When I upgraded one of my phones I also had to upgrade my plan.

I went from the old school, $60 for initial charge family plan to the select plan. I was told this plan would be reset so that it would be as if I was on my current plan started December 23.

At the time, one of the users of my plan was already over their texting limit. They had spent 350 out of their 250 limit midway through the month.

So the bill comes in...

And this user is charged $25 for text overuse. It appears they did not make the new plan begin on 12/23, but on 1/08 when I bought the phone.

Not only that, but they took $2.50 off the bill on the $5 initial texting plan, meaning the "txt allowance" was much lower than 250.

What can I do????

To summarize:

Old plan $5 texting, sent 100 too many by plan upgrade date.
    Was told new unlimited plan would be prorated back to 12/23.
    Got $2.50 refund for the old $5 text plan after upgrading midway through month.
    This lowered the "allowance" on the first half texting to 140, meaning it was 240 over and a huge charge of $24 in text overuse...
    02-02-09 03:17 PM
    I actually went through the same thing today. I upgraded my plan today on the internet to a higher minute amount. I checked the agreement with the pro-ration and went on with the change in minutes. I noticed that my online account had not updated my minutes so I decided to call their support line to see when the minutes would changeover. The lady on the line then made me aware that I would be charged $145 in overages; since I had made the change in overages in the middle of the month, and since I had agreed to the pro-ration online she could not rollback the minutes and she could not put me back on my original plan since I had agreed to the pro-ration. She did however agree to give me a 25% discount of the charge on my bill. At that point I just took what she said and let it be at that.

A few hours and a power nap later, I am still so extremely angry I decided I would call back to see if there was another person who could fix this issue for me. I went over what had happened with the second lady and she said the exact same thing the previous lady had but this time I have a supervisor calling me back. I will keep you guys updated once I speak to the supervisor. I may canceling my service. I sure was looking forward to buying that Storm.

Following suit of jetman
    To Summarize:
    Never change your plan online because it does not tell you the exact amount you will be charged on overages.
    Always call customer care when wanting to change your plan.
    02-02-09 04:48 PM

Following suit of jetman
    To Summarize:
    Never change your plan online because it does not tell you the exact amount you will be charged on overages.
    Always call customer care when wanting to change your plan.
    I had it changed in the store and it still happened...all they are doing at the store is accessing the online account anyway

Let me know how it goes, I'd be interested in the result.
    02-02-09 04:58 PM
    If the store rep said your account was supposed to be back dated you can always try calling CS and see if they are able/willing to help you and adjust the charges, or go into the store.

As for the plan changes, either try to do them as close to end/beginning of your cycle or call CS or go into a store. I used to work in CS and a lot of people didn't understand proration; they just figured it reduced what they were charged but didn't have any effect on their minutes/txts/whatever was changed. Just remember, you get what you pay for. If you are only paying for 15 days worth of service you are only going to get 15 days worth of minutes. . .sadly sometimes this means you have overage charges (which is why going to the store or calling CS can be good cuz they should be able to figure what minutes you will be alloted for the old and new plan and what your usage is to see if there will be overage, thus helping decide if switching now or later is best).
    02-04-09 06:11 PM
    Stores don't backdate.

If you ever go online and make changes the end result is yours even if you get prorated overage.

Stores can't backdate, so they always do an on demand change. I would go to the store and ask them to make it right. CS most likely will tell you to go there.
    02-04-09 06:28 PM
    Stores don't backdate.

If you ever go online and make changes the end result is yours even if you get prorated overage.

Stores can't backdate, so they always do an on demand change. I would go to the store and ask them to make it right. CS most likely will tell you to go there.
    Stores can and do backdate. The only time I don't backdate is if a customer requests the change to be on-demand or if there is a feature/service that can't be backdated for whatever reason...for example, if a customer is upgrading to a blackberry and moving to an email plan, but they had a standard handset before, then the plan can't be backdate because it is imcompatible with a standard handset.
    02-04-09 08:20 PM
    Don't do it online. Call in, and if you can, have it (the change) go into affect at the beginning of the bill cycle.
    Being billed a month in advance, any changes in the middle of the bill cycle will always pro-rate your usage as well as your plan cost.
    Just call into customer service, and state that you were told, by the store that this would be back dated. They will credit back the overage.
    Last edited by chalupacabra; 02-04-09 at 08:31 PM.
    02-04-09 08:29 PM
    A plan CAN NOT be backdated if the changes are made while the rep is upgrading a device. For the back date to have occurred the rep would have to of changed the plans first w/ the back date in place....then upgraded the phone on another order. But as some of the other posts say, just call CS and see what they can do.
    02-04-09 08:47 PM
    So an update. I have not officially heard from that manager that was supposed to call me back in 24-72 hours (I figured as much). We did talk to another VZ rep and they said there would be no charges and that she would take care of it if there were charges. So now I have my Storm in hand and looks like the 3rd rep could take care of the charges. The lesson I should've known since I work in a call center, call until you get that one person who can get the ball rolling for you.

I will update once the bill is posted and let you guys know if the charges are taken care of for sure.
    02-08-09 04:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD