Not sure if this has been posted, I'm almost sure it has. Someone sent me a link from another web site that mentioned how Verizon uses information from calls, data usage, etc. and at some level shares this information with others. Granted, I don't think it is specific to the actual phone numbers we have, but anyone who doesn't want to participate should change their settings on their Verizon account.

Here is a link as to how the data collection is described.

Customer Proprietary Network Information (CPNI) for Consumers

Here is a screenshot of where to make changes in your account settings. I personally like anonymity and privacy, which is why I am advocating this option. For anyone interested, just use the information below to change the settings for your account.
    03-18-09 03:28 PM
    You can also call up and request CPNI opt out. We would never sell your phone number, email address, etc to anyone. Verizon actually declined to enter it's customers into a mobile phone # directory when it was bring proposed.
    03-18-09 03:34 PM
    VZW is probably the most protective of all carriers. This protective attitude is reflected in many of their product/service offerings & configurations.

I'd be more concerned with privacy issues with your bank, credit card issuer or some local utilities. I'd most definitely be concerned doing business with some of the competing carriers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-09 03:51 PM
    Yeah I hear some credit card companies actually track what you buy and sell that information to companies so they can mail you things regarding what you buy.
    03-18-09 03:53 PM
    You can also call up and request CPNI opt out. We would never sell your phone number, email address, etc to anyone. Verizon actually declined to enter it's customers into a mobile phone # directory when it was bring proposed.
    The problem with this system, just like all the others is, it's an Opt Out system where it should be an Opt In system. And I was going to post the phone number, but online is quick, painless and can be done 24/7. :thumb:
    03-18-09 03:57 PM
    Yeah I hear some credit card companies actually track what you buy and sell that information to companies so they can mail you things regarding what you buy.
    Exactly, as can your bank & even the credit reporting agencies. VZW uses theirs primarily for internal use (like whether to offer early upgrades) and anything external is with data that doesn't include any personal info.

Opt out & you may miss out on VZW offers & specials.

03-18-09 04:19 PM
    Exactly, as can your bank & even the credit reporting agencies. VZW uses theirs primarily for internal use (like whether to offer early upgrades) and anything external is with data that doesn't include any personal info.

Opt out & you may miss out on VZW offers & specials.

Great. Post the link that will allow people to opt out of the credit card tracking whenever you get it, seriously. I'm not personally aware of that option so if it's available, I'd be more than happy to do it. And don't fool yourself, Verizon can and probably does something similar as the credit card companies as stated in the link I posted earler.

Q1. What is CPNI?

A. Customer Proprietary Network Information (CPNI) is information created by virtue of your relationship with Verizon Wireless. This information includes: services purchased (including specific calls you make and receive)...

This opt out option is something that people can do now if they so choose. I don't care if Verizon would defend our information to the death, I would like not to share it as would I'm sure others who will see the thread. I'm not here to argue Verion's stance on personal data and I'm not saying they are giving it away with our phone numbers and addresses, I'm simply acknowledging a way for people to choose not to share information related to their usage habits.
    03-18-09 04:40 PM
    We use the information so when you're eligible for upgrade and you're using a storm we don't send you our free phones. Rather we send you our current PDA offerings.
    03-18-09 04:48 PM
    I would like not to share it as would I'm sure others who will see the thread. I'm not here to argue Verion's stance on personal data and I'm not saying they are giving it away with our phone numbers and addresses, I'm simply acknowledging a way for people to choose not to share information related to their usage habits.
    And we understand your point. It's just that this same info gets posted multiple times per month and often it seems that there is an underlying slam on VZW, without the recognition that most companies are far worse in the privacy arena.

VZW has done things, time & time again, that demonstrate they fight to keep private info private. The disclaimer on CPNI is standard stuff. I can find similar wording on Qwest, Frontier, USCellular, AT&T & VZW sites, as well as banks & more.

VZW provides me the opt-out info several times per year in mailings to me.

So if this info is hashed, rehashed, posted, reposted & freely advertised by VZW, what is your point? Is it restarting a witch hunt or did you simply want to get fresh credit for an old topic?

As we so often say on message boards, search is your friend. And, in truth, perception is often more potent than reality. So bad perceptions can create a potently bad reality in people's mind, and for what? You make few friends doing this kind of repetitive nonsense.

03-18-09 06:24 PM
    People get so worked up about this.....

The data is used to allow Verizon Communication to let you know you can sign up for OneBill or get discounts.
    VZW is the only carrier I've seen spend their own money suing spammers and scammers and then donate the proceeds to charity. If they wanted to sell your info they would have done it years ago.

03-18-09 06:42 PM
    Too funny this forum in a way (Yoda Voice). There are SO! many ways to get your personal info out there today. And you worry VZW selling it? Big deal if someone finds out you call KMART 5 times a day. We need to sorry about people getting infomation that is way more damaging to you

just my humble opionion
    03-18-09 06:46 PM

The data is used to allow Verizon Communication to let you know you can sign up for OneBill or get discounts.
    VZW is the only carrier I've seen spend their own money suing spammers and scammers and then donate the proceeds to charity. If they wanted to sell your info they would have done it years ago.

^^^ This....
    03-18-09 06:46 PM

So if this info is hashed, rehashed, posted, reposted & freely advertised by VZW, what is your point? Is it restarting a witch hunt or did you simply want to get fresh credit for an old topic?

As we so often say on message boards, search is your friend. And, in truth, perception is often more potent than reality. So bad perceptions can create a potently bad reality in people's mind, and for what? You make few friends doing this kind of repetitive nonsense.

Well I have not heard about this until today, which is why I posted it. I haven't seen it posted ever or rehashed anywhere, so it's something new to me and potentially others who haven't heard or read about it. My family has 3 phones with Verizon and I'm happy with the service, so it is in no way to bash Verizon or any carrier for that matter.

Thanks for the advice on search, I found one topic. And I should have and usually do, but just didn't feel like it today. And to be quite frank, don't assume you know anything about who I am or what my intentions are. I don't just randomly post on this board just to post. I have the occasional sarcasm and pointless post because I have an opinion about something. But for this, as I saw it, I wanted to post for users who would be interested in opting out of the information sharing they were opted into when they agreed to do business with Verizon.

but anyone who doesn't want to participate should change their settings on their Verizon account.
    That is the main reason I posted the thread and posted this:

For anyone interested, just use the information below to change the settings for your account.
    to let anyone interested know how they could change it. You're not interested, so it doesn't apply to you. Had I made a big deal about Verizon selling information and using things against us, I can see your reasoning to defend Verizon and make a case. The information I provided was factual and non-biased, plain and simple. Even more to the point, I posted the link for ALL the details regarding what I was referring to, not just the steps on how to opt out.

What's really sad is you guys are making a bigger deal about it than I did with my original post or any other post I made. I initially posted something for people who don't want to share whatever information, a way to keep from doing so. I followed up with a response regarding my opinion on Opt In/Opt Out systems, totally unrelated to Verizon in terms of their responsibility. My last post did havecomments and requests asking for potential ways to opt out of stuff like credit card information sharing, legitimate and how they use the numbers that you call.

If you don't want to opt out don't. For those who do, then they can and have a way to do so.
    03-18-09 07:31 PM

Agreed - they do get worked up over it for all the wrong reasons and, to me, illustrates some basic ignorance. At the very least, I am suspicious of the motives behind bringing this sort of thing up, especially when the whole picture isn't pointed out.

A more believable post would be of a link or links to respected privacy adcocacy sites - the kinds that have links to many company's privacy info & opt-out processes.

To come into the VZW forum sounding like everyone should immediately jump to the VZW site to opt out of this "evil company's anti-privacy ways" smacks of an anti-VZW effort, especially when VZW is one of the biggest privacy champions in the corporate world - something these posters conveniently forget to post with their supposed "good-will" notices.

03-18-09 07:33 PM
    Please provide the quote that REMOTELTY gives notion to anything you just said in the last paragraph. Again more evidence you guys are making a bigger deal of this. The only responses so far that have been respectable were those of the second person to post.

03-18-09 07:57 PM
    I'm not trying to be disrespectful. I understand why you would post this, despite it being posted before, I don't know why Twin is jumping on you. (Calm down twin!).

I can understand why some people would want to opt and some don't care. It's personal preference IMO.
    03-18-09 08:10 PM
    Well I have not heard about this until today, which is why I posted it. I haven't seen it posted ever or rehashed anywhere, so it's something new to me and potentially others who haven't heard or read about it.
    Please provide the quote that REMOTELTY gives notion to anything you just said in the last paragraph. Again more evidence you guys are making a bigger deal of this. The only responses so far that have been respectable were those of the second person to post.
    Opt Out of the Verizon Personal Data Giveaway

Is anyone else sick of being raped by Verizon?

There's two - both posted to in the past day and available with a simple search - one is specifically about this topic & the other includes this topic many times. There are hundreds more where the link & information were brought up within other posts, not only in the VZW forum, but in nearly every CB forum.

As I said, search is your friend.

Granted, I took a bit of a generalization with you without explanation and for that, I apologize. I wasn't necessarily pointing a finger at you as being one of the troublemakers, but with all of the traffic lately from the anti-VZW crowd, we're all getting a bit weary & suspicious.

It'd be nice to get back to simply explaining features or discussing products again.
    Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 03-18-09 at 08:17 PM.
    03-18-09 08:13 PM
    One more comment, since it is so hard to shut me up.

The greatest threat to privacy is Google.

Remember that.

03-19-09 05:01 PM
    One more comment, since it is so hard to shut me up.

The greatest threat to privacy is Google.

Remember that.

So, where is the link to opt out of Google?
    03-19-09 07:44 PM
    You don't use the crap and you use your firewall/malware software to block Google ads.

I have been at the ready to tell anyone about the evils of Google and even Wikipedia. Yet those who cry out about privacy issues regularly rely on both.

03-19-09 08:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD