11-11-09 11:59 AM
42 12
tools
    And Twins in that previous post of mine I'm not trying to make this a **** measuring contest.

All I'm saying is that in terms of support (my job) it would be a headache. I deal with customers each day who beat the system before the conversion and got their Storm or VZW device to activate. Only now to have it not provision correctly through the system when they want access to things like MMS or BIS services. So we have to fill out DMD forms and follow up with the customer when it is complete.

Alltel does not have any devices worth buying and bringing over to VZW anyway.

This conversation is starting to stray away from the original point. Regardless of what is said here there is no way to get an Alltel phone onto a VZW plan. The reason: it isn't allowed and is not 100% compatible. So the original poster was wrong in selling the phone and giving false hope to the buyer. No need to get into the reasoning behind policy and procedure!
    09-21-09 11:42 PM
    And Twins in that previous post of mine I'm not trying to make this a **** measuring contest.

All I'm saying is that in terms of support (my job) it would be a headache. I deal with customers each day who beat the system before the conversion and got their Storm or VZW device to activate. Only now to have it not provision correctly through the system when they want access to things like MMS or BIS services. So we have to fill out DMD forms and follow up with the customer when it is complete.

Alltel does not have any devices worth buying and bringing over to VZW anyway.

This conversation is starting to stray away from the original point. Regardless of what is said here there is no way to get an Alltel phone onto a VZW plan. The reason: it isn't allowed and is not 100% compatible. So the original poster was wrong in selling the phone and giving false hope to the buyer. No need to get into the reasoning behind policy and procedure!
    I agree with most of what you said - except the **** part.

It shouldn't have been sold, based on current VZW policies. But it is the policy that is in the way, not the device.

What isn't compatible with the phones? Software? The only things incompatible are VZW profit or company money-saving features - there are no functionality issues. Data, check. Phone, check. Texting, check.

Oops - no MyVerizon, VZNav, VVM, Family Locator (Chaperone).

Aha! They want to SELL you more stuff!

The original post asked if it could be done - yes it can. Only VZW is stopping it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-09 11:50 PM
    What isn't compatible with the phones? Software? The only things incompatible are VZW profit or company money-saving features - there are no functionality issues. Data, check. Phone, check. Texting, check.
    Yeah I agree there is really little in the way for someone having another device on the VZW network.

I've activated VZW phones on the Alltel network before conversion and followed the steps outlined in the Alltel forum! It's not that complex really.

But throw in thousands of customers each month wanting to convert to another carrier's device and then we have to manually provision each phone - that gets to be a problem.

Dumbphones would be MUCH more of a hassle to deal with since they have BREW, Mobile Web, etc.. to deal with.

The solution to this is to mirror the other carrier's network provisioning and load each of their devices in the DMD so it would automatically provision each device without a problem.

BEST solution? Buy a VZW device!!
    09-21-09 11:58 PM
    There you go - mirror each other's provisioning, but not the features, at that would require software updates. This would allow Alltel people to keep what they have, and have phone service.

The current way is no different, except these folks don't have good phone service anymore, in a lot of cases.

Poor buzzards - all they wanted was cell service - if they'd known better, they'd have picked up an iPhone or a Pre!

Lesson to be learned - DO NOT BUY AN ALLTEL PHONE TO USE ON VZW!!!
    09-22-09 12:20 AM
    It will still fail. The system will not allow a phone to be activated if it is not loaded in the DMD as a VZW device.
    Has worked for me twice so dont know what to tell you.
    09-22-09 09:42 AM
    unfortunately no...they would have to convert to a vzw plan. but im hearing alltel customers are being offered discounts on vzw phones if theyre eligible for an upgrade
    09-22-09 08:28 PM
    unfortunately no...they would have to convert to a vzw plan. but im hearing alltel customers are being offered discounts on vzw phones if theyre eligible for an upgrade
    If you guys would quit fighting and read the OPs question it was if an alltel device could be activated on VZW... it can.. I have a curve, and a vegas razr from alltel working on vzw right now.. I cant believe the mods let this go this far full of fighting impossible to even read through now.
    09-22-09 08:30 PM
    If you guys would quit fighting and read the OPs question it was if an alltel device could be activated on VZW... it can.. I have a curve, and a vegas razr from alltel working on vzw right now.. I cant believe the mods let this go this far full of fighting impossible to even read through now.
    Wait - were you previously Alltel? When did you convert to a VZW plan?

I agree it can be done - problem is, VZW won't, now.

09-22-09 09:20 PM
    I just got a letter in the mail from VZW saying if I travel overseas with my 8830WE from Alltel it will not work. I was in Germany last month (I switched in July) and my phone worked just fine. Is VZW trying to get me to switch or is there a technical reason? I still have 11 months left on my contract and now my phone doesn't work overseas? WTF? I hope they let me get a new device with a significant discount. Is the BOGO still on?
    09-23-09 12:17 AM
    It appears Alltel international roaming agreements may have expired, as was expected.

Any VZW reps (or people who sleep with big-mouthed VZW reps) care to toss out some input on this possibility?

And yes - the BOGO is still on for the devices VZW can't sell at market price.
    09-23-09 12:39 AM
    I guess it is time to upgrade then. I have two phones out of contract and 10 months actually on my 8830WE so Verizon should upgrade me on all 3. Why didn't VZW or Alltel advise us of this when the switch happened? I guess getting let down a little bit more over time hurts less.
    09-23-09 08:30 AM
    Wait - were you previously Alltel? When did you convert to a VZW plan?

I agree it can be done - problem is, VZW won't, now.

My wife had a plan on alltel with her mom.. i converted them umm shoot about 6-8 months ago.. paid etfs... tired of the alltel plans.. to get what I got them on with vzw(the unlimited texting) alltel was about 50 more a month so with bb plan and texting i am saving about 20 or so a month.
    09-23-09 11:17 AM
    I have the bb 8130 Altell on with Verizon so yes you can.
    10-03-09 12:33 AM
    I have the bb 8130 Altell on with Verizon so yes you can.
    yeah but you have an alltel grandfathered plan
    11-09-09 07:21 PM
    Regarding the above post about international plans, what about nationwide plans? I posted on another forum and never got an answer on this...I am still on an alltel plan with an alltel device...i am traveling to Mexico at the end of December and would like to change to a nationwide plan for the small amount of time...if I am on alltel phone and plan still...and people are saying i can't have an alltel phone on a vzw plan...how am I supposed to be able to do that?
    11-10-09 12:44 PM
    I have a Curve and am an Alltel customer on one of their old unlimited data plans. I sure hope Verizon let's me keep that plan as I couldn't possibly survive on their limited pay as you go data plan.
    11-11-09 09:06 AM
    I have a Curve and am an Alltel customer on one of their old unlimited data plans. I sure hope Verizon let's me keep that plan as I couldn't possibly survive on their limited pay as you go data plan.

I have the Alltel Tour and I am using it now that we are Verizon.
    It does show the Network as ALLTEL
    Now I don't know if that is correct or not but that is what I am showing, I wouldn't know how to change it.
    11-11-09 11:59 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD