I have thought that my 8330 loses battery strength awfully fast, but never having had a "smart phone" or a 3G device before, I was uncertain. I got my phone on April 24, 2009. All apps and browsers are not in use and closed.

Now I'm suspicious I have a crappy battery. last night I charged my BB, unplugged it and deleted two short email messages--no talking, no surfing the web, nothing else. I shut the BB off after 10 minutes from unplugging it from the wall charger. It was still at 100% battery strength. When I woke up this morning, the Curve was a 83% power. It lost 17% power overnight, while shut OFF? I literally shut the phone off 10 minutes after unplugging it from the wall the night before.

Is losing 17% battery life while shut off normal? Can I get the battery checked at Verizon? Is it possible to get a bad battery in a new BB and, if so, will it be replaced?
    Edit/Delete Message
    05-29-09 10:11 AM
    Yes a store can check battery.

Charge you device everynight, this will not hurt the battery.

Yes batteries do lose charge even if the device is off. whether 17% is within acceptable limits, I have no idea.
    05-29-09 10:35 AM
    Are you properly closing applications by hitting menu>close ? If you just hit end the apps are still running in the background...
    05-29-09 10:39 AM
    Yes a store can check battery. Thanks, I'll go today.

Charge you device everynight, this will not hurt the battery. I charge it every night, in the morning after I wake up, and via the USB at work, almost every day I do this.

Yes batteries do lose charge even if the device is off. whether 17% is within acceptable limits, I have no idea. I will find out.

Are you properly closing applications by hitting menu>close ? If you just hit end the apps are still running in the background... Yes, exactly. I hit the BB button (menu) and scroll down to "close".
    05-29-09 10:50 AM
    do you leave any apps open that constantly check for new data this could be a issue as well.
    05-29-09 05:39 PM
    Make sure your GPS settings show 911 Only.

But I'd say you have a bad battery. They either last a long time, ir they are dead fairly quickly.

Be prepared though. VZW pulls a real CS bit of thievery - they pro-rate the battery; if it is three months old, they will charge you for that three months, based on the one-year warranty. After the battery is past 30 days, you fo into the pro-rata schedule - if the battery is 11 months & a day, you will get about 8.5% off the price of a new one (retail divided by 12 times the number of months remaining on the battery warranty.

Considering they charge about 2-3 times the price of the cheapest online prices for an OEM battery, they are often doing you no favors. .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-09 01:47 AM

But I'd say you have a bad battery. They either last a long time, ir they are dead fairly quickly.

Be prepared though. VZW pulls a real CS bit of thievery - they pro-rate the battery; if it is three months old, they will charge you for that three months, based on the one-year warranty. After the battery is past 30 days, you fo into the pro-rata schedule - if the battery is 11 months & a day, you will get about 8.5% off the price of a new one (retail divided by 12 times the number of months remaining on the battery warranty.

Considering they charge about 2-3 times the price of the cheapest online prices for an OEM battery, they are often doing you no favors. .

sometimes yes and sometimes no..

my friend had his for about 2 months.. found out battery was bad they didnt have any in stock at the store sent it to his house when he got it he brought the old one back and they re credited the entire price so my guess is it may depend on who you get?

I mean I know what your talking about but maybe a rep has power to do a full replacement?
    05-30-09 03:41 AM
    Ok, I have had my phone set to 911 only.

As for apps that I have "open", I think I have the standard ones that BB Curve owners have and can't "close": Blackberry Messenger; Home Screen; Browser; Messages; Phone; and Funambol Blackberry Plug-in (which I have disabled from syncing--it's an app that got loaded when I loaded my AOL Calendar, which I soon realized I didn't want, and then disabled all syncing with Funambol, yet it still shows up when you go to "Switch Application".) I don't think any of these qualify as "always checking for more data", do they?

Anyway, I did bring the phone to VZW yesterday. They did a 20 minute test and said it may or not be a bad battery, but they'd really need to test it longer to truly determine if the battery was bad. However, since I only had the phone one month, they simply replaced the battery. I am now watching this one, but I do realize that these do not hold charges anything like a dumbphone does, and realize I just have to keep a charger handy.
    05-30-09 07:53 AM
    Ok, I have had my phone set to 911 only.

As for apps that I have "open", I think I have the standard ones that BB Curve owners have and can't "close": Blackberry Messenger; Home Screen; Browser; Messages; Phone; and Funambol Blackberry Plug-in (which I have disabled from syncing--it's an app that got loaded when I loaded my AOL Calendar, which I soon realized I didn't want, and then disabled all syncing with Funambol, yet it still shows up when you go to "Switch Application".) I don't think any of these qualify as "always checking for more data", do they?

Anyway, I did bring the phone to VZW yesterday. They did a 20 minute test and said it may or not be a bad battery, but they'd really need to test it longer to truly determine if the battery was bad. However, since I only had the phone one month, they simply replaced the battery. I am now watching this one, but I do realize that these do not hold charges anything like a dumbphone does, and realize I just have to keep a charger handy.
    You may have disable the actual syncing of the data, but the software will still want to go and check. So to remove that software, go to options>adv options>applications, when list loads, highlight that software and hit menu and delete, this remove it.

Depeneding on use, the should last a good day. You are correct batteries do not last as long as a dumb phone. BB likes to be fully charged all the time, so make sure you charge you phone every night
    05-30-09 07:58 AM
    You may have disable the actual syncing of the data, but the software will still want to go and check. So to remove that software, go to options>adv options>applications, when list loads, highlight that software and hit menu and delete, this remove it.

Depeneding on use, the should last a good day. You are correct batteries do not last as long as a dumb phone. BB likes to be fully charged all the time, so make sure you charge you phone every night
    I have now deleted Funambol...thanks for reminding me that even though it's disabled, it can still keep "checking"...
    05-30-09 08:19 AM
    I have now deleted Funambol...thanks for reminding me that even though it's disabled, it can still keep "checking"...
    You are welcome. Please report back and let us know if this helps
    05-30-09 08:20 AM
    Turn your backlight down from 100 to 50 or less. It's not as bad as the storm but it's a start. You won't really be able to tell a noticeable difference. The phone, however, will know a huge difference.

WRONG!

Batteries come with a one year manufacturer's warranty. Within the first year of purchase they should replace the battery if it is determined to be bad. No proration involved.

I first check software of the phone. I will even replace the phone first bc batteries don't go bad that often. However, it does happen.

Twins I would like to know more about the situation you described. Go in and ask any rep and they should say your phone comes with a one year warranty. Includes battery. Chargers are the same way. Some other accessories VZW sales has a 1 yr man. war others have 30 days. It will say it on the back of the packaging. Hence why I say the charger that comes with the 1 yr war.

Where you run into the warranty not working is if you have your battery for 11 months. It gets replaced... you don't get another year. You finish out your year bc it's from original purchase date. Same goes with other accesories.

Phones get either the 1 yr. or if its near the one year and the warr is almost up you get 90 days from swapping out the phone.
    Last edited by bs1two; 05-30-09 at 08:40 AM. Reason: spelling
    05-30-09 08:39 AM
    Can someone tell me what is the difference between a OEM rim battery and an original blackberry battery? How do I know when is an original, and not refurbished?
    thank you for any explanation
    12-30-09 01:31 PM
    Can someone tell me what is the difference between a OEM rim battery and an original blackberry battery? How do I know when is an original, and not refurbished?
    thank you for any explanation
    Verizon does not give refurbed batteries. OEM just means it's BB branded, not a different brand that is compatible for the BB.
    12-30-09 04:32 PM
    I had that problem with mine months after buying my BB too. They tested it in the store, had me delete 3rd party themes and apps, and replaced the battery for free. The battery still died quickly so then I called CS and they sent me a refurb and my battery lasts all day EASILY now, with lots of apps and everything.
    12-30-09 05:09 PM
    Get the Seidio 2600mAh Extended Battery.

Believe me, it's worth it even with the extra size, weight and inability to dock.

I used to charge every night and hoped I would have have enough power to finish the day.

Now I charge every three days.
    12-31-09 06:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD