Ok, so I was an Alltel customer and had a Blackberry Curve 8330, Alltel plan, and on Verizon's network.

I work from home and use my cell phone extensively for conference calls, etc etc.

I never had any issues with reception, I constantly got 4 bars, sometimes 3.

I recently got a Storm 1, kept my Alltel plan....nothing else changed but the phone...and I'm having major issues with reception.

most of the time I have 4 bars.....and all is well, however it randomly drops to 0, 1, or 2 bars......and the voice signal gets very broken up, I'll briefly lose data connection if I have it going, then comes back.

This is a major problem as it's causing issues and I'm not able to hear people on conferences and such.

Have the storm 1's had any issues with reception?

Should I look to a new phone? I'm still in my 30 days...I can't continue like this.

My phone also resets every afternoon, never at the same time (and overnight sometimes too I think, hard to tell).

arggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    11-13-09 11:59 PM
    I would recommend you take the phone back to the store and have it swapped for another one. I had the Storm1 and did not have reception issues. You also may want to go to your options and select mobile network and put on 1xEV instead of Global. Another thing I would recommend would be to do a *228 option 2 on your phone. Just some ideas.
    11-14-09 12:05 AM
    What OS are you running????
    11-14-09 12:05 AM
    I would recommend you take the phone back to the store and have it swapped for another one. I had the Storm1 and did not have reception issues. You also may want to go to your options and select mobile network and put on 1xEV instead of Global. Another thing I would recommend would be to do a *228 option 2 on your phone. Just some ideas.
    did both of these already

I'm running the latest official version

I've heard people talk about losing sprint towers in the conversion, that anything possibly related?

I'm running the latest OS version.

I also am hesitant to return it, because won't it be swapped with a refurb???
    11-14-09 12:12 AM
    Not within 30 days

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-09 07:50 AM
    Call VZW and make sure you have a Hyrbrid PRL for your device. Depending on your area, this might need to be pushed to the phone.
    11-14-09 08:40 AM
    Call VZW and make sure you have a Hyrbrid PRL for your device. Depending on your area, this might need to be pushed to the phone.
    OP states he kept his Alltel plan. What is the benefit of the hybrid PRL in this case? I thought the hybrids were for VZW plans to prefer Alltel towers.

11-14-09 08:46 AM
    OP states he kept his Alltel plan. What is the benefit of the hybrid PRL in this case? I thought the hybrids were for VZW plans to prefer Alltel towers.

Yes but he has VZW equipment. This will help the device see the Alltel towers better. Once converted over VZW pricing, he will no longer need the hybrid.
    11-14-09 08:57 AM
    Thanks for the input. I have a VZW device as well and the hybrid made no difference in my case. I wish it had. A signal amp was the only cure for the weak signal.

In regards to the hybrid...is there ever an update available?

11-14-09 09:03 AM
    From what I have heard, if you do the *228 opt 2 after having a hybrid, it will convert back to to a VZW PRL. I have heard that if there is an update, that they can push it to the device.
    11-14-09 09:06 AM
    From what I have heard, if you do the *228 opt 2 after having a hybrid, it will convert back to to a VZW PRL. I have heard that if there is an update, that they can push it to the device.
    I was told the same after I was pushed the hybrid. I called tech support recently and inquired about updating the hybrid. The girl in Boise said do a *228 opt 1 and it would update the hybrid and it gave me the lastest Alltel PRL instead. As far as I can tell, there is no difference in reception for my situation.

11-14-09 09:20 AM
    Did you have have a VZW prior to the update? If so and neither PRL is working better for you, normal trouble shooting and possible escalation maybe in order. Now I do not all the info required to fully know all the variables for your situation. i.e. coverage for your area, tower locations, topography, etc.

Wish I could help more.
    11-14-09 09:29 AM
    Did you have have a VZW prior to the update? If so and neither PRL is working better for you, normal trouble shooting and possible escalation maybe in order. Now I do not all the info required to fully know all the variables for your situation. i.e. coverage for your area, tower locations, topography, etc.

Wish I could help more.
    Thanks. I invested a lot of time and effort in dealing with my situation and so has VZW. I spent most of the summer in NC and had no issues. It is my home in FL where I really have a problem and I finally fixed it by installing a zBoost device.

11-14-09 09:57 AM
    If he is on an Alltel rate plan then he wouldn't need the hybrid because he would already be using the Alltel prl. When a customer switches to vzw pricing and device is when it would normally be pushed.

11-14-09 10:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD