I received 3 Premium Text messages from an unknown 3rd party. Each text cost me $9.99 a piece. I have no idea how the charges appeared on my bill. I Emailed Verizon, but they're acting as though it's not their problem. Has anyone had the same issue? If so, were you able to get credit for the mysterious text messages?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-09 12:21 PM
    you need to contact Verizon customer service and explain that you didnt subscribe to the premium text and they can research it and have you contact the company who is billing you for them...

the company thats charging you for them is the one responsible for crediting you
    07-06-09 12:47 PM
    Same exact thing happened to me last week! I had 2 messages and got charged $20. I called and the FINALLY took the charges off.

Also had them put a premium text block on my Storm.
    07-06-09 01:28 PM
    Just quit trying to text those 1 900 numbers lol

07-06-09 01:33 PM
    on your bill it shows the "short number text" number ie..54345

That is the number that was texted from the phone. There are various different ones from voting for TV show type things to "daily horoscopes" from a 3rd party company. When those commericals come on late at night there is fine print at the bottom of the screen telling you how much each carrier charges for thier subscription. We now have the ability to block those type of texts. As far as credits go, it will be up to the CSR, most likely you will get a 1 time courtesy credit.
    07-06-09 01:38 PM
    It is illegal for them to just start charging you. You did SOMETHING. You signed up for horoscopes, weather alerts, IQ tests, you voted in something, you signed up for sport scores, ring tones, love alerts. Whatever it is. No one ever signs up for these things but mysteriously they're on the bills. I've never had them on mine. You need to read the fine print before you text any 5/6 digit # on TV or before you put your phone # into something online.
    07-06-09 01:46 PM
    And it is for outgoing texts - they are not incoming.

So it is something YOU initiated.

07-06-09 03:38 PM
    a verizon cs rep told me to reply to next one i received and to put "stop" in the subject line...'havent had one since
    07-06-09 05:16 PM
    on your bill it shows the "short number text" number ie..54345

That is the number that was texted from the phone. There are various different ones from voting for TV show type things to "daily horoscopes" from a 3rd party company. When those commericals come on late at night there is fine print at the bottom of the screen telling you how much each carrier charges for thier subscription. We now have the ability to block those type of texts. As far as credits go, it will be up to the CSR, most likely you will get a 1 time courtesy credit.
    By looking at my statement, all 3 text messages are stamped with the same time. They are from 3 different vendors I assume. The numbers are 89623, 69097, and 26451. When doing a search on google it brings up a website where hundreds of people are having the same thing happen to them.

Mobile Messenger Americas, Inc. Mobile Content Settlement | Cell Phone Bill Complaints
    07-06-09 05:42 PM
    By looking at my statement, all 3 text messages are stamped with the same time. They are from 3 different vendors I assume. The numbers are 89623, 69097, and 26451. When doing a search on google it brings up a website where hundreds of people are having the same thing happen to them.

Mobile Messenger Americas, Inc. Mobile Content Settlement | Cell Phone Bill Complaints

The reason why everyone says "I didn't sign up for this" is because it's in the fine print on somewebsite or contest or something you signed up for. Unless you pay close attention you do not realize what you're doing. The Attorney General would get very upset if the company was just randomly picking bills and charging people.
    07-06-09 05:57 PM
    Another thing to watch out for are websites promising content for your phone, such as ringtones. Many of them will not let you browse the site unless you enter your cellphone number, resulting in becoming subscribed.

For what it's worth, premium message companies engage in some of the sneakiest, slimiest ways of getting people signed up that I can think of. However, we can't really just say "screw it, no more of these", because there's also tons of free and legit ones out there, such as news stations having their viewers vote on current events, or soda-company promotions. :P It'd be a censorship issue, so really, the best thing to do is just educate people.
    07-06-09 06:26 PM
    My sister did some stupid IQ test, typed in her cellphone number, and did not respond with stop till month number two so we got charged two wonderful months of 9.99 each. I was hoping we could get a reversal on one month but apparently my sister's stupidity is not cause for a charge reversal lol.

Oh, and she never found out what her IQ is.

07-06-09 09:24 PM
    I had one of these on my bill a few months back. I was sure it had to be a mistake, but then I found out that one of the people on my plan was taking an IQ test on facebook and had to enter a cell number which he did...and I ended up with a 9.99 subscription. They don't just happen...somebody signed up for them.

07-06-09 09:47 PM
    One of my other lines had the car warrenty calls . I never use that number for anything. Sometimes these companys just pick random numbers so it's not always the cell phone owners fault.
    07-06-09 09:52 PM
    One of my other lines had the car warrenty calls . I never use that number for anything. Sometimes these companys just pick random numbers so it's not always the cell phone owners fault.
    Car warranty telemarketing calls & subscription premium billing charges are two different things. Carriers will not bill unless there was a recorded subscription call originating from the device.

07-06-09 10:42 PM
    As stated from others on here, it is a subscription-based service that HAS to be signed up for in some way or another.

As mentioned above, they can be really shady with how people get signed up.

I will give you the information to cancel the subscription and contact the company. I will not give credits for it. Sorry, but it's not VZW's obligation to make sure of what you sign up for, wittingly or not. Especially if it was for more than one month.

The best is when people call in and they have premium text/VZ Navigator/insert service of your choice on their account for months and claim "They JUST noticed it". And scream at you for a credit. Ain't happening, jack.

Not our responsibility to watch YOUR bills.
    07-06-09 11:45 PM
    However, once a Premium Text Messaging block is put in place by VZW on the phone, the charges will stop, correct?
    07-06-09 11:56 PM
    The best is when people call in and they have premium text/VZ Navigator/insert service of your choice on their account for months and claim "They JUST noticed it". And scream at you for a credit. Ain't happening, jack.

Not our responsibility to watch YOUR bills.
    However, it is your responsibility to ensure that the services requested when you call CS to change things on your account are executed properly.

On my family share, one of the 8830's was going to Italy so I called to have the BIS Service changed to International BB Service. Easy, changed, done.

Upon return, I called to have that service removed, and said *twice* to have BIS put back on the plan, and I even said "not the enterprise plan". When I got the next bill, I had been prorated for the Enterprise Plan and was charged for 45 or so days. So I called Customer Service back, said that the wrong Blackberry plan was re-added to the 8830, and they credited me the money and put BIS back on. No harm, no foul, got the credit, all is fine.

However, on the same line, the next month (last month's bill), I was charged for enhanced voicemail on that same 8830. Again, I had not requested that at ALL and never had it on that line (or ever, on any line, for that matter). So I called again, and got the credit no problem.

This is not to counter what you are saying about the premium texts. However, you say it's our responsibility to check our bill ... fine ... but first and foremost, when the customer is clear about what service, the correct one should be added (or re-added, as the case may be). I will say, that's the first time that happened, it was just odd that the wrong service got added two CS calls in a row.

On the same note, I prefer to make ALL changes that I can on My Verizon, much easier to have it in writing, and to see exactly what you're getting. Why can't the Global E-mail plans or tethering be added or changed on My Verizon?
    07-08-09 01:44 PM
    However, once a Premium Text Messaging block is put in place by VZW on the phone, the charges will stop, correct?
    Yes blocking does cancel subscriptions.
    07-08-09 02:45 PM
    Tethering can be added via VZ Access Manager I believe, I've never actually done it because I'm always subscribed but someone in employee care told me that I could and we have a feature block that we can add on Mobile Broadband Connect (tethering) Self Provisioning so I believe you can.
    07-08-09 02:47 PM
    Tethering can be added via VZ Access Manager I believe, I've never actually done it because I'm always subscribed but someone in employee care told me that I could and we have a feature block that we can add on Mobile Broadband Connect (tethering) Self Provisioning so I believe you can.
    I appreciate the info.

The point of my post was, the reps are quick to judge the stupidity of the customer. However, I don't see you reps working perfectly and mistake-free either. The reps I've worked with have been nice, courteous, and helpful, and for the vast majority of my time with the company, have not made mistakes. And even I'll agree that the vast majority of customers probably don't realize half the things they do.

But, those in glass houses ...
    07-08-09 05:04 PM
    But, those in glass houses ...
    ...need a lot of Windex. (just kidding)

I've seen a couple mistakes in the past, and have made a couple myself. One that stands out in my mind: I had a situation where a customer had a warranty exchange Treo activated and when he did that, insurance dropped off his account and the rep didn't notice. I ended up arguing with a supervisior for about a half our over the phone because the sup was saying that "he must have requested to have insurance removed when he had the phone activated", and I told him "where in the notes does it say that?" They ended up sending him a totally new Treo because there's no way to add insurance back to a phone after the first 30 days of purchase.

If Verizon makes the error, it's our responsibility and our policy to correct where we went wrong. Why should the customer pay for something that we flubbed on? That's just bad business.
    07-08-09 08:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD