I just realized that I kind of got hosed when I upgraded my phone last night (to the BB Pearl). I had an LG regular phone before, so of course I had to upgrade my plan to get some kind of e-mail/web package for the BB.

However, I think there was some confusion.

I was told at first that I would pay the same $39.99 for my 450-minute calling plan as I did before. Then, for the BB, we'd add the $29.99 e-mail/web plan. The problem with this is that I get a corporate discount (10%) and it only covers the "ACCESS" plan. With this scenario, the $39.99 was the only thing that counted as "access."

I saw online that there was a COMBINED voice/data plan for the BlackBerry. I *thought* it was $69.99, essentially making it the same as the scenario above, except now, the whole amount was considered "access" and would be discounted by my company. Well, unfortunately I didn't notice that the combined plan is actually $79.99. WTF? I somehow got roped into paying an additional $10 a month.

So I guess my question is... does anyone know what the benefits of getting the combined plan are? Why am I being charged an additional $10 a month for what seems to be the same exact thing? I'm not aware of any extra benefits that the combined plan offers, and I wasn't able to pick up on anything different from looking at their website.

Are these Verizon people going to let me change back to the separate voice and data plans?
    04-25-08 12:27 PM
    do you have a text package on there?
    04-25-08 12:39 PM
    I am paying an additional $5/month for the 250 txt/pix messages.
    04-25-08 12:43 PM
    Good question! The blackberry plan for $80 is supposed to be the 450 min plan + the data (29.99). However, the 2 plans separate come to $10 less!

450 min voice plan = 39.99
    bis add on = 29.99
    total = ~$70.

I dont see anything in the "nationwide email" for blackberry plan that gives you anything extra for the extra $10. I'm goig to call verizon myself about that one.
    04-25-08 12:46 PM
    The combined plans have BES. If you do not need BES (work controls your email) Have them take you off that $79.99. Put you on the $39.99 plan and have them add the BIS Email feature for $29.99. The code is in my signature.
    04-25-08 12:49 PM
    We use Outlook for e-mail at work, and I'd like to have access to it. I just am not willing to pay an extra $10 a month for it.

Also, I'm not even sure I need the BES capability to access my work e-mail. I was able to set it up using the regular webmail set up on the phone. We tried to do it through the network with the network pin or whatever at first, and it didn't work. I work at a college, and the salesguy mentioned he had set up mail for one of our students without BES. We are all on the same e-mail (students and faculty/staff) so I can't see how I would be any different.

I guess the only disadvantage then would be that I wouldn't be able to sync up my Outlook calendar or contacts, right? Even after downloading the BlackBerry Desktop software?
    04-25-08 12:55 PM
    BIS- put in your own email seetings and you control it.

You will have to sync with your pc to update you calender and appt's using desktop software.

BES- email settings are setup on server side and you will also have rela time calender and contacts. If you guys don't have a server for enterprise, then no need for BES. get BIS.
    04-25-08 01:01 PM
    Your IT department will be able to tell you if you need BES or not. Sounds like you don't. You can still sync your contacts and calendar using Desktop Manager. You just can't do it wireless.
    04-25-08 01:02 PM
    My Outlook calendar and contacts are not synched with my BB now. I thought that I had to hook it up to the desktop to do that. But now it's making more sense... the reason those things are not synched is because I set up my Outlook e-mail through the web thingy (BIS, I guess). I didn't go the route of synching it with my work server. Gotcha.

I guess I need to call Verizon, then. I suppose they won't be bastards about me asking to make this change?
    04-25-08 01:05 PM
    When I got my Blackberry Pearl, I ordered the email & web package ($29.99 via Verizon) but they charged me for the full data (including tethered modem support) for $44.99. When I saw this on my bill I called and got the charges fixed and the difference refunded without difficulty.

FWIW, I get a 19% "access discount" for my calling plan, and 20% "feature discount" for my data portion, as part of the employee discount program offered to my company by Verizon.

I'd suggest calling your carrier to make sure they have your services specified correctly.
    04-25-08 01:15 PM
    Hmm. I was told that only the 44.95 plan had BES capability and the 29.99 was BIS only.
    04-25-08 02:13 PM
    Hmm. I was told that only the 44.95 plan had BES capability and the 29.99 was BIS only.
    That is correct. The bundled plan for $79.99 is actually $39.99 access fee for 450 minutes plus $44.99 BES with a $4.99 discount for getting it as a bundle. The higher bundled plan you go, the bigger the discount they give you.
    04-25-08 03:31 PM
    heh I could have been on my company's server all this time and didnt even know it.
    04-25-08 06:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD