I don't understand US mobile tariffs. I just moved from the UK to the US, and back home, mobile contracts are simpler and cheaper.

Anyway, I would greatly appreciate some help. I really miss having a BB.

My fiancee has a Verizon contract with a BB Curve 8330. I really want a BB, would especially quite like a [Storm2/Storm 2/Storm 9550/Storm II/Odin] on release. I thought that maybe we could get a BB with the BOGOF offer if we added me on a second line, so we called Verizon.

Cust Serv told us that we're not eligible, as the primary line must be eligible for an upgrade for BOGO to work. Otherwise we could only buy a single handset.

My understanding of the current contract is as follows (sorry it's not complete, my fiancee is currently at work): 450 minutes and a data plan. Not sure whether she has a text package or unlimited, but she doesn't pay individually for them. The monthly bill is around $73, which is after a 15% student discount and tax. Her official upgrade date is April '10. The contract, I believe, begun sometime around September '08.

I have read through this thread 'http://forums.crackberry.com/f145/verizon-users-you-can-upgrade-early-334113', and must confess to being really confounded.

Any advice on our situation would be helpful. A few direct questions to help enable responses:

1) Is there anyway we could use the BOGOF before April - preferably now or next month? I'm aware that the BOGO offer may expire.

2) Was the Verizon lady on the phone telling us the truth?

3) Are we eligible for the Verizon Advantage Plan if we were to upgrade to a Family Share Plan?

4) What would that mean in terms of price options/upgrade options?

Thanks again!
    Last edited by dancingcrab; 10-12-09 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Bad grammar
    10-12-09 01:37 PM
    In order to get the the deal, it has to be done with 2 newly signed 2 year contracts. So the lady wasn't lying. The first line would have to be eligible for an upgrade/renewal in order to get the second one free. That is, as long as you add a line to her bill with a new 2 year agreement.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-09 01:43 PM
    1) NO there is not, she doesnt qualify for an annual upgrade because she isnt on a high enough rate plan. SO the BOGO does not qualify less you add 2 lines of service to the account.
    2)Yes she was telling the truth, the BOGO only applies if you have eligible lines (IE ready for renewal or adding new lineS of service)
    3)VZW advantage plan??? Family share starts at 69.99 a month plus any data packages and or text package and insurance.
    4)answered above. you'd get teh discount price on the S2 which has not been announced yet. 69.99 starting price less her 15% discount. 29.99 per data package plus any corresponding text or insurance.
    10-12-09 01:43 PM
    Thank you both for the quick responses! At least now I'm clear on the fact that we shan't be utilising the BOGO offer.

3)VZW advantage plan??? Family share starts at 69.99 a month plus any data packages and or text package and insurance.
    If I get your meaning, you're asking what the VAP is...? It's something that I read about in the link I mentioned in my first post.

Tangent: on the Verizon website, they list four Family Share Plan options when building a contract from scratch. However, when my fiancee tries to add a line, it only provides the choice of Basic or Select. Why isn't Connect listed? It's preferable as it includes data straight off.
    Last edited by dancingcrab; 10-12-09 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Doh, grammar
    10-12-09 01:53 PM
    BlackBerries and smartphones are not eligible for the Connect plan. It is listed for select devices only.

10-12-09 03:08 PM
    2) yes

1) if she has unlimited texting (select plan) she qualifies for an annual upgrade

3) not sure what the advantage plan is

10-12-09 03:29 PM
    2) yes

1) if she has unlimited texting (select plan) she qualifies for an annual upgrade
    Looking at the rates he mentioned, she doesn't have the Select plan.

Still trying to determine how the Select plan qualifies you for an annual upgrade.

10-13-09 12:30 AM
    Twins - true if she did it should be like 85 before tax but I wasn't really thinking about. Any plan of more than 49.99 is eligible for annual upgrade, so any on the individual select plans fit that, with the lowest being 59.99

10-13-09 12:35 AM
    Okay - forgive me for any ignorance on this - as I've mentioned, I don't do the NE2 or anything. I don't do the contract route.

But I thought the upgrade promos were based on the minutes portion (or VIP status) & not adds like Select, Connect or Premium...

10-13-09 02:06 AM
    Okay - forgive me for any ignorance on this - as I've mentioned, I don't do the NE2 or anything. I don't do the contract route.

But I thought the upgrade promos were based on the minutes portion (or VIP status) & not adds like Select, Connect or Premium...

Add ons don't count (text packages, vznav, data plans, etc.

But the whole select connect premium thing is part of your base rate plan, which is what they look at
    10-13-09 08:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD