I am a prior happy Alltel customer that is now a frustrated Verizon customer. I am curious if there is any more of us out there having the same issues that I am since the change a few months ago........I've noticed ever since the change over, my internet service is horrendous. I works about 50% of the time, often giving "connectivity" errors. When it loads its brutally slow and often disconnects. Never had issues like this before. Hints?
    Yes I have done PRL updates, no difference. I am running 4.5.0.165 on my dinosaur...but like I said, this is all new as of the last 3 months that I got stuck with the red machine and worked brilliantly prior.
    Thanks!

Edit: My primary internet browser is Bolt (personal preference), but have found that trying to use the native browser now is futile, it doesn't load at all.
    01-06-10 07:30 PM
    Could it be caused by the OS? I am pretty sure there is no offical release version of 4.5 for an 8703. You have said that you updated your PRL, have you doen a reg now for new service books?
    01-06-10 07:36 PM
    Had the OS long before the switch over, actually sped it up...what is "reg now for new service books"?
    01-06-10 07:45 PM
    option>advanced options>host routing table>menu>reg now
    01-06-10 07:47 PM
    option>advanced options>host routing table>menu>reg now
    I have a 8703e and that schematic pathway doesn't exist....i did a "wireless update" but it said no updates were available. Would requesting new service books help? Not sure what they do, or how to do so, but I've seen it here every once in a while!
    01-06-10 07:50 PM
    Service books are a set of instructions on how the device works, give me a few and I will find the pathing.
    01-06-10 08:00 PM
    I did a trusty crackberry search and found how to request service books! Thanks. Now if it helps or not is to be seen.....
    01-06-10 08:03 PM
    Here is the pathing for the register now for each software version current and past

To register a BlackBerry smartphone over the wireless network, complete the following steps:

On the Home screen, go to Options, or click Settings > Options.
    Note: The location of the Options screen depends on the BlackBerry Device Software and theme you are running on your BlackBerry smartphone.

Complete the step associated with the BlackBerry Device Software version you are running:
    If you are running BlackBerry Device Software 4.1 to 5.0, click Advanced Options > Host Routing Table.
    If you are running BlackBerry Device Software 3.7.1 to 4.0.2, click Host Routing Table.
    If you are running BlackBerry Device Software 3.0 to 3.7, click Network.
    If you are running BlackBerry Device Software 2.0 to 2.7, click Network Settings.
    Note: Some BlackBerry smartphone users running BlackBerry Device Software 3.7.1 might find the Register Now option on the Network screen menu.

Display the menu and click Register Now. Your BlackBerry smartphone connects to the wireless network.
    01-06-10 08:04 PM
    Ok, did all that now getting "no internet available"....good grief.
    01-06-10 08:20 PM
    Are you inside or outside? does it work any better outside?

I would also try backing up the deivce, wiping it and see if works better beofre restoring the back up. If does restore and if it happens again, then there is a corruption of something on the device.

If none of this works, I would call VZW and report it. They will most likley do a trouble ticket (maybe, unless they find out you do not have an approved OS) and send out system performance to look at the towers.
    01-06-10 08:33 PM
    Are you inside or outside? does it work any better outside?

I would also try backing up the deivce, wiping it and see if works better beofre restoring the back up. If does restore and if it happens again, then there is a corruption of something on the device.

If none of this works, I would call VZW and report it. They will most likley do a trouble ticket (maybe, unless they find out you do not have an approved OS) and send out system performance to look at the towers.
    Thanks for all your input, works identically indoors and out here at home. Guess I'll just have to grin and bare it, off to Sprint in a couple weeks anyhow. Oh how I miss Alltel...
    01-06-10 08:44 PM
    Quit your griping, you som *****, there ain't no way, no how, that you come from my loins.

lol, really man, I had the same problems when they first took over, you might try getting a new phone or possible going to Sprint, its up to you, I personally waited it out and my stuff works fine now
    01-06-10 08:50 PM
    Quit your griping, you som *****, there ain't no way, no how, that you come from my loins.

lol, really man, I had the same problems when they first took over, you might try getting a new phone or possible going to Sprint, its up to you, I personally waited it out and my stuff works fine now
    Slow down on that car wash boys....

Glad to see I'm not the only one. Thought about changing phones but I really don't wanna be stuck with VZW any longer than I have to (new contract), or buying a used phone somewhere will be the same cost as getting a new one anyhow.
    01-06-10 08:58 PM
    awww, why did you change it? I like Buford T. Justice

but here is what I would do, I would get a new device and see if it works, if it doesnt, you can return it within 30 days and go to Sprint

I mean its up to you, but thats what I would do
    01-06-10 10:08 PM
    I mean, I do still miss Alltel and I think the merger is stupid, but it is what it is and Verizon is a **** of a lot better than AT&T and Sprint where I live
    01-06-10 10:10 PM
    I have the same problems with my 8330. Very slow internet on the bb browser, but faster on Opera.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-10 11:16 PM
    I hear a lot of former alltel customers complain, but never so much about connection issues on a blackberry. I would say it is a phone issue. Especially if it happens everywhere.

01-06-10 11:17 PM
    ALL BECAUSE OF THE CONVERSION...

Get rid of that phone, its an antique...

Guaranteed, Verizon phone, Verizon plan, you're up and running with no issues...
    01-06-10 11:54 PM
    I mean, I do still miss Alltel and I think the merger is stupid, but it is what it is and Verizon is a **** of a lot better than AT&T and Sprint where I live
    I'll agree the merger bummed me out! I found that Sprint has the same coverage for ME in my area and travels, so its gonna be a no brainer....just add to the artilery in convincing the misses to switch! Not that I need it, she's not a VZW fan anyways....
    01-07-10 06:13 AM
    I hear a lot of former alltel customers complain, but never so much about connection issues on a blackberry. I would say it is a phone issue. Especially if it happens everywhere.

Like I said, happened after the switch in my area went down...coincidence, quite possibly...not gonna spent my time trying to figure it out though.
    01-07-10 06:14 AM
    ALL BECAUSE OF THE CONVERSION...

Get rid of that phone, its an antique...

Guaranteed, Verizon phone, Verizon plan, you're up and running with no issues...
    No doubt, but not worth the cash to stay. Found that for the exact monthly bill (109.99), I stay with VZW with one BB and one dumbphone with 700 minutes or switch to Sprint with two BBs and 1500 minutes with unlimited cell-to-cell...no brainer. Why pay more for less?

On a side note, love the 8703! Old, antiqued;sure, but takes a beating in my line of work, got plenty of battle scars. Actually nervous how the 9630 is gonna hold up for me!
    01-07-10 06:21 AM
    If Sprint offers the same service it makes sense, though Verizon should be able to resolve your issue...
    01-07-10 12:02 PM
    [QUOTE=HorizonStar;4450013]No doubt, but not worth the cash to stay. Found that for the exact monthly bill (109.99), I stay with VZW with one BB and one dumbphone with 700 minutes or switch to Sprint with two BBs and 1500 minutes with unlimited cell-to-cell...no brainer. Why pay more for less?

I am no fan of VZW as a company but, unfortunately (depending on how you look at it) they have the best all around network, and this is why I have stuck it out. Finally, in the past few weeks, tower convergence was completed where I live in Florida and I now have a great signal at home again. One day I woke up, had 5 bars and a new PRL.

As for "Why pay more for less?"....the answer is that you usually get what you pay for. A friend of mine in the construction business recently switched 12 mobile devices from VZW to Sprint. Looked like a great idea...saving all that money and getting some Curves along with the deal. However, reliable communications in the field was an immediate problem with Sprint and my friend was quickly back to the dreaded but reliable Big Red.

Approach with caution. You can keep your Alltel plan and have a VZW device. You lose a few VZW features but nothing that I have not found a work around for. Good luck with whatever path you decide to take but don't burn any bridges. I would test out a Sprint device for reliability before cancelling the Alltel plan because once you cancel it, you can't get it back.
    01-07-10 04:26 PM
    I had a similar issue with the merger. Before it occurred, I actually switched to VZW because they gave me a sweet deal on the phones. I first got the Curve. Within 30 days, I switched to the Tour. I had horrible receptions issues with the Tour and maybe I did with the Curve (can't remember). I went through 3 Tour's and about a half dozen PRL hybrid pushs. They said I was still accessing the Alltel towers for some reason. They then put a block on my account to block my phone from accessing the Alltel towers. Worked great in one area where I work, but horrible everywhere else.
    Finally upgraded me to the Droid for free and now my reception is a whole lot better. Will get even better when they convert all the towers over.

I would complain until they help you out to your satisfaction. They did offer to let me out of my contract for free (just signed 2 year extension), but I declined. Most people I know are on VZW.
    01-07-10 04:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD