07-16-09 08:48 AM
31 12
tools
    Anyone else from Madison area finding reception, which has never been great, getting worse? I travel the country with -80 signal, but can rarely achieve this at home. I am considering going with another provider such as my former carrier US Cellular, which was flawless. The battery drain due to poor signal is unacceptable.
    07-04-09 08:10 PM
    Have you done *228 and option 2?

Alltel has great coverage there and Verizon phones should lock onto them

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-09 08:39 PM
    Oh and if you want to switch, look at Sprint or US Cellular, AT&T is horrible

07-04-09 08:40 PM

Oh yes, I have done the 228. Many times. I cannot find a decent pocket in this town and it has been worse as the weather has gotten warmer. I have heard this complaint from other Verizon users here using a variety of phones.
    07-04-09 10:52 PM
    Oh and if you want to switch, look at Sprint or US Cellular, AT&T is horrible

I switched from US Cell for Verizon because of roaming charges. I may go back.
    07-04-09 10:53 PM
    Is your Network Selection set to Auto or Home Only?

I ask because on my visits to Madison & a few other places in Wisconsin, my BlackBerry phones seem to search for signals more. My other VZW phones work well there.

CDMA BlackBerry phones do not have radios known for holding signals.

07-04-09 11:35 PM
    Alltel has no coverage in the Madison area.

07-04-09 11:58 PM
    If you make a formal complant with verizon and they can't help you they'll let you cancle with no penalties.

07-04-09 11:58 PM
    Alltel has no coverage in the Madison area.
    You are right, I just looked at their map, Verizon looks solid there though

@ Bob, Have you called Verizon about this?
    07-05-09 04:08 AM
    Are we sure this is an indoor thing?

Going with US Cell there will not do you any good - they run mostly on VZW towers in the area.

07-05-09 04:15 AM
    Err - are we sure this ISN'T an indoor thing?

Or a settings issue?

07-05-09 04:16 AM
    Is your Network Selection set to Auto or Home Only?

I ask because on my visits to Madison & a few other places in Wisconsin, my BlackBerry phones seem to search for signals more. My other VZW phones work well there.

CDMA BlackBerry phones do not have radios known for holding signals.

Mine is set to auto. I never considered this. Which is optimal?
    07-05-09 11:23 AM
    Err - are we sure this ISN'T an indoor thing?

Or a settings issue?

My reception is poor both inside and outside. I average -100 to -105 at all times both inside and out
    07-05-09 11:24 AM
    You are right, I just looked at their map, Verizon looks solid there though

@ Bob, Have you called Verizon about this?
    Thankss to all. I have not contacted Verizon yet. I assumed that it would do no good. I guess I will have to make a call to them. Unless I can figure this out. I would hate to cancel this, but this is getting lousy. I want Verizon to work.
    07-05-09 11:26 AM
    Mine is set to auto. I never considered this. Which is optimal?
    Auto usually is - but for info purposes, try switching to Home Only, save, then do a battery pull - see if that improves it. If it does, you may have a corrupted PRL. If it doesn't improve, return it to Auto & call VZW.

If it is happening in & out, I'd wonder what else it could be. As I said before, I get good signal there - but outlying areas I can get better service on my non-BlackBerry phones, but I find that anywhere.

07-05-09 01:43 PM
    Auto usually is - but for info purposes, try switching to Home Only, save, then do a battery pull - see if that improves it. If it does, you may have a corrupted PRL. If it doesn't improve, return it to Auto & call VZW.

If it is happening in & out, I'd wonder what else it could be. As I said before, I get good signal there - but outlying areas I can get better service on my non-BlackBerry phones, but I find that anywhere.

Thanks for tip. I tried it and reception was unchanged. Maybe even a bit worse. In New York a few weeks ago it was humming. Same OS (.138). I get back home and its as bad as always. I live on South side of town and have heard of especially bad coverage. I think its a luck of the draw thing
    07-05-09 02:19 PM
    Bob Vance from Vance appliances....

Think it could be a phone issue? I was in Wisconsin over the weekend and had no problem at all. We were through Madison to Milwaukee.
    07-05-09 02:27 PM
    Bob Vance from Vance appliances....

Think it could be a phone issue? I was in Wisconsin over the weekend and had no problem at all. We were through Madison to Milwaukee.
    It could be, but my travels tell me otherwise. NY, -80. Miami, -80. Phoenix, -80. Northern WI, -80. Southside and downtown Madison, sucks.
    07-05-09 03:28 PM
    I'm sure you already have, but I didn't see you post about it... did you ask anyone locally you know if they've been having the same problem?
    07-05-09 03:32 PM
    I'm sure you already have, but I didn't see you post about it... did you ask anyone locally you know if they've been having the same problem?
    Madison, WI 53711 - Cell Phone Coverage - Page 1 of 15 - Mobiledia

take a look at these reviews. make sure to choose Verizon carrier. I am not alone.

Doesn't Verizon pride and market itself on reception? Madison is not a big market, but we're not Hooterville either. They need to improve this
    07-05-09 03:41 PM
    If you make a formal complant with verizon and they can't help you they'll let you cancle with no penalties.

Anyone know if this is truly the case. I would be more than glad to let them come over to my home to see how bad recception is. Can I get out of vzw contract with one year left if the signal has deteriorated to barely anything? Can I port my number BACK to US celluar if I cancel?
    07-08-09 03:51 PM
    It could be, but my travels tell me otherwise. NY, -80. Miami, -80. Phoenix, -80. Northern WI, -80. Southside and downtown Madison, sucks.
    Phone issue - degraded radio performance. I get -50dBm to -60 in most areas of Phoenix. Miami gives me a little less, but still better than -80 average.

My info tells me -60 to -80 for most of Madison.

So it is not a carrier issue - it is a phone issue. As such, it is not a valid reason to break contract.

07-08-09 04:47 PM
    Wow. I didn't know Madison was so bad. I visit family in Madison and have always had great coverage with verizon.

Family lives near Blackhawk off Lake Mendota Dr kind of northwest of UW, but with friends in Milwaukee too, you'd think I might have experienced some of this poor service? Unless it just fell off since late April when I was last there.

Last time out we did a picnic in Nelson Park on the other side of the lake and I had to turn my phone off because it kept ringing. I-94 into Milwaukee and Chicago is no problem nor is the drive up through Oshkosh to Green Bay.

Maybe we're talking about a different Madison and a different Wisconsin?

07-08-09 06:42 PM
    My reception in Madison on my storm is around -85. Until I go into the UW hospital... then it craters.
    07-08-09 06:45 PM
    I get good reception downtown. I get terrible reception where I live and do most of my talking, plain and simple. It's not my phone. -80 on the curve is most optimal. I get this virtually everywhere I go outside of this area. I even get this downtown from time to time. My wife's reception is worse than mine and she does not use a blackberry.

I called Verizon. They are sending someone out to check the signal. This area has had problem with VZW. It's been known as a dead area. Finally talked to a few people who had to switch because vzw did not work for them, which blows me away that it can be this bad.
    07-08-09 08:03 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD