the protection plan they can refuse to sell it - a lot like asurion limits their claims per individual per 2 year period.
    10-14-09 04:59 PM
    Your math may be a little off. The average claim rate per location is around 15% to 20% and I assume that is the same with our entire company. You are also forgetting about the commission that is gained when the original handset is sold. That should be part of the equation. It's like any insurance / protection company, you are more protected when you sell more insurance / protection because the claim percentages gradually go down. The handsets are brand new out of the box off our shelf! Promise. If they still want protection after the initial claim they need to repurchase the protection at full cost. If the store manager feels that the individual is abusing the protection plan they can refuse to sell it - a lot like asurion limits their claims per individual per 2 year period.
    My "half of the stores" math was an example. You cant exactly throw commission into the mix because being that he(you) is an indirect agent there is no way for me to know that. I used raw numbers with the phones, thats it. But ok...lets say it its a 29.99 65+ plan with the 29.99 data plan, im guessing that doesnt pay that much commission. I did work for an indirect 4 years ago before i came to the corporate side so i do have somewhat of an idea as of to how you guys get paid.

Also...making a new username to try to back up your statement looks bad Mr. 1 post.
    10-14-09 05:07 PM
    at a VZW wireless near me - i was under the impression i was buying a 'new' curve 8330..i was told it was new, it appeared new, it was sealed, etc..however, when i got home, opened it and powered up - i came to the realization that somebody had already used the phone and dl'ed facebook, etc..it seemed to be a refurb..when i went back, i had to squawk a bit to get my money back - but was eventually refunded. sketchy business.
    10-14-09 05:10 PM
    at a VZW wireless near me - i was under the impression i was buying a 'new' curve 8330..i was told it was new, it appeared new, it was sealed, etc..however, when i got home, opened it and powered up - i came to the realization that somebody had already used the phone and dl'ed facebook, etc..it seemed to be a refurb..when i went back, i had to squawk a bit to get my money back - but was eventually refunded. sketchy business.
    Facebook actually does come preloaded on BBs now. If it was a corporate store you were not sold a phone that someone had already had activated on their line. Even if someone comes in, purchases a new phone and then comes back 45 minutes later to return it, it has to be put in our bin and be shipped back to the warehouse and a "returned" phone.
    10-14-09 05:13 PM
    Having 200 stores in 12 states just makes it more of a loss if you really are pulling brand new phones off the shelf to hand out. Is the customers contract being extended when this is done?
    I believe he was referring to when someone does come in for a new phone & they are definitely taking it home with them.

It was a statement in response to a previous allegation that authorized retailers are selling used phones.
    10-14-09 05:28 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD