I just bought an iPhone and want to port my number to AT&T, However my contract is not up yet. I don't want to cancel my verizon service, i just wanna get my number onto my iPhone and just get a new number on my verizon line.

Is this possible?

I spoke to 2 different cs reps (both verizon) one said yes and one said no..

If any of you know of a way to do this let me know! I don't want to loose my number :/!

ps- iphone < blackberry

just sayin'
    09-18-10 05:17 AM
    If you think iPhone < BB, why would you bother with it?

But anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if they let you port internally within Verizon, but I can't picture them letting you port your number to some other carrier while under contract.
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 09-18-10 at 09:11 AM.
    09-18-10 09:09 AM
    Yep, if you port the number to another carrier it will cancel the line and leave you open to ETF charges.

Option: keep the VZW line until you are sure you want to keep the iPhone, forward your VZW number to the ATT number.
    09-18-10 09:56 AM
    I second lastraid. If you port the # its gone. That account closes and etf will hit you. There won't be a way to keep it with a new # verizon will probably tell you you can't. It would be a new account. I remember I tried something like that and couldn't.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-10 11:35 AM
    no matter what.....porting over a phone number closes out the account and if done while still under contract there will be the ETF No getting around that.
    09-18-10 12:15 PM
    Umm...wow...

Ok so you can port your number over, which will cancel your account and get you an ETF. Then you reactivate your line, you will get a new number. The account will be reopened and the ETF credited. I've done it plenty of times, it's possible.
    09-18-10 12:23 PM
    Umm...wow...

Ok so you can port your number over, which will cancel your account and get you an ETF. Then you reactivate your line, you will get a new number. The account will be reopened and the ETF credited. I've done it plenty of times, it's possible.

i'm not so sure about that part, reactivating and getting a new number..
    but you said you've done it..
    i had the same problem with T-mo and AT&T before..
    porting the numbers autmoatically closed my account with T-mobile and automatically charged me $200/line on our family account.
    i tried to re-open it with a new number, but the CS rep back then (2005) said i don't own that number anymore
    09-18-10 04:51 PM
    i'm not so sure about that part, reactivating and getting a new number..
    but you said you've done it..
    i had the same problem with T-mo and AT&T before..
    porting the numbers autmoatically closed my account with T-mobile and automatically charged me $200/line on our family account.
    i tried to re-open it with a new number, but the CS rep back then (2005) said i don't own that number anymore
    That's why I said new number. You wouldn't be able to get the same number if you ported it over. Or if you disconnected then reconnected you would lose the number and would have to get a new one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-10 05:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD