07-16-09 07:48 AM
31 12
tools
    Well, don't forget that cell service, regardless the carrier, doesn't work everywhere. VZW never claims to not have some spots where things aren't the best. I mean, our network covers 85% of the US population, but that's still 15% that aren't covered and will either get no service or spotty service. We have a small deadzone nearby where I live, but we're actively working on zoning for a tower there.

I'm glad they're going to at least check it out for you. With Verizon letting you out of the service, I don't really know how the policy works since it's one of those things that has to be verified first so it's mostly a natl customer service thing. My advice is to ask a rep what the policy is on that.

As far as coverage maps go, the maps won't show if there's a particular spot where, for example, you're maybe between mountains so the signal can't hit your phone. The tower signal might reach that area, but since it can't penetrate mountains, it may be something that you have to get out of the valley or be at a higher elevation to hit. I ran into this problem with T-Mo when I had it and had gone camping in the Blue Ridge mountains.

If you want a really accurate view of what the coverage is, VZW has a store-accessible coverage map that can be zoomed in on. Any store rep can look up this information for you.
    07-08-09 09:22 PM
    My reception in Madison on my storm is around -85. Until I go into the UW hospital... then it craters.
    So you're getting reasonable signal on your Storm. As far as UW Hospital goes, we could probably say the same thing for most large medical facilities. All of that radiation is not only killing patients, it toasts cell signals!

A little more to think about here, gang.

1) I don't care what your favorite phone is, BlackBerrys do not have the best signal retention. I've always given them somewhere around a 10% hit - not an exact figure, but a rough average. It is from my own experience & testing, so don't ask me for a source, as I am it.

My sample Curves - the two I carry - are both off. One by about 12% and the other is about 19%. The ratio between the meter readings isn't even constant between the two. Using 10%, as I mentioned above, is being charitable - but I like being charitable & giving the benefit of the doubt.

2) Cellphones are not calibrated. Your signal meter, even when you switch to read your dBM is not accurate. Some are wildly off. There are variations from sample to sample within any individual model, with more within a manufacturer's lineup. Still wider ones can be found between manufacturers.

Ever wonder why one phone drops calls at 1 or 2 bars, while another miraculously holds signal with no bars?

Dropping a phone, even once, can affect the meter and/or radio power.

3) Lastly, your phone displays a RSSI value. This is the usable signal + noise. The amount of ambient noise can cause wide variations in your actual performance. To get an accurate reading, you need to be able to subtract the RSCP from the RSSI readings. RSCP is the base pilot signal reference, sans noise.

If you don't know the RSCP at your check point, the RSSI is nothing more than the roughest of references.

Want a true reading? You'll need something along the lines of a vector signal analysis device - figure $30k+ for a good one. VZW owns hundreds of these devices. I have a few. Maybe everyone needs one.

Ready to take out that second mortgage?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-09 10:34 PM

Want a true reading? You'll need something along the lines of a vector signal analysis device - figure $30k+ for a good one. VZW owns hundreds of these devices. I have a few. Maybe everyone needs one.

I want one. Let me know when you have a garage sale, I'll be right over.
    07-08-09 11:49 PM
    I have a place at a RV Campground in Watertown, WI (between Milwaukee and Madison). My family has a total of 6 phones on the Verizon Network and we have 10% service on a good day. 2 Blackberry Storms, 2 LG Chocolates, 1 LG ENV 2, and 1 LG Voyager. We figure with a town that is 7 miles away and rapidly growing, you would think that I would have good coverage. Not so.
    Now my wife's family has a lake house in the middle of nowhere in the Northwoods of WI. I have full coverage and internet coverage. They installed a tower 3 miles away for a population of 1000 or so. Go figure. I think the Illinois folks fought for service up there since they own most of the lakes in Northern WI.
    07-09-09 12:36 AM
    I want one. Let me know when you have a garage sale, I'll be right over.
    Hey! I'll do that!

Problem is, the things aren't cheap to calibrate, either.

I have a place at a RV Campground in Watertown, WI (between Milwaukee and Madison). My family has a total of 6 phones on the Verizon Network and we have 10% service on a good day. 2 Blackberry Storms, 2 LG Chocolates, 1 LG ENV 2, and 1 LG Voyager. We figure with a town that is 7 miles away and rapidly growing, you would think that I would have good coverage. Not so.
    Now my wife's family has a lake house in the middle of nowhere in the Northwoods of WI. I have full coverage and internet coverage. They installed a tower 3 miles away for a population of 1000 or so. Go figure. I think the Illinois folks fought for service up there since they own most of the lakes in Northern WI.
    Getting off of I-94 can be iffy. Blame the tree-huggers, mostly.

07-09-09 12:46 AM
    Update:

They have tested my area and have determined it has a "marginal signal". They left me a message stating this. They also mentioned they will be installing another tower in this calendar year closer to where I live. That's not soon enough for me, frankly.

And they also mentioned the purchase of the network extender, which I believe to be a crock. I dont live in the boonies. Why should I pay more to improve service I am already paying for; service that is great elsewhere except for the corner of the world in which I live that gets excellent signals from other carriers. VZW's whole schtick is "Can you hear me now"? No, VZW, I cannot hear you. Plus, I have enough IT hardware in my home. I dont want any more.

Before I cal them about their determination. Do you thingk I have grounds to cancel my contrcat with VZW?
    07-16-09 07:48 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD