I'm going to be out of town for a few days in July, and I'm going to need internet access on my laptop. I'll be staying at a place that charges $10 a day to use their wifi... which is absolutely ridiculous, so I was thinking:

Could I add tethering to my line for just a few days, and take it back off and they'd prorate it? Would that work out? Because that would be about 50 cents a day, which makes quite the difference...

Also I've never tethered before; what do I need to know about doing it with a BlackBerry?
    06-30-09 06:19 PM
    Yes you can do this, but keep in mind not only is the money proated, so it the data allowance.

You will need the Desktop Manger installed, VZAcess manager connection software, or set up a DUN. Pretty much thats about all you need.
    06-30-09 06:33 PM
    The 5gb is prorated huh... so is there a way to find out how much data I've used from tethering apart from what I use directly on my BB, so I don't remove the feature and end up with overages?
    06-30-09 06:54 PM
    The 5gb is prorated huh... so is there a way to find out how much data I've used from tethering apart from what I use directly on my BB, so I don't remove the feature and end up with overages?
    No on the BB. You can check you online VZW account, or there is a monitor embedded in the VZAM software
    06-30-09 06:56 PM
    Even if you add it for the whole month to prevent going over on the prorated data, 30 bucks is cheaper than 70

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-09 07:19 PM
    That's the truth. Even if I leave it on for the whole month, I'm still saving quite a bit of money. Good to know that the Access software has a meter, I can probably still do the math on when to remove the feature. Thanks for all the info.
    06-30-09 07:40 PM
    That's a great point Jim! Good idea.
    06-30-09 09:47 PM
    You also might want to look into the tetherberry app.
    Thats a great idea! why not steal from your carrier, violate your TOS, and get slapped with a giant overage fee?
    07-01-09 07:47 PM
    Thats a great idea! why not steal from your carrier, violate your TOS, and get slapped with a giant overage fee?
    Good points, Jim - besides the theft & lack of integrity, you forgot that Tetherberry routes your traffic through a proxy server, which not only dramatically slows your performance (and increases bandwidth usage), it opens up your computer and everything you do (each and every keystroke/password/bank account/address/contact) to a company you don't know and who will refuse to recognize you when you get caught!

How is THAT for a sentence run-on?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-09 08:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD