Hi All,

I am looking for some advice from my fellow Crackberry users. My wife recently lost her job and our family is struggling to make ends meet. I cannot afford early termination fees, nor can I afford to continue paying $225 a month to Verizon for cell service.

Our current plan is this:

NATIONWIDE SELECT FAMILY SHARE PRIMARY 1400 $110.00
    Friend and Family
    4 Insurances 4x$8
    2 BIS charges 2x$30
    3 Add A Lines 3x$10
    Total after taxes and discounts is about $225 each month.

Usage each month:
    Peak 41 Minutes
    Off Peak 229
    M2M Calling Peak 421 (Mostly Friends and Family)
    M2M Calling Off Peak 182 (Mostly Friends and Family)

I emailed Verizon to see if there were any ways to save on my current plans. They offered me something called the Loyalty Share Plan that has 550 minutes per month to share between the four lines for $59.99 for the Primary line and, $9.99 each for the three secondary lines. There are two problems with that plan - it does not include texting, of which we use about 3,000 a month and it doesn't have friends and family.

Any advice from the Crackberry nation?

Thanks in advance!!!
    11-08-09 09:11 PM
    Sometimes, when hard times hit & savings are thin, you need to cut back on the extras. They've already offered you the bare minimum.

You can forget about texting & the frills, or you can suspend some lines - but the latter will also suspend the clock ticking on upgrades & the contract, too.

Or you can choose to go hungry or homeless.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-09 09:24 PM
    Or you can choose to go hungry or homeless.
    Thanks for the slam. The point of my post was not for pitty or for someone to pass judgement on me and my situation.

The point of the post was to see if there were other plans or options that I had not thought of.
    11-08-09 09:31 PM
    With the amount of minutes that you use it might be a smart idea to take the loyalty share plan and add individual text pkgs to each line. You included how many mobile to mobile minutes but not how many friends and family minutes. They are not the same. You can find that out from your online VZW account or by contacting customer service. If the bulk of your minutes are friends and family then that wouldn't be wise, but then again, customer service won't offer you a plan that would obviously cause you overages so it's not likely that you use friends and family minutes. If you have at least one line that's eligible to upgrade you should drop the insurance and hold on to the upgrade as a emergency upgrade in case anyone breaks a phone. The loyalty plan seems like a good option tho and you can always adjust your plan if needed.
    11-08-09 09:31 PM
    Another thought: buy a couple of cheap, lightly used dumb phones from a reputable seller (make sure they're CDMA). Swap the 2 BlackBerrys for the dumb phones and you'll save another $60 a month. Add that to the $60 you'd save on the loyalty plan and you've just cut your bill in half.
    11-08-09 09:35 PM
    Another thought: buy a couple of cheap, lightly used dumb phones from a reputable seller (make sure they're CDMA). Swap the 2 BlackBerrys for the dumb phones and you'll save another $60 a month. Add that to the $60 you'd save on the loyalty plan and you've just cut your bill in half.
    Seconded on losing the blackberry. That'll save u a bunch

Sorry to hear times r tough. Chin up and you'll get through it.

11-08-09 09:40 PM
    Seconded on losing the blackberry. That'll save u a bunch

Sorry to hear times r tough. Chin up and you'll get through it.

I'll put in a third on losing the berries......
    11-08-09 09:44 PM
    When my parents lost their jobs, I gave up my BB and lowered my texting, and it saved them quite a bit of money. If you need to save money, give up on the BB for a while and return to checking email on the computer. When one or both of you get your jobs back, then you can get the BB's back.
    11-08-09 10:37 PM
    Thanks for the slam. The point of my post was not for pitty or for someone to pass judgement on me and my situation.

The point of the post was to see if there were other plans or options that I had not thought of.
    There was not an ounce of pity in my response, nor was it a slam. Rather, it was a reality check.

I see reality checks as needed when anyone is trying to maintain their conveniences when someone loses a job. Forget about texting, dump the BlackBerrys, pick up some cheap phones to replace them with or suspend lines until you can afford them.

I have no pity for anyone who tries to keep a cell phone that they can't afford - these things are conveniences & nothing more. As I said before, you've been offered the minimum - nothing more can be said or done here - except throw pity in your direction or lie to you. I won't do either.

11-08-09 10:41 PM
    The best way to cut down on your cell bill is to cut down your usage unfortunately. Most people are not overpaying, they're generally on the correct plan for them. So you will need to give up the BB's/texting and/or stop talking so much on the phone in order to save money on the bill.
    11-08-09 10:42 PM
    There was not an ounce of pity in my response, nor was it a slam. Rather, it was a reality check.

I see reality checks as needed when anyone is trying to maintain their conveniences when someone loses a job. Forget about texting, dump the BlackBerrys, pick up some cheap phones to replace them with or suspend lines until you can afford them.

I have no pity for anyone who tries to keep a cell phone that they can't afford - these things are conveniences & nothing more. As I said before, you've been offered the minimum - nothing more can be said or done here - except throw pity in your direction or lie to you. I won't do either.

I second this one right here. If you want to cut cosys you need to cut usage. Thats just the way it is. I'm sure you guys will manage, we used to survive just fine with out cell phones before.
    11-08-09 11:58 PM
    Cut the insurance, the BIS, and drop down to the next lowest minute tier. That alone would save $82 a month. Buy two dumbphones to replace the BB's and sell them on eBay/Craigslist for some much needed extra cash. Your plan would only be for 700 minutes but your unlimited texting would still be there. Just tell the family to text and not call unless it is absolutely necessary.
    11-09-09 12:41 AM

face it, u r rude.
    11-09-09 01:40 AM
    face it, u r rude.
    Aw, poor little thing - did I offend you? First, learn to write, then choose to add something of value, then read my signature.
    11-09-09 02:21 AM
    I agree, lose the berries. Then drop to 700 min.
    I don't know about selling them though.
    Last edited by bluerskyes; 11-09-09 at 06:46 AM.
    11-09-09 06:43 AM
    Hi All,

I am looking for some advice from my fellow Crackberry users. My wife recently lost her job and our family is struggling to make ends meet. I cannot afford early termination fees, nor can I afford to continue paying $225 a month to Verizon for cell service.

Our current plan is this:

NATIONWIDE SELECT FAMILY SHARE PRIMARY 1400 $110.00
    Friend and Family
    4 Insurances 4x$8
    2 BIS charges 2x$30
    3 Add A Lines 3x$10
    Total after taxes and discounts is about $225 each month.

Usage each month:
    Peak 41 Minutes
    Off Peak 229
    M2M Calling Peak 421 (Mostly Friends and Family)
    M2M Calling Off Peak 182 (Mostly Friends and Family)

I emailed Verizon to see if there were any ways to save on my current plans. They offered me something called the Loyalty Share Plan that has 550 minutes per month to share between the four lines for $59.99 for the Primary line and, $9.99 each for the three secondary lines. There are two problems with that plan - it does not include texting, of which we use about 3,000 a month and it doesn't have friends and family.

Any advice from the Crackberry nation?

Thanks in advance!!!
    As a customer of vzw and a rep... I believe you got good advice from verizon. As well as Twinz... As Dave Ramsey would say... live within your means. Beans and Rice; Rice and Beans.
    And if that means going bear bones on a cell phone plan then so be it.
    My advice is to Take EVERYTHING down you can... obviously save the smartphone plans. *agree with the others on nixing the berries for now.. getting flip phones; enless business dictates for you*
    You can block the texting so there is no temptations or accidental chgs.
    Have a family meeting about making double sure not to use too many min as its important not to have overages.
    Ive had to do this before. Things get better, but sometimes less is more.
    Very honestly too... after I reduced as much as I could the last time we were behind the 8 ball... we never actually had to boost things back up because we had become accustom to the reduced usage on both voice and text. We now have 3 lines that cost us about $130 a month. No discounts because I'm a rep because the lines are in my bf's name so that can not be taken into account.
    There ARE ways to cut back. Good Luck to you and hope everthing gets back on their feet soon.
    Another thing... IF your berry is something you need for business, you might want to talk to your employer about getting on a business plan with others so that you can take your line out of the mix.
    My $.02
    Last edited by IDsweetcheeks; 11-09-09 at 08:46 AM.
    11-09-09 08:44 AM
    As a customer of vzw and a rep... I believe you got good advice from verizon. As well as Twinz... As Dave Ramsey would say... live within your means. Beans and Rice; Rice and Beans.
    And if that means going bear bones on a cell phone plan then so be it.
    My advice is to Take EVERYTHING down you can... obviously save the smartphone plans. *agree with the others on nixing the berries for now.. getting flip phones; enless business dictates for you*
    You can block the texting so there is no temptations or accidental chgs.
    Have a family meeting about making double sure not to use too many min as its important not to have overages.
    Ive had to do this before. Things get better, but sometimes less is more.
    Very honestly too... after I reduced as much as I could the last time we were behind the 8 ball... we never actually had to boost things back up because we had become accustom to the reduced usage on both voice and text. We now have 3 lines that cost us about $130 a month. No discounts because I'm a rep because the lines are in my bf's name so that can not be taken into account.
    There ARE ways to cut back. Good Luck to you and hope everthing gets back on their feet soon.
    Another thing... IF your berry is something you need for business, you might want to talk to your employer about getting on a business plan with others so that you can take your line out of the mix.
    My $.02
    Thank you for the advice! I appreciate the well worded response and not a soapbox rant.

Since I do use my phone for a mix of work/family, I may see what is available there.

Thanks!
    11-09-09 09:16 AM
    You included how many mobile to mobile minutes but not how many friends and family minutes. They are not the same. You can find that out from your online VZW account or by contacting customer service. If the bulk of your minutes are friends and family then that wouldn't be wise, but then again, customer service won't offer you a plan that would obviously cause you overages so it's not likely that you use friends and family minutes.
    I did not see a way on the web site to separate F&F minutes from the M2M minutes. It looks like Verizon lumps them all together. Is there a way to separate and identify which is which?
    11-09-09 09:19 AM
    what do you think of the idea of dumping your balckberries?
    11-09-09 09:47 AM
    what do you think of the idea of dumping your balckberries?
    At this point, that is not really an option. Our kids are all in schoola nd in various activities. The calendar and reminder function on the Blackberry is very useful for keeping track of our lives and those of our kids.
    11-09-09 09:52 AM
    there are dumbphones that have nearly the same calendar features
    11-09-09 09:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD