Hey my family and i are going to be traveling down to costa rica and i currently have the storm. My dad is going to need the phone on his line throughout the duration of the trip, now how would i go about switching it to his line, will the data plan be prorated the 7 days we are there, how do i turn data off so we arent charged the global fee and only the phone functions are on. Thanks for your help
    04-08-09 09:56 PM
    First off, I'm glad to hear you aren't in here dying or something. With a thoroughly descriptive thread title "Please help" I thought there might have been some sort of emergency.

Otherwise, yes the data plan is prorated for the amount of time you have it. You would end up paying $16.25 for 7 days of the global data plan.
    04-08-09 11:10 PM
    hah sorry about that but i dont plan on putting the global data plan on for the trip because my dad will not need it but how do i go about switching phones with him. (he needs his number on the storm)
    04-08-09 11:23 PM
    Being that its only $9 more than you would pay anyway, don't be a cheapskate and get the global data plan. The trip cost is already thousands of dollars so $9 more won't break the bank. It will also prevent you from starting a thread about how verizon raped you on data roaming charges.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-09 11:28 PM
    ICE only charges like the equivalent of a dime per minute - why not grab a prepaid?

04-09-09 12:58 AM
    my dad needs his number so he can recieve calls for his business, but i will look into the global data plan but do i go about changing the phones over??
    04-09-09 03:11 PM
    I am not sure changing them over is possible.
    04-09-09 03:28 PM
    why wouldnt it be possible. i think i might have to just go into verizon to have it done....
    04-09-09 05:28 PM
    You can do it yourself, with help from tele-tech support or in a store.

04-09-09 05:38 PM
    Here, I googled it.

To do it yourself, you just log onto their website, follow the links to their "programming a phone to an existing line", then reprogram her number back to her old phone first then your number to the new phone. If you don't have online access to verizon just take all three phones to the store and they will do it for you.
    04-09-09 05:39 PM
    thank you, and do i just call verizon regarding the addition of the global data access?
    04-09-09 06:28 PM
    Yes - call them, tell them what you need to do and they will offer you available solutions & assistance.

04-09-09 06:51 PM
    if you're swapping two active phones its kinda tricky, and you can't do it online without a 3rd "place holder phone"...just call in and they will do it for you..call from a landline with both phones there in front of you.
    04-09-09 08:39 PM
    i think you should talk to your provider and let them know that your dad is going to be using your phone
    04-11-09 01:20 AM
    Hey my family and i are going to be traveling down to costa rica and i currently have the storm. My dad is going to need the phone on his line throughout the duration of the trip, now how would i go about switching it to his line, will the data plan be prorated the 7 days we are there, how do i turn data off so we arent charged the global fee and only the phone functions are on. Thanks for your help
    I have a similar problem. I am a T-Mobile customer and going to costa rica. Now I added the unlimited internation email which is prorated so I got email.
    But I wanted to use UMA for voice when I am there. I can use uma here. But the tmobile rep said " The question you ask is a
    really good one. You would need to add the at home feature to your
    account. This feature is called T-Mobile @Home Single Line Unlimited
    Rate Plan for $9.99 per month. You must already have a rate plan that
    is at least $39.99 and you do so you?re safe there. It does call for a
    two year agreement however you already have one so that should not be a
    problem. If you would like to add this to your account please contact
    T-Mobile again at the number listed below."

So I call them up and they like this @Home is a feature that you have to add when I sign up for the account and is not an addon feature. WTF are they talking about???

First I dont need unlimited uma calling. I just dont want to get roaming charges for the 10-20 min of total calling that I will be doing there. Anyone have any experience with UMA and traveling. Is there anything extra that needs to be added to your account for you to be able to use it internationally vs in the US? Because I can use it here in the US just fine. Any help would be appreciated.

PS I am using the 8900.

Thanks.
    04-14-09 03:52 PM
    i say tell your dad not to be a cheapskate and get his own global phone.
    04-14-09 03:57 PM
    I have a similar problem. I am a T-Mobile customer and going to costa rica. Now I added the unlimited internation email which is prorated so I got email.
    Try the T-Mobile forums. You just lost the majority of readers here and I can't take time to answer a T-Mobile quetion in the VZW forums. They'd hang me out to dry!

i say tell your dad not to be a cheapskate and get his own global phone.
    Great answer - my sentiments as well.

04-14-09 04:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD