Hello, new to BB's. My first will be here monday. It's used from ebay, I read something about a PIN being released? What does this mean and how can I tell if it's released. thanks
    03-27-09 12:23 AM
    Every BlackBerry has a PIN number sort of like a social security number and it is used to indentify each individual BB and some third party applications use it as an activation code.

The PIN is also used in the BlackBerry Messenger application that your new BB will have for instant messenging from one BB to another and doesn't count as a text message.

You can also send regular SMS, MMS and emails via PIN to other BB's as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-09 01:59 AM
    This might explain the PIN a little better.

Each BlackBerry device is assigned a unique eight-digit number called a personal identification number (PIN). You can find your BlackBerry's PIN by selecting the Options icon, then clicking Status. Your PIN will appear in the Status screen.

Sending a PIN message

There are two ways to send messages directly to a BlackBerry user's PIN rather than to the user's email address, depending on whether you have the PIN stored in a contact in your address book or not. If you have a contact in your address book with the PIN entered, you can select the PIN using the Compose application. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Select the Compose icon (the open envelope and pencil).

2. In the "To:" list, scroll to the correct contact. Click the trackwheel to display a drop-down menu for the contact.

3. If you have stored a PIN for this contact, PIN will appear in the menu. Select it.

4. Compose your message and send it as usual. When the message is sent, it will be routed using the PIN rather than the email address.Note: The next time you select that contact with the Enter key, the PIN will be used rather than the email address. To reset the contact to use an email address, simply follow the directions listed above and select Email rather than PIN from the menu.If you want to enter a PIN not associated with a contact, you can type the PIN directly into the "To:" field. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Select the Compose icon (the open envelope and pencil).

2. Scroll up to [Use Once] at the top of the "To:" list. Click the trackwheel to display a drop-down menu.

3. From the menu, select PIN. Enter the PIN and press Enter.

4. Compose your message and send it as usual.

Note: PIN to PIN messages are not encrypted and transmit in plaintext, allowing anyone who intercepts them to read them. While this is a remote possibility, you should keep it in mind and not send sensitive information in a PIN to PIN message.

Blackberry Messenger

Messenger combines the reliability and exceptional user experience of BlackBerry with the familiar look-and-feel of instant messaging programs.It's designed to allow you to have a PIN-to-PIN messaging conversation with another BlackBerry user.

Features include:

* PIN to PIN real time messaging

* Group Chat

* File Transfer

* Contact Status

* Message delivery status

03-27-09 02:40 AM
    Do I just ask verizon CS to release a pin?

none of my friends on verizon have bb's, I may need to bother someone here to test out bbmsngr.

can you talk to other bb's with bbim when their on a diff network?
    03-27-09 02:42 AM
    thank you bng
    03-27-09 02:43 AM
    I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by releasing a pin.

You can talk to any BB on any network through BBM.

03-27-09 03:23 AM
    I thought BB Messenger was used more. Since I've gotten my BB I've never been pinned
    03-27-09 06:18 AM
    When you get ready to test out BBM here is the place to go:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f51/
    03-27-09 07:16 AM
    I thought BB Messenger was used more. Since I've gotten my BB I've never been pinned
    Personally, I am not a fan of I'm of any sort. I barely like texting, and that is only as a last resort.

I use BBM for the kids/grandkids & for important things at work where conference notes do well. Socially, not a fan of it.

I definitely would not give out my PIN on a forum like this. I can't change the pin if I have a problem, plus there are too many who might try the techniques the leftists used on Joe the Plumber. Sorry, but I'd shoot someone before I let them harass me.

03-27-09 09:10 PM
    I tried to get your PIN but you never responded. I let it slide.
    03-27-09 09:16 PM
    To the OP you can also type mypin and spacebar and it will give you your pin number. Here is a good link on the basics of BBM...

Lecture 8: How To Use BlackBerry Messenger | CrackBerry.com
    03-27-09 09:27 PM
    I tried to get your PIN but you never responded. I let it slide.
    When was this???

You know that I'd have given you a PIN. It might have been Rican_Medic's PIN, but...

03-27-09 09:28 PM
    On 3/19/2009 at 10:17
    03-27-09 09:52 PM
    In the forums?

03-27-09 10:03 PM
    No. In Private Message..
    03-27-09 10:04 PM
    That explains it. I turned those off because I was tired of the private advice requests (put it out here for all to benefit, plus I don't know everything) and the flames directed toward me for my hardline stands.

These kids haven't yet learned how to distinguish their emotions from reality.

03-27-09 10:14 PM
    Awesome! Maybe we could start a DR. DAD forum and you can compete with DR Phil

okay, I do value your opinions and knowledge of networks
    03-27-09 10:19 PM
    Awesome! Maybe we could start a DR. DAD forum and you can compete with DR Phil

okay, I do value your opinions and knowledge of networks
    Heh - as I do your insight & knowledge of the "inside" and all that.

I always look forward to certain folks' posts - you, Weekendbum & Scott are definitely on that list.

03-27-09 10:36 PM
    Awww <333

The message you have posted is too short, so I am adding this text to allow the post.
    03-27-09 10:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD