I currently have a VZW line through my employer's corporate account. They currently pay for the entire phone bill, but are moving everyone to a perdiem model where they will stop paying the full cell phone bill but just pay us a flat reimbursement each month to help pay for a personal account.

I was recently 'upgraded' to a Samsung Omnia but work only supports WM. They are letting us port our numbers to other carriers or transfer our current number to a new personal VZW account. If I just transfer the number, I will be stuck with the Omnia, my current upgrade date, & have to pay retail for any other phone.

My question is, can I port my number to a new ATT account, stay signed up for 2 days with ATT, then port that number over to VZW and get new subscriber pricing?

ATT will only charge me for usage fees inside 30 days, refund activation fee if inside first 3 day window, but will charge me a restocking fee.

I love VZW but want to ditch my WM for a Tour2 (whenever its finally released). Has anyone tried this? Any other suggestions?
    01-08-10 06:43 AM
    YEs, to do this you will need to an add a line to your personal account. Once this is done you will new pricing for the phone and you can then port in the number
    01-08-10 07:03 AM
    Which will allow for a new device!
    01-08-10 09:36 AM
    In "winback" situations sometimes you are offered a new phone. If you keep the same number and everything like that it might make you continue the original contract that you had... Now if you wait like 2-3 weeks(closer to the 30 days) Im pretty sure you wont have a problem keeping the number and getting new equipment.
    01-08-10 09:39 AM
    how would adding a line help? i dont need a family plan, just a single line with a better phone. Wouldnt they make me return the new phone received when i added the 2nd line if i dropped the second line within 30 days?
    01-08-10 10:34 AM
    Your upgrade date will remain intact. Nice try, though...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-10 10:15 PM
    that is really frowned upon. I used to work with a rep who would get people to do that so he could get paid for a new activation. Carriers do not like this being done. And in the wireless industry this is very unprofessional to do.

Why not just get a new contract with Verizon on your own without porting that phone number. I know having a new phone number is an inconvenience but you can email everyone you have changed your phone number.
    01-09-10 10:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD