03-07-09 12:23 AM
32 12
tools
    Would it be possible for a regular phone, not a bb or any other smart phone just a simple basic phone, to be hacked? Like hundreds of dollars worth of downloads (pics, videos and music) and with no data plan? Only feature is texting and calling? Would it be possible, at all? Please let me know what u think?
    Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-09 08:50 PM
    Yes its possible

02-28-09 08:55 PM
    yep!!! It is!
    02-28-09 09:29 PM
    It is very possible. More so if the hacker had your phone in his hands.

GSM is very easy to clone, while CDMA is pretty much impossible, but both devices can be hacked.
    02-28-09 11:07 PM
    So if this happens, how can you prove it?
    02-28-09 11:15 PM
    Yeah how do u get outta payin for things you didn't really buy?

02-28-09 11:25 PM
    So it wasn't your phone that got hacked - it was your account?

02-28-09 11:45 PM
    It was one of the phone lines on the family share plan thing.
    03-01-09 12:55 AM
    To do it from a phone-based download, the phone would have to be cloned. CDMA phones cannot be cloned like GSM SIMs can be.

Unless I am misunderstanding something, I would look to the phone user or to someone who had access to that particular phone.

I mean, if you were on AT&T or T-Mobile, there is a possibility of theft. On VZW or Sprint, it just won't happen. Code Division is just too secure.

03-01-09 01:15 AM
    This question is about a phone on my account (OP is my sister, she posted the question for me) the phone is the original ENV, before it was called an ENV, I think its called VX8300 or something like that. The service provider is Verizon. There r three hundred dollars worth of downloads that the phone holder didn't do, and sees no trace of it on his phone. I won't rule out the possibility that someone physically had possession of the phone and did this, and then deleted them from the phone, but I'm wondering if its possible that it was hacked somehow. And if so, how can I find out.thank you all for ur help.
    03-01-09 08:30 AM
    pretty much anything electronic can be hacked if you know what you are doing
    03-01-09 09:04 AM
    If you think your device has been hacked, you call VZW and explain this to them. I am sure there is an procedure to handle this and if nothing else they may put in touch with the fraud dept and they will take a report and investigate it. If the device has been cloned, they may place you in another one and turn off the device. They have systems that can tell. 800-922-0204

If it is cloned, you can check you account online and see if calls are being made to numbers that you did not call. this might be hint that this happened. just a thought, I am sure this a conrete way of telling.
    Last edited by lastraid; 03-01-09 at 09:11 AM.
    03-01-09 09:09 AM
    I almost hesitate to say this, but was the phone owned or used by a teenager? My 15 year
    old nephew swore up and down that he had not downloaded all that stuff (in his case it was about 200) but in the final analysis it was him. . Like judge Judy says you know how to tell if a teenager is lying? Their lips are moving!

03-01-09 10:00 AM
    SWEET PK LOL. Also VZW can tell if software or other D/L's were by review their systems. If it was another teen or person that did all this then erased it, then you need to instruct the user not to loan their phone to anyone. If you do not want them to d/l stuff, then you can it all blocked.
    03-01-09 10:26 AM
    Like judge Judy says you know how to tell if a teenager is lying? Their lips are moving!
    And how can you tell a teen is trying to get away with something? They are awake.

03-01-09 02:16 PM
    Thanks guys, u've been really helpful, I hope to get to the bottom of this asap.
    03-01-09 03:47 PM
    If it is cloned, you can check you account online and see if calls are being made to numbers that you did not call. this might be hint that this happened. just a thought, I am sure this a conrete way of telling.
    If I am not mistaken, to clone a CDMA device, one would need inside assistance @ VZW. And if this happened, the original device would no longer work on the network.

With a GSM device, the SIM cards are fairly easy to clone and both the original device and the cloned device could be active on the network.

03-01-09 04:47 PM
    NOt true that I know of . Late last year there were several palm devices proven to cloned. That is why even today when reactive or actvate a device on the network, we can only do *228 opt 2. The only way we can do an opt 1 is if the device has never been activated. This is controlled by the ESN.
    Last edited by lastraid; 03-01-09 at 05:05 PM.
    03-01-09 05:02 PM
    You can if you dupe the ESN, but that is difficult to do (requiring firmware mods) and would keep the original from working.

I haven't touched a Palm for years, but I do recall an ESN based signature issue with the write code.

03-01-09 10:23 PM
    Well, listed on the bill do they show up as Verizon downloads from like VZW Tones and so on?

Or do they show as premium text messages? Usually charged $9.99 per month for a subscription.
    03-01-09 10:42 PM
    If it WAS a teenager in your family, often VZW will work with you and often waive the bill if the downloads are no longer on your phone and IF you agree to having downloads blocked, and or that this is a 1 time courtesy. My coworker had a 700 dollar data download bill waived from her son's phone when she agreed to add an unlimited data plan. So they DO work with people.
    03-01-09 11:02 PM
    Well, I think it verizon downloads, I'll have to check again to see.

I talked to a tech for like an hour, and he said that these downloads were defiantly made from the device as far as he could see. He said 99% sure, I said"so there's no chance that someone hacked his phone? He said not really, unless someone was out the get him, or like trying to ruin his reputation.... Can someone explain this to me??
    03-01-09 11:38 PM
    Will vcast, get it now, or the internet work if ur in an area that doesn't have verizon connection?
    03-02-09 04:24 PM
    I smell a rat in teenage clothing...
    03-02-09 04:36 PM
    Will vcast, get it now, or the internet work if ur in an area that doesn't have verizon connection?
    If you're in "Extended Network" yes. If you're not, then no.

03-02-09 04:53 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD