there are 2 scenarios.....my cousin and I are both taking our Tours overseas this summer and I was wondering if someone can shed some light on each case

1) I need to access data. What do I need to do to unlock my phone and access the internet while im overseas? Do I need to change my SIM card? how much is the unlocking fee (AFAIK its free) and how much is the international data plan. Do I need to activate a voice plan to send texts?

2) my cousin just wants to be able to have the ability to send texts if necessary. Does she need to unlock her phone as well? What are the charges if she keeps her US plan and sends a text.

bonus question: If we both get our phones unlocked and I dont need to change my SIM card to get data, can I interchange SIM cards with her and have the same internet connectivity from her phone (removing the ability from my phone)

Thanks guys
    04-26-10 09:08 AM
    go to verizon and talk to them. i can tell you they will unlock the phone for free if you have a history of paying your bill on time yada yada yada. international plan is like 60 a month and then you pay out the **** for texts data and calls. in one month my bill was $750.00 and thats not cool. i cancelled it and said i don't need to text and call my family back home that badly. just unlock it and put in a sim from the country that you are in and use it locally.
    04-26-10 09:12 AM
    oh jeez, im better off just sending emails as texts to anyone i really need to speak to.

would I still need to change my SIM if I just want to use data?

will unlocking the phone change anything with my connection and speeds in the US? i was reading somewhere that after locking I wont get 3G and be stuck at 1x
    04-26-10 09:15 AM
    you will need to unlock it to use another sim card in it and no it wont affect your 3g use as long as you are using it just as you are now
    04-26-10 10:04 AM
    1) I need to access data. What do I need to do to unlock my phone and access the internet while im overseas? Do I need to change my SIM card? how much is the unlocking fee (AFAIK its free) and how much is the international data plan. Do I need to activate a voice plan to send texts?
    You can access data on your phone using VzW's SIM, its 64.99 or 69.98 depending on where you go. You can have the phone unlocked thru VzW for free ( as long as you have been a customer for at least 90 days and your account is current), however some other places may not have data for your phone. You will have to check on that. There is no voice plan to activate. You will pay per message and calls with VzW. Text is 0.50 to send and 0.05 to receive. The per minute rates depend on where you are going.

2) my cousin just wants to be able to have the ability to send texts if necessary. Does she need to unlock her phone as well? What are the charges if she keeps her US plan and sends a text.
    As long as she meets the above requirements, yes she can unlock her phone as well and use an international SIM and pay local rates for text and calls.

bonus question: If we both get our phones unlocked and I dont need to change my SIM card to get data, can I interchange SIM cards with her and have the same internet connectivity from her phone (removing the ability from my phone)

Thanks guys
    No. Because the SIM for VzW is activated and programed to your phone's MEID and IMEI, other SIM's may be swapable kinda like AT&T and T-Mo, but I am not sure.

Bonus Answer: Keep in mind, if you do use another SIM from another country and you are given a local international number to use, the people you call and text will now have to pay international long distance to talk and text you and your cousin.
    Last edited by supermario28; 04-26-10 at 11:05 AM.
    04-26-10 11:03 AM
    I've traveled overseas with my phone before - you DO NOT want to use your home SIM card. It costs a fortune.

I just pop in a prepaid SIM card from whatever country I am in, and I get by. Will I have all of the regular functions of the phone in terms of data - no, but with wifi and the like, you can get your phone to do most things you'll need it to do - without it costing you a fortune.
    04-26-10 11:06 AM
    Oh and you can call Global Services at 1-800-711-5300, they can help you with all this too.
    04-26-10 11:07 AM
    thanks guys, really appreciate it.
    04-26-10 11:09 AM
    I've traveled overseas with my phone before - you DO NOT want to use your home SIM card. It costs a fortune.

I just pop in a prepaid SIM card from whatever country I am in, and I get by. Will I have all of the regular functions of the phone in terms of data - no, but with wifi and the like, you can get your phone to do most things you'll need it to do - without it costing you a fortune.
    from what I understand, the prepaid sims in other countries only handle voice. I have read somewhere here that there are SIM cards that do voice and data but I never seen it. As far as I know, data is something you will have to access through Global Support for an international data plan ($64.99 MO). If its a CDMA country, be very careful as you will get a per kb charge when data is pushed through the device regardless of whether you set up an int. plan or not (e.g. when device fetches e-mails)

I recently went to Canada (CDMA country). I paid for the int. data plan per day which was $8 in total for the week I was in Ontario & Toronto. I was charged roaming for the voice calls and texts if I was roaming on Rogers.

In a GSM country, the true benefit of an unlocked phone and a pre paid sim card is that your able to make local calls from within that country's cellular network at a local rate verses roaming rates with verizon. Only downfall to it is that people who call you from within the states will have to call long distance.

Youmail and google voice is great in the sense that you use data to access your voicemail so you won't have to call in just to listen to them. Plus, people only need to call your reg phone # to leave a msg on your youmail or google voice account. On your int. data plan, it would be free to check those messages and then you decide whether its important enough for a costly callback.

Also, skype only works off of verizons network and google voice cannot forward calls to an international # like a prepaid SIM card.
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 04-27-10 at 08:30 PM.
    04-27-10 08:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD