Greetings folks. I am not a Blackberry user yet, however I think the time is getting very close for the wife & I. Currently, we are on a new every 2 with my line the primary (both LG flips). Verizon site is showing my contract ends 8/4/09 for both lines, with a $50 credit currently for an upgrade & 'discount' upgrade for my wife.

So my question is, can I get a used Curve somewhere (ebay?) & replace my LG flip without extending my contract? This may be good to get introduced to the Blackberry world. If so, if I bought it used how would I know its not currently under contract with the seller or someone else? Also, would a simple call to Verizon activate the Curve w/o a contract?

I guess my other option would be to wait for the Tour, but I'm eager to get started. Thanks
    Last edited by balwx; 06-09-09 at 05:17 PM.
    06-09-09 04:58 PM
    The 8830 is the World Edition. The Curve is the 8330. Adding another phone to your plan the way you plan on doing will not extend your contract.
    06-09-09 05:16 PM
    Thanks just edited the title
    06-09-09 05:18 PM
    Yes, you can buy a used 8330 from eBay. Make sure the seller has good feedback. Ask the seller if the ESN is clear.Then call VZW and have them do an ESN change. You will also be required to add the $29.99 BIS.

An ESN change does not extend your contract since you are providing the equipment.
    06-09-09 05:26 PM
    Not sure if I'd want a to-to Curve.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-09 06:11 PM
    Thanks everyone for the help. Looks like I may take the plunge very soon.
    06-09-09 07:38 PM
    Awesome! Make sure to keep us updated!

06-09-09 07:50 PM
    Awesome! Make sure to keep us updated!

Thanks Chrisy. Another question please, I see lots of these available on craigslist. If I get one is a sealed box, am i guaranteed a clean esn? or is the esn listed on the outside of the box, which could be possible activated w/o my knowledge?

This would be good because I work in new york city & they seem to be available.
    Last edited by balwx; 06-09-09 at 08:12 PM.
    06-09-09 08:07 PM
    Thanks Chrisy. Another question please, I see lots of these available on craigslist. If I get one is a sealed box, am i guaranteed a clean esn? or is the esn listed on the outside of the box, which could be possible activated w/o my knowledge?

This would be good because I work in new york city & they seem to be available.
    Ask the seller for the ESN. The ESN will always be printed on the outside of the box. Once you have the ESN just drop by a store and have them look it up to see if it is or ever has been active. They can also check to make sure its not on the lost/stolen list.
    06-09-09 09:35 PM
    Ask the seller for the ESN. The ESN will always be printed on the outside of the box. Once you have the ESN just drop by a store and have them look it up to see if it is or ever has been active. They can also check to make sure its not on the lost/stolen list.
    Ok great. Thanks alot.
    06-09-09 09:40 PM
    Dont forget to verify the ESN on the box with the actual one on the phone. You can also verify the ESN with CS with a quick phone call. Good luck!
    Daisy
    06-11-09 01:28 AM
    Thanks just edited the title
    I hope that you are getting a good deal on the phone. The price of one of those devices on ebay is the same fee that you would pay if you broke your contract early one when you start it. That ETF fee prorates over time though. Signing a new contract really isn't a big deal if you consider how much you will spend on your monthly bill for your services over the months remaining until the end of your contract. The ETF itself is designed to recoup the difference between the full retail price of the phone and the subsidized price anyhow.

I'm not trying to discourage you from buying your phone from ebay though. I buy phones from ebay often because I get bored with my phones rather quickly and can't seem to wait till I'm eligible for another upgrade in order to get another phone. Just run the math and go with what works out better for you.
    06-11-09 04:52 AM
    I hope that you are getting a good deal on the phone. The price of one of those devices on ebay is the same fee that you would pay if you broke your contract early one when you start it. That ETF fee prorates over time though. Signing a new contract really isn't a big deal if you consider how much you will spend on your monthly bill for your services over the months remaining until the end of your contract. The ETF itself is designed to recoup the difference between the full retail price of the phone and the subsidized price anyhow.

I'm not trying to discourage you from buying your phone from ebay though. I buy phones from ebay often because I get bored with my phones rather quickly and can't seem to wait till I'm eligible for another upgrade in order to get another phone. Just run the math and go with what works out better for you.
    Thanks for making some good points. I was suprised to see these phones still selling very fast on ebay. For example, one of the bulk sellers is getting around $175, with about 6 listed per day (silver & pink). That validates your point. Not sure at this point what the next move is. The Tour cant be too far away.
    06-11-09 09:19 PM
    The curve is a great phone but i would always go new. less problems
    06-12-09 02:48 PM
    The curve is a great phone but i would always go new. less problems
    no you dont want to go new. There is alot more probs with development now with new phones. Still with the curve for life> i have always gone for the newest its not like it used to be where there wouldnt be any probs at launch. look at the storm.

06-12-09 03:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD