So I'm eligible for NE2, and when I went to check on the price of a Storm with a 2 year contract, I noticed that there are currently a LOT of phones on sale, including Blackberries.

Prices with 2 year contract:
    A Pearl is now FREE!
    A Curve is $80 (or $30 if you're eligible for an additional $50 off with NE2).
    A Storm is $200 (or $150 if you're eligible for an additional $50 off with NE2).

I'm a bit saddened that this is an "online discount", since I would rather buy a phone in store and have it Right-The-Eff-Now, but those prices are unbeatable. I wonder if they're doing this to prepare for a new phone launch (Niagara, maybe?)- there are a lot of likely reasons though, including a plain old bad economy resulting in low sales. In any case, there has never been a better time to get a Pearl!

I'm considering upgrading while this sale is going on (and I'm not sure how long the online discount will be, sorry), and had a couple questions for any Verizon reps who might be lurking, or for anyone who has upgraded online before and/or just knows what they're talking about.

1. If I upgrade now, do I have to change to a Blackberry plan now or can I wait until after I receive the phone and want to activate it?

2. If I change the plan now, does my bill increase on my current cycle or the next one? I'm about half-way through my cycle right now.

3. Is the online discount in the form of a rebate or a regular discount?

5. Can new Storm buyers still exchange their phone within 30 days, or did that only apply to those who bought before a certain date?

6. Out of curiosity, since the Pearl is currently free with a 2 year contract before NE2 can even be applied, could I upgrade to a Pearl now and still use my NE2 discount later?

Thanks in advance.
    01-22-09 01:02 PM
    1. You add the data plan when your phone is activated.
    2. It will be prorated, half on this cycle full on the next one.
    3. Online applies instant rebates, there really is difference between online and in store after you get the rebate.
    5. Yes, it's 30 days for any phone. If you exchange for different equipment there is a 35 dollar restocking fee though,
    6. Nope sorry.
    01-22-09 01:12 PM
    Thanks!

Online applies instant rebates, there really is difference between online and in store after you get the rebate.
    Did you mean there is or isn't a price difference after getting the rebate from in-store?
    01-22-09 02:08 PM
    ordering online won't take long either. Verizon ships their phones 2 day air with Fed Ex. I did that with my new berry two weeks ago. It's tough to wait but what's 2 days?
    01-22-09 02:16 PM
    ordering online won't take long either. Verizon ships their phones 2 day air with Fed Ex. I did that with my new berry two weeks ago. It's tough to wait but what's 2 days?
    A long time when you've already been waiting for months! Haha. I will probably end up ordering online for the instant rebate though, because mailed rebates always seem to take a ridiculously long time to show up.

I'm just torn between getting a Storm now or just waiting for a few more months until the Niagara comes out. *sigh*
    01-22-09 02:20 PM
    Hi-i bought my 1st berry- curve 8330- online-and have used online orderin for the past 2yr to order phones and always get them the next day-ordering by 12 noon-never had any prob's if needed to ret/exchange they give u prepaid label to do so. I won't walk into the store to buy nemore-its just cheaper online! I go to the store to ck out the phones tho

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-09 11:04 PM
    Usually the store offers the same discounts as the online store does. The only difference is that the physical store only offers the discount via mail-in-rebate style. So you have to wait for 4-8 weeks to receive your money back...and it comes on a pre-paid visa. So I say, just go with the online store. Sometimes they ship it overnight as an incentive.
    01-22-09 11:38 PM
    Actually, if you do a direct comparison between the store price & the online price, there often is a difference, even after rebates.
    Yes, online ordering usually gives you rebates/credits upfront, but the final cost is generally lower online. When you buy online, you're not paying for commissioned or incentived staff, nor brick & mortar costs. The store often cannot even come close to matching price when you point it out on the site in their store.

In between, you can order by phone, where they can sometimes match price, but you will have to deal with the mail-in rebate hassle.

I'd rather get the discounts upfront, rather than waiting for a mail-in rebate that could expire or get lost.

Before the anti-VZW crowd takes this as another reason to slam VZW, know that all the carriers have similar pricing practices, as does Walmart, Petsmart, BestBuy and others.

Usually your best deal is online.

01-23-09 03:25 PM
    I went ahead and ordered online to save money... although the sales tax is based on the full retail price of the phone. Harsh!

I'm a bit worried because Verizon sent me an e-mail saying my order had shipped- to my address, WITHOUT THE APARTMENT NUMBER. Now I'm afraid that my phone is going to be delivered to the wrong person. I'm assuming I should be contacting FedEx about this and not Verizon, though... anyone know if there's anything that can be done? Alternatively, does anyone know if apartment numbers don't show up in the e-mail but end up being present on the actual address label?
    01-23-09 03:51 PM
    You can check with either Verizon or FedEx - if Verizon gave you a tracking number you can contact FedEx directly and leave out the middle-man. Not sure if e-mails don't show apt #s, anything is possible. Couldn't hurt to double-check.

Early welcome to the family - what device did you decide to go with?
    01-23-09 04:01 PM
    Verizon did provide me with a tracking number, so I guess I'm going to call FedEx and let them give me the run-around.

I went with the Storm. I think my options were always "either get the Storm or wait for the Niagara". Going with the Pearl would have been a waste of an NE2 upgrade and as far as I can tell the Curve will be outdated technology very soon. I've been waiting to get a Blackberry for months, so I don't want to wait even longer for the Niagara since there's no official statement that it's being released at all, let alone in May.

IMO the problems with the Storm have been blown way out of proportion on these forums because those who are displeased are the loudest. It seems like a pretty solid device with a lot of potential. It'll just take some getting used to for me since it's my first Blackberry AND my first touch screen phone.
    01-23-09 04:07 PM
    Personally I can't stand touchscreen, but I know of many who love not only touchsreen, but their Storms, too. Its a personal preference.

As for the Storm issues, I agree. Mostly blown out of proportion and any remaining issues will be corrected with subsequent software releases.

After all, is RIM any different than any other technology company? If they were, and got it right the first time, there would never be any need for software updates.

01-23-09 05:58 PM
    Good luck on ur purch of storm-my bro in law got 1 last wk and he really likes it-but 4 me I'm not crazy bout all touch screen-its all a personal pref! Enjoy! Welcome to bb! Hopefully fedex w/del 2 ur apt #. If u put the # in w/addr on the order somewhere it shuld b ok.

01-24-09 11:04 PM
    Verizon did provide me with a tracking number, so I guess I'm going to call FedEx and let them give me the run-around.

I went with the Storm. I think my options were always "either get the Storm or wait for the Niagara". Going with the Pearl would have been a waste of an NE2 upgrade and as far as I can tell the Curve will be outdated technology very soon. I've been waiting to get a Blackberry for months, so I don't want to wait even longer for the Niagara since there's no official statement that it's being released at all, let alone in May.

IMO the problems with the Storm have been blown way out of proportion on these forums because those who are displeased are the loudest. It seems like a pretty solid device with a lot of potential. It'll just take some getting used to for me since it's my first Blackberry AND my first touch screen phone.
    I have the Storm and in no way have the problems been blown out of proportion. I like many expected the phone to perform a lot better, or up to Blackberry standards. I am patiently awaiting the OS updates and it is very apparent RIM is working on correcting the software problems. The hardware issue with the screen click, buttons falling-off, and dust under the screen (especially with the release date phones) is well documented. Inspect the hardware and any deficiencies, exchange it for a working model. You are right that it has a lot of potential. Do yourself a favor and keep the date for 30 day return policy. If you do not like the phone or feel comfortable with the phone by the 29th day, then return it because your feelings will probably not change. I hope you do like the phone, many do. I have owned the Pearl, Curve, and now Storm. IMO, the Curve is the better of the three.
    01-25-09 01:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD