Ok, so here is my situation:

I am on a family plan, 4 phones. My line is not the primary line. I am eligible for an upgrade 8/31, so says the verizon website. "Eligible to upgrade with discounted pricing on 8/31/09. If you prefer, you can upgrade today at full retail price.Your contract end date is 12/31/09." I plan on purchasing the blackberry tour when I can upgrade. With said upgrade, what will the new price of the Tour be? I would like the 2-year price, which is 199.99, but I do not wish to extend my 2-year contract for another 2 years just yet. What are my options here? Can I purchase the tour for my line when my line is eligible for an upgrade, without extending my family's contract? If so, what will the associated costs be? Will it affect just the purchasing price or will it also affect my monthly price for the phone?

I realize this is complicated and possibly difficult to follow, but everyone's insight is very much appreciated. Thanks guys!
    08-25-09 02:20 AM
    Ok, so here is my situation:

I am on a family plan, 4 phones. My line is not the primary line. I am eligible for an upgrade 8/31, so says the verizon website. "Eligible to upgrade with discounted pricing on 8/31/09. If you prefer, you can upgrade today at full retail price.Your contract end date is 12/31/09." I plan on purchasing the blackberry tour when I can upgrade. With said upgrade, what will the new price of the Tour be? I would like the 2-year price, which is 199.99, but I do not wish to extend my 2-year contract for another 2 years just yet. What are my options here? Can I purchase the tour for my line when my line is eligible for an upgrade, without extending my family's contract? If so, what will the associated costs be? Will it affect just the purchasing price or will it also affect my monthly price for the phone?

I realize this is complicated and possibly difficult to follow, but everyone's insight is very much appreciated. Thanks guys!
    Ok since you are elig. to upgrade end of the month if you choose to upgrade at the 2yr price which is the 199.99 that will extend your contract. You can not get around getting the tour at that price without extending your contract. You can look at other sources I.E. ebay, Craigslist... to find a tour you may pay more for it out of pocket but you will not be locked into a contract hope that helps. And if you upgrade your line you will just be extending your lines contract not anyone else in your family. Hope this is clear. As far as monthly costs go it is an extra $29.99/month for a Blackberry Data plan that gives you unlimited internet access on your blackberry and it's a must have there is no way around it on verizon. And starting Sept. 6th this will be a requirement for AT&T customers as well.
    08-25-09 02:56 AM
    I realize this is complicated
    It's not, simply put, if you don't sign a two year agreement, you don't get the two year agreement price.
    08-25-09 07:06 AM
    With said upgrade, what will the new price of the Tour be? I would like the 2-year price, which is 199.99, but I do not wish to extend my 2-year contract for another 2 years just yet. What are my options here? Can I purchase the tour for my line when my line is eligible for an upgrade, without extending my family's contract? If so, what will the associated costs be? Will it affect just the purchasing price or will it also affect my monthly price for the phone?

This is actually simple, as the other two said.

If you want it for the $149 (price has been reduced), you must extend your contract by 2 years, because this is the 2-year price. You can go to the website to see what the 1 year contract price and no contract price is.

Also, as has been said, when you upgrade your phone on a family plan, it only affects YOUR phone's contract, not the length of the family share contract. I have 3 lines on a family share, each has a different contract end date.

Also, as has been said, you can get a new phone from a different source, bring to vzw, and not be locked to any contract.
    08-25-09 08:09 AM
    Call Verizon customer care or stop in a store. They would be more than happy to answer your questions and (if in store) show you the phone.
    08-25-09 11:49 AM
    Also, as has been said, when you upgrade your phone on a family plan, it only affects YOUR phone's contract, not the length of the family share contract.
    I didn't know that. Very good info.
    08-25-09 01:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD